Blonde (2022) - new film about Marilyn Monroe

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by raphph, Sep 24, 2022.

1. raphph

raphph Taking a trip on an ocean liner… Thread Starter

I wish people on this thread would just wait 24 hours and watch the actual movie.

RSteven and agentalbert like this.
  2. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

great flick!

I think it is akin to using aspects of Jake Lamotta's life in Raging Bull, not necessarily a biopic ...

3. Speedmaster

Speedmaster We’re all walking through this darkness on our own

I’m a fan of director/writer Dominik and that would be the only reason for me to watch it.

Shoes1916 likes this.
  4. muzzer

muzzer Forum Resident

Apologies if mentioned already, but isn’t this based on Joyce Carol Oates’ fictionalised biography of MM? I’ve read that (and much other JCO) and it’s a phenomenal book. It’s not a novel and it’s not a biography. Judging from the film so far - 20 minutes in - so is this. (Doh it’s a film).

Ana de Armas is going to win lots of awards for this. She’s tremendous.

EDIT - this is not strictly factual and it does not flinch from portraying a lot of bad things.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2022
    raphph, David Werchter and RSteven like this.
  5. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I find the idea of using Monroe's life and making up a bunch of BS to be distasteful. No, I won't be watching. I wonder if the director has any daughters, maybe in 20 years someone can make a made up film about them.

6. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

The author of the book even admits that it is completely fictionalized. Why didn't she use her own name as the main character if that was the case instead of dragging a dead woman into it?

Shoes1916 and Boom Operator like this.
  7. Shoes1916

Shoes1916 Forum Resident

Cave was born to score films.

8. Shoes1916

Shoes1916 Forum Resident

I'd love to see a great documentary, or a film by a master like Campion or Romanek, but this...?

9. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

Wow, a lot going on in this film. Cinematography is wonderful some absolutely beautiful shots in here although I don’t understand the reason for the changes of the aspect ratio. Regarding the movie itself, man very depressing all the way through, not one instance of joy at all. By the 2 hour mark, I just wanted it to end already.
    Oh and the score reminded me of Twin Peaks.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2022
    Shoes1916 likes this.
  10. Shoes1916

Shoes1916 Forum Resident

11. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

indeed....

how many times are they going scrape the bare bones of the poor women for another buck....

they F#%^ed her over in life and now in death for 60 years....

a customer and Shoes1916 like this.
  12. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Apparently some people here have never heard of the genre "Historical Fiction."

13. Shoes1916

Shoes1916 Forum Resident

Great review, and touches on a number of the reasons I won't be seeing this flick as a matter of principle.

Boom Operator likes this.
  14. Shoes1916

Shoes1916 Forum Resident

But I think that's the trick; she got something out of being MM - a great deal actually - and to explore that along with all the horrendous stuff, including her own wildly self-destructive behavior, could prove a transformative cinematic experience.

But you need a master to accomplish this.

RSteven likes this.
  15. Shoes1916

Shoes1916 Forum Resident

Well, people do have agency.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2022
  16. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I hope to see this movie in the next few days. I have no certainty how my review will come out, since Mark and Mick disagree on their reviews pretty dramatically. My brother saw it as well and he didn't like it. He thought there were a lot of miss opportunities to cover the relationship with both of the Kennedys and other aspects of her life.

I have no idea how I am going to feel after I actually see the movie. I know I love the lead actress and the brief trailers sure look gorgeous, but it could be just too much of a downer for me. I know she had a sad life too, but surely there were some lighter moments along the way. Do we see any of that in this movie? Stay tuned for my review. I am as open minded as I can be right now.

Fabrice Outside and Shoes1916 like this.
  17. Shoes1916

Shoes1916 Forum Resident

Pretty much the thread win. :)

18. Shoes1916

Shoes1916 Forum Resident

Some are not going to see it as a matter of principle, but remain interested in the topic. :)

unclefred likes this.
  19. Shoes1916

Shoes1916 Forum Resident

Oates is a brilliant writer to be sure.

20. Shoes1916

Shoes1916 Forum Resident

But beautifully written! :p

RSteven likes this.
  21. Shoes1916

Shoes1916 Forum Resident

I think everyone has.

But they may prefer to see a film like The Body Snatcher; similar theme, but a bit more upfront about the subject.

22. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

After seeing it awhile ago, I am upset I wasted my time watching something so joyless. Ana was Fantastic and the cinematography was great but the movie was not. I was wishing for her to kill herself so she wouldn’t have to deal with anymore crap or me having to sit through anymore as well. Honestly did the people who made this film even think Norma / Marilyn was talented or smart. Was her whole life a nightmare without any joy at all, would it have hurt to show some of the happier times in her life.

23. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Here is a really fine article and interview with Ana de Armas in USA Today where she talks about visiting Marilyn Monroe's grave in Hollywood and her dedication to her character portrayal.

Keanu Reeves' critically panned erotic thriller "Knock Knock" is entirely forgettable. But the film starring then-newcomer Ana de Armas has improbably set the stage for an unforgettable portrayal of Marilyn Monroe.

Somehow, when "Blonde" writer and director Andrew Dominik saw 2015's "Knock Knock," he knew that Cuban-born de Armas, who played one-half of the seductive and dangerous duo terrorizing Reeves, had what it took to portray screen icon Monroe.

Marilyn Monroe in 'Blonde': Ana de Armas on her ... - USA Today

24. muzzer

muzzer Forum Resident

Mark Kermode’s review is quite apt I thought. He describes it as a horror movie using MM’s life as its medium. I hate horror movies fwiw. Having seen the whole film now I found it a challenging watch.

25. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Dayman, fighter of the Nightman

Beautiful cinematography, fantastic score and a wonderful performance by Ana. And yet, the movie was a depressing, pretentious bore.