Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

Blatant MFSL RIP-OFF

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Kayaker, Feb 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member Thread Starter

2. GregY

GregY New Member

Other than the fact that it says "rare", which is subjective, I'm confused as to why you think it's a rip-off.

3. deadcoldfish

deadcoldfish Senior Member

It may be that it only appears to be a MFSL, but it's more than likely a "bootleg" from the Far East.

But I do wonder what's on the second disc ...

4. Kayaker

Its a bootleg from China not a MFSL. It blantantly infringes on the copyrights of MFSL. Its misleading to those unsaavy ebay members who think they are purchasing an authentic MFSL item. Patricia Barber will recieve no royalties from it. I can go on and on.

5. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Forum Resident

Unfortunately Ebay will/can do nothing about it. There are tons of bootleg anime DVD's & CD's all over Ebay & unless the actual rights holder wants to get involved Ebay will not/can't do anything.

6. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

These CDs come up regularly. You probably only just noticed it because you are searching for "MFSL". If you look for "Gold" you will see a few of these.

The seller says "L/MFSL" in the subject line - are we to interpret this as "Like MFSL"? Misleading advertising that eBay does not seem to want to stop.

7. Kayaker

Its the first time I saw the new generation of MFSL's get the bootleg treatment. Also - the seller is a well known buyer and seller of MFSL Gold to many of us here. He should know better.

8. Mike V

Mike V New Member

eBay once (3+ years ago) cancelled one of my ads where I advertised a DCC & used the "not MFSL" copy. They sent me a stern warning too. Geez, with all the BS going on over there you'd think they could let it slide!

9. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Someone may have reported it: I think they regard that as "keyword spamming". I see so much of that, it's sickening. And when someone uses it in a legit sense and gets busted? Even more sickening.

There are worse violations than keyword spamming, IMHO.

10. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Check into Ebay's VeRO system: Verified Rights Owner. Ebay now maintains a list of those record labels, artists and organizations who WILL take action if a violating item is posted. In fact, they are actually listed as Ebay members so you can contact them. The RIAA, much as I can't stand them, also has a couple of contact e-mail addresses. I've been successful in having some Herb Alpert auctions yanked in the past, but not sure if it was my e-mails to the RIAA or the fact that they were CD-Rs.

You may be in luck--if you come across a disc that you know for sure is a pirated version, give the VeRO system a try. It's not perfect, but you can at least get the RIAA a heads-up and, if the original record label (who owns the recordings) is listed, they should take action on it. Just make sure the auction doesn't end within 24 hours or they may not have enough time to kill it.

My modus operandii lately is to report everything I feel is suspicious. Last night, it was an auction for a pack of bubble gum and a CD-R of a Herb Alpert album. Duuuuh...some sellers.... :rolleyes:

11. Kayaker

Think he felt the heat -

"The seller ended this listing early because the item is no longer available for sale. "

Anyone here report this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.