Blade Runner 2049

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by ponkine, Dec 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

Who evaded detection in BR 2049? Maybe spoiler tag your answer just in case.

englishbob likes this.
  2. Stratoblaster

Stratoblaster A skeptical believer....

I just re-watched this the other day and liked it even better the second time. I don't mind the 'slow burn' pacing at all; coupled with the fantastic imagery, photography, sound, and overall look/vibe the whole movie has a dream-like, ethereal quality to it that I find compelling.

Much has been said about the dour performance by Ryan Gosling but I think he did a great job reflecting the characters nature; "K" doesn't fit in anywhere, humans and replicants alike hate and despise him, is unsure of who he is, and merely only 'exists'. The result is a flat, emotionless, reserved personality, and Ryan got that IMO.

The character is only 'happy' when he interacts with the hologram-girl in the privacy of his home away from the world and you can see the gears ticking inside his head in a lot of scenes. "K", by his very nature, doesn't emote externally...it's all 'upstairs'.

You do feel for him when he is lying on the steps at the end and he's realized his memories are all fake and his path of discovery and awakening (that he was the baby of Rachel and Deckard) are just not the case.

I liked the story, the questions it makes you think about, and where the story went from the original.

Anyway, great movie, there is a lot to like about it...particularly the overall atmosphere and strange vibe.

jamesc, wondergrape, polchik and 7 others like this.
  3. Wild Frank

Wild Frank Forum Resident

I agree. I love the movie and watched it again last weekend with my two teenage boys. They loved it too and weren't put off by the slow pace. As you say the imagery and sound keeps you invested but all the performances are great too.

On a related issue there is a graphic novel Bladerunner series running (Bladerunner 2019). I just brought the first volume and it is a good read.

4. Greg Smith

Greg Smith Forum Resident

It's one of my fave films of the 2010's, think it will grow in statue.

mark renard, polchik, Purple and 5 others like this.
  5. And probably in status too! ;)

Greenalishi likes this.
  6. Greg Smith

Greg Smith Forum Resident

Bloody spellcheck....

Greenalishi and SteveM like this.
  7. Lol! Tell me about it. I'm trying to find out how to rid my Android of it. Invariably it never "corrects" me, in fact, it's just the opposite.:realmad:

Greenalishi and Greg Smith like this.
  8. surfling

surfling Forum Resident

I fully agree with everything you said. I've watched the movie maybe 8 times now and still discover new details.
    I sometimes watch just half an hour, for the beauty of the visuals.

I think it will go along the path of the first Blade Runner movie - a slow start with mediocre reviews but across time full recognition of what a visionary masterpiece it is.

9. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

somehow ironic, maybe?

Greenalishi and RexKramer like this.
  10. GreggF

GreggF Forum Resident

It's a very worthy sequel.

11. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

I loved the movie. Seemed like an excellent successor to the first. Which is difficult. But they kept the spirit style and pace. Same feel but still had it’s own story to tell. It took a lot of criticism which surprised me. And I thought missed the point. Very worth seeing again.

12. Doctor Worm

Doctor Worm Romans 6:23

A great sequel and one of the few modern films that truly blew me away. I need to pick up the 4K version of this at some point---I bet it's even more stunning.

Stratoblaster and Greenalishi like this.
  13. rufus t firefly

rufus t firefly Forum Resident

I am a huge fan of this movie. I was lucky to have seen it in a small theatre with a huge screen in an artsy Village theatre in NYC. Incredible achievement in film making. I can't wait to see Denis Villanueve's Dune.

polchik, Purple and Stratoblaster like this.
  14. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I wonder how many casual fans saw 2049, who had only seen the original incarnations of the original, and came because of the buzz, without a complete grasp of the original's significance in later versions.

Stratoblaster likes this.
  15. saturdayboy

saturdayboy Forum Resident

Interesting, what’s the general story of the graphic novel?

16. saturdayboy

17. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

huh?

18. saturdayboy

****SPOILER ALERT***** In the Director’s Cut and Final Cut Ridley makes it clear that Deckard is a replicant

unclefred likes this.
  19. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

Yeah I've seen and own all versions-I think these very strongly support that conclusion but maybe not definitively-I just couldn't understand what the poster was trying to say.

20. Stratoblaster

When I heard he was doing Dune it I got immensely excited...if there ever was a guy who is going to nail it it's Denis. The only movie in eons that I've been anticipating big time.

21. Stratoblaster

Yea the question of whether Deckard is a replicant or not is still pretty murky IMO; it's not so clear cut even though Ridley says he is the other screenwriter (and Ford) says he isn't, and on and on....apparently there are several versions of the original which also doesn't help narrow things down definitively.

The 'evidence' both for and against is detailed in several essays and are interesting reads, but I like that they've never explicitly stated the answer in the movies...it's a fun mystery to debate.

IMO, no, Deckard was not a replicant.

polchik, Runicen, Purple and 2 others like this.
  22. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

It’s cool the murky ness. And the fact that two people involved disagree is just awesome. Adds to the grey the whole feel o Blade Runner.

polchik and Stratoblaster like this.
  23. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

Deckard fathered a child with a replicant and that child is human as far as the movie let on. Can two replicants make a human or human/replicant yield a human? Who knows?

Greenalishi and Stratoblaster like this.
  24. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I was saying, there's people who saw Blade Runner, who also were aware it wasn't the way the filmmaker actually intended it (see: Terry Gilliam and "Brazil" for more background on this obvious point). There's also people who obsessed over how Blade Runner should have presented itself...and, were not only aware, but even bigger fans of the film in its' later edits, both removing the final narrative, and eventually the inclusion of the original unicorn inferences...and how that changed the way you were supposed to digest the film in the first place. In fact, maybe you heard about it, the film has now grown to immense stature since its' early '80s release, because of the different messages we now get from the film today in retrospect.

But, there are still some casual sci-fi fans of the film, who only remember it from that one time they saw it at the Mall back in tha day, and only remember it for Rutger Hauer, and Sean Young, and somewhere between then and now, they got it all confused with Knight Rider and The Empire Strikes Back, and that awesome date with Gwen, and *poof* the '80s were just a memory. And now, those people hear there's a "sequel" to that old Sean Young film Blade Runner, and geez, why for cryin' out loud, wasn't that just some special-FX movie I saw back in tha day when I was dating Gwen - mmmm, Gwen-! What ever happened to her...

...and so, it's that last category of casual fans, who have gone through the '80s and '90s and beyond, with no further retrospective awareness on how the significance of the original movieBlade Runner has changed both sci-fi fans lives, and the whole discourse on the future of A.I. in general over the past three decades, when suddenly Entertainment Tonite tells them they're gettin' the old band back together again. So, to put it into context for you...I wonder about the differing impressions of the two sorts of audiences, based on their awareness level, upon learning a) there's a "sequel" to Blade Runner, and b) why somebody thought there was something they needed to tell us about Blade Runner. And so, I wondered aloud, what the differences in impressions of this sequel might be on these two different sources of audiences coming in to see Blade runner 2049.

Closer now to understanding...or is it all just "tears in rain" to you...? ;)

rufus t firefly likes this.
  25. Wild Frank

Wild Frank Forum Resident

It’s set around the time of the original film, and a couple of characters from the movie are involved. The main character is a female Bladerunner and she is chasing down a kidnapped child which she, in a subsequent volume I imagine, will take under her wing. It’s a good little read.

saturdayboy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.