Blade Runner 2049

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by ponkine, Dec 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Ahh, yes, Of course.

FVDnz likes this.
  2. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

I hope it is more enjoyable than Alien Covenant was - I couldn't stand the hokey special affects - way too much showing of the baby Alien.

3. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

It's true! And Ridley asked me to spy on him to make sure he didn't spill any secrets! It's so exciting to play this game!

agentalbert likes this.
  4. THAT was the only think you hated?

rebellovw likes this.
  5. samurai

samurai Step right up! See the glory, of the royal scam.

Oh those damned replicants again.

6. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Do you have a couple hours? hahaa

The scene where the artificial asks the captain to look inside the open egg - they must have forgotten the 'your shoe laces are untied joke'

7. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

Will there be any other short prequels? This one is a tasty appetizer.

8. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Yes, there should be two more. From the article at HDF where I saw the video, it says:

"The piece, titled Nexus:2036, is the first of three prequel clips that will help fill in the gaps between the original Blade Runner set in 2019 and the upcoming sequel set in 2049."​

I'm looking forward to more two, I really liked this.

robertawillisjr and andybeau like this.
  9. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

As much as I hope to the contrary, I can't help but worry this thing is gonna land with a thud. If for no other reason, than so many people are hoping it cooks.

There's no difference between that first bowl of ice cream, and the second bowl of ice cream. So, howcum the first one is the best? Because your tounge doesn't really know what it's in for yet.
    And the insideousness of ice cream is, the subject is compelled to try just one more bowl of ice cream, hoping to that that initial high from "discovering" that particular ice cream, over and over,
    with diminishing results each time your right brain shouts, "Wait-wha? No, this is wrong!" And your left brain growls, "Mmmorrrre!"

Remember back when George Lucas didn't learn that, and started sticking tauntauns all over the place?

Yes, the original was not only good, but grew to be comething discussed, pondered, re-experienced and eventually, somebody threw more money up in the air and shouted, "It's ON!" And it's just
    not possible that a lot of the wrong people are going to have quite too much of a say in this one. As is over-confidence, lack of confidence, fifty-six takes, bonus takes in a box that would have made
    so much more sense in a theater, geishas on the side of a building for no other reason than they had 'em in the first one, stunt-casting, stunt-stunting, plot holes, plot extensions, plot distractions,
    plot momentum, sequel set-ups, cliffhangers, unfinished footage covered by narrations...and probably a whole section devoted to unicorns, that have no relevance to this movie.

Anyway, that's the list for my drinking game.

Runicen, Ghostworld and Solaris like this.
  10. Pipi3

Pipi3 Forum Resident

I am indeed a bit worried about this. I really wondered why Vangelis did not play a big part to this project. I would have really enjoyed a revisited Blade Runner soundtrack. In my opinion, Vangelis is way more superior than Johansson, Zimmer and Wallfisch. Oh well, that original soundtrack is just a masterpiece ;-)

DHamilton, razerx and CrazyCatz like this.
  11. Pipi3

Pipi3 Forum Resident

The cinematography on the new Blade Runner looks quite gorgeous (thanks to Roger Deakins). On the other hand, I am not sure about Arrival, which made little sense to me considering that an extraterrestrial capable of interstellar travel being "inefficient" to communicate with another species. Anyway, I was not fond of the thematic, and found that movie dragging down too long for things that were not very relevant.

However, I am looking forward to Blade Runner 2049 . I hope it will not disappoint! We shall see.

12. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

The new short film starring Dave Bautista.

13. Pipi3

Pipi3 Forum Resident

Ezcellent. Thanks for sharing!

Encuentro likes this.
  14. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

yes thanks

Encuentro likes this.
  15. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Looks god awful.

16. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

The 1982 is being shown in my local theatre next [as a prelude to the sequel] but I don't know which version?..............as part of their 4K season.
    I really want to see the original voice over version again......has anyone heard of similar previews ..........or if the showing is even from a new 4K version?

17. Pipi3

Pipi3 Forum Resident

I need to watch that one too. I thought the director cut was not very good. Not big fan with the idea of Deckard being a replicant. He never was in the original book, and Deckard being a replicant add some serious caveats in the storyline.

Roy Batty saving the human makes actually much more sense to me.

Runicen and Solaris like this.
  18. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

Yes. Batty saving Deckard (a human) adds an interesting level of irony to the story and commentary on how dehumanized Deckard had become in his work. Making Deckard a replicant steers all that into the iceberg in favor of a clever-clever "twist." Scott is many things, but a deep thinker he is not.

Runicen, Lonson and Pipi3 like this.
  19. Pipi3

Pipi3 Forum Resident

The cinematograohic aspect of the original movie is superb, this is the area for which Ridley excelled. I feel the Final Cut added very little to the original story. I wished the voiceover sections had been better executed by Ford (he was not keen on the idea), this is the part I would have liked to be enhanced as it would have made the movie even more like a "film noir".

Vangelis created one of the most astonishing soundtrack I have even experienced and I wish he was back to business with this new chapter. Sadly Zimmer will take part of the project. He's a decent composer but his music lacks of soul. He will never produce a track like Memories of Geeen. Vangelis is a genius

Runicen and CrazyCatz like this.
  20. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

I would assume the "Final Cut" unless they advertise it as a 35mm print, and then it might be the original theatrical.

21. Pipi3

Pipi3 Forum Resident

22. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

“Blade runner 2049” When are the sci-fi people going to wise up and figure out the world barely changes in 30 years? Time and time again they slap these outrageously close dates on science-fiction films predicting we’ll be in our flying cars accompanied by our talking robots, when, in reality, by the slated date we’lll probably only have slightly bigger iPhones and a few thousand less people clinging to their Chevy F150s?

I saw the longest trailer I’ve seen yet from this film and it looks kind of clunky to me. Robin Wright as the new Senator Palpatine, Jared Letro as another dull Heath ledger Joker clone. Harrison Ford however looks surprisingly good! Why oh why did you let Kylo Ren get so close? Plot wise, I don’t like the idea that there’s gonna be some vast conspiracy involved this time. I love the simplicity of the Original “Blade Runner” —. I’m a blade runner I kill rogue robots.End of concept. If they’re going to introduce some baloney government/corporate conspiracy it’s just going to get trite. Most of the time by adding new levels of complexity, you’re simply adding more levels of cliché.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
    Scott222C likes this.
  23. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident

A friend of a friend watched the new film. One of the top 5 Sci-Fi films of all-time, she says.

I’m ready.

SuntoryTime likes this.
  24. Pipi3

Pipi3 Forum Resident

SuntoryTime likes this.
  25. cwsiggy

cwsiggy Forum Resident

Wow, from what I'm seeing on Twitter, they are saying things like mind blowing, stunning, amazing etc etc. Cant wait for this. One reviewer warned that any review can't help but have spoilers so best to avoid real reviews if you want to go in unspoiled.

SuntoryTime likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.