Blind Faith Self Titled: Is it just murky?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Danny, Jan 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have a dutch vinyl pressing (RSO label) that sounds pretty open (compared to the domestic originals) but WHOA, a very dynamic record, playable at insane levels since there's no sizzly treble. I figured they mixed it while monitoring it LOUD and so they eq'ued out all the 6k +. Just a theory.

2. kurtphyre

kurtphyre Senior Member<br>Formerly fogged.zep

[​IMG]

Is this the best Blind Faith CD out? Is it made by Polydor or MSFL?

3. t3hSheepdog

t3hSheepdog Forum Artist

when I was talking about what Steive Van Zandt said, he was talking about the polydor one
    he said it sucked/ avoid avoid avoid!
    soooooooooooo go with the MFSL

4. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

THAT is the MFSL. However there are TWO MFSL, UDI and UDII. That picture is a UDII,
    Is there a difference between the UDI and UDII?

I don't know! :hide:

5. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

Think Allman Brothers!
    JG

6. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Either UD 1 or 2 will sound great! Some people prefer the UD1.
    If I had been in the MFSL art department, I think the Atco 33-405B cover would have been used - the naked young girl makes you feel dodgy even listening to the album. Electric Ladyland (Polydor UK) was a different kettle of fish - real women!!
    It's a great album, but the tracks vary in quality. Bill Levenson seems to have voiced the DE edition to sound like the Atco vinyl, whereas the MFSL is somewhere between that and the brighter UK Polydor vinyl, but with much better dynamics.

7. LesPaul666

LesPaul666 Mr Markie - The Rock And Roll Snarkie

I think Dennis Drake mastered both the RSO and Polydor CD's, if I remember right...The only difference being that they removed the two bonus tracks. Anyone know more about this?

8. wildchild

wildchild Active Member

Try the MFSL CD.[/QUOTE]
    ACK! Try the vinyl, much better

9. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

I had the RSO a while ago, and now have a Polydor USA. They're very similar, though I don't remember any excessive distortion on the first track on the RSO. It sounds like clipping/mistracking on the Polydor, only on the loudest parts. Everything else, including the very loud cymbal crashes, is there. The Polydor is not bad, but I recall the RSO being really nice.

10. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

Is the producer at all responsible? I'm going blank. I think Jimmy Miller. Or was he the Stones' exclusively by then? Maybe Tom Dowd?

Looks like I'll need to go check AMG yet again...

11. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

It wasn't just Atlantic, though . . . I.I.N.M., some copies of Blind Faith were pressed for Atco by Columbia, and as was the case with most of the pressings they did for Atlantic, its subsidiaries and distributed labels, Columbia did their own mastering ("dub of a dub of a dub of a . . . "). I actually saw one time a reference acetate(!) from Columbia's East 52nd Street studios of one side of the album.

Although, again I.I.N.M., Atlantic's own studios still had that g.d. HAECO* CSG** processing still in use then. Take your pick as to which of these reasons explain, at least in part, the way the album sounded back in the day . . .

* HAECO = Holzer Audio Engineering Co. ** CSG = Compatible Stereo Generator.

12. Beatle Terr

Beatle Terr Super Senior SH Forum Member Musician & Guitarist

This is the LP I had to special order because of the cover before it came out I saw the Alt cover as it was shown in my latest issue of Billboard.

I'd gather to say that it was an Atco/Atlantic pressing!! All I know is I was the only one to have the Version #2 cover as nobody else was selling it. All stores just carried the cover with the group on the front with the bands name on it BLIND FAITH. Which was a pretty boring looking cover in comparison.

13. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

So whats wrong with the MFSL LP version of this ? Is it not as good as the MFSL CD version?

14. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Jimmy Miller. Although I'm not sure how much he "produced" as much as went through the piles of tapes (I think the number I've heard is 40+ hours) to pick what to release.

Allmusic.com mentions George Chkiantz and Andy Johns as engineers, although I could have sworn Glyn Johns was involved as well.

FYI, Can't Find My Way Home was supposedly done live in the studio, with the group around 3 microphones.

15. reeler

reeler Forum Resident

I'm thinking Hoffman thinks the deluxe edition is pretty good, since he's giving one away and surely would not lay dreck on us groupies. The "deluxe edition" mastered by Suha Gur totally stomped the Atco Lp in my shootout. You can still hear the same distortion in "had to cry today" so the cd was'nt given excessive no noise. Never heard the Mofi, but I think the Deluxe Blind Faith and the Deluxe Frampton comes alive sound excellent.

16. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I don't remember the original album sounding too bad on the DE, but I'm not totally thrilled with the mixes of the bonus tracks. IMO Sleeping in the Ground sounds nicer on Crossroads, while the electric Can't Find My Way Home sounds nicer on the Winwood box. Unfortunately that mix eliminates one of the guitar solos somewhat clumsily.

17. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

The originl UK Polydor has the distortion in Had To Cry Today - it seems to be associated with ?Eric Clapton's guitar

18. wildchild

wildchild Active Member

It is vastly superior to the cd (I own both!)

19. sungshinla

sungshinla Vinyl and Forum Addict

This is taken from my reply (and a request for info) to another thread. The three copies of the original UK Polydor that I am referring to have very early stampers, one with (A/1 B/1) and the other two with (A/2 B/1). The A/1 B/1 stamper also has numbers after the A/1 and B/1 and those numbers are the lowest I have seen except for one owned by this guy in the UK (and I have seen over 20 copies of this original UK Polydors over the years).

"I have not heard any CD versions of this but I do have three UK originals by Polydor, a Mo-FI and an original Japanese Polydor (all on vinyl).

On the earliest stamper of the three UK originals, I observed only one instance of distortion on the first track of Side A. The distortion only appears on the left channel when Eric Clapton is playing his guitar. The guitar lick becomes distorted and sounds more like a crunching noise or overloaded recording. The distortion lasts for less than a second.

On the later stampers of the UK originals, the distortion occurs in about 3 to 5 different places during the first track of Side A.

On the Japanese original (which I think is early 70's vintage) and the Mo-Fi (which I would guess would be 80's vintage), the distortion occurs a couple of more times.

Would any of you play the first track on your CD to see if you hear this distortion of Clapton's guitar, and if so, approximately how many times? I have a theory that deterioration of the original master tape (whether through overuse or degeneration) is causing the distortion and the frequency of its occurrence. I would like to find out if the CDs (which were produced well after my vinyl counterparts) have this problem and if the problem has gotten worse.

I thank you in advance.
    "

20. BooYaa!

BooYaa! New Member

Oh good, so I'm not going crazy and my equipment isn't heading south. :)

21. VinylNutz

VinylNutz Active Member

I have a UK pressing too on Polydor and it is pretty good compared the the Canadian RSO pressing I had. At least it is not murky.

22. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

I picked up a gatefold UK Polydor copy last week for cheap. Inside the outer plastic sleeve was a Jem sticker, so this must be an 80s copy(?).

Anyway, murky was not my reaction. I don't know the album that well, but really enjoyed listening to this copy.

23. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

To me, the sound is similar to Cream's Goodbye album; just not very hi-fi.

24. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

Another vote for the MFSL cd - sounds great to me.

25. BITBANGER

BITBANGER Senior Member

I have a Columbia mastered LP (machine stamped ST-C-691661-1E and ST-C-691662-1D respectively, there is also a "CP" on both sides) and despite what was said earlier, it sounds very very good. It sounds very similar to the Dennis Drake CD (or visa versa) and much better than an original Atlantic mastered LP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.