Blonde on Blonde/Anesini SACDs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stever, May 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stever

stever Senior Member Thread Starter

Fellow Forumites, a question:

Do I purchase the current stereo SACD mixed by Vic Anesini, or do I wait for the upcoming (hybrid?) Dylan remasters? Also, are there any other currently available stereo SACDs mixed/mastered by Anesini that one should nab before they're no longer available? (I already have, "Tapestry.")

Thanx in advance.

2. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

stever, if you're asking the question you should probably pick up a copy while you can. It sounds wonderful and there's no guarantee the new SACD will sound the same.

mud-

3. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Stever, My advice to you.....Follow Mudbone's advice.

4. Claus

Claus Senior Member

:thumbsup: I agree... all Dylan were newly remixed or remastered for the Hybrid-SACDs.

5. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

and my advice is to follow John's advice.

mud-:D

6. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Apparently it's actually mixed by Michael Brauer. Anesini is mis-credited on the liner notes.

7. GregM

GregM The expanding man

What is your source for that information (that VA did not transfer BoB)? Thanx

8. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

http://www.rdf.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/BobPart1/BobPart1.htm

Apparently Anesini *did* master (but not mix) the standard aluminum redbook CD version. Brauer mixed the SACD, which was mastered by Greg Calbi.

9. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Frankly, I think they're all wrong.

Follow Mud's advice.

Trust me. :cool:

I'd buy them now. I missed out on the 2 channel Tapestry. Now I just have the remixed 2 channel and multi channel SACD. :mad:

And who knows wat sonic tricks they'll employ. After all, they have some sort of "pro-tools" for SACD now where they can fix up all those little annoying things like tape hiss, breath of life and use digital compression to make yer ears bleed. :realmad:

Ever hear the CD version? Horrid....

10. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Gary, It shouldn't be too hard to get a 2ch Tapestry. I got a sealed one from ebay not too long ago.

11. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

....and I've seen a few in the stores around here.

mud-

12. Chris Desjardin

Chris Desjardin Senior Member

Is it correct that the multi channel version has a remixed stereo version?

Damn! I have to go shopping again. And I sold the stereo version when the multichannel came out!

13. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Hi Chris, the stereo mixes are different.

mud-

14. stever

stever Senior Member Thread Starter

Are there some other good two-channel SACDs out there? "She's So Unusual," "The Byrds Greatest Hits," and "Guitar Town," are a couple I saw today that were stereo and not multichannel.

15. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

How could you possibly know this?

Tapestry is a completely different situation, as BOB has ALREADY been remixed. Tapestry's original SCAD was the original mix, which gave way to a new stereo remix on the MC SACD. Since BOB was ALREADY remixed, I see no reason that this remix would not remain on the stereo layer of the new MC release. They have ENOUGH work to do getting all those other titles mastered--why would they remix BOB AGAIN???

MY question is--Why the hell is Nashville Skyline & Desire stereo only when there are perfectly good (and, in the case of Desire, AMAZING) quad mixes out there, yet Another Side Of Bob Dylan, a virtually mono LP, gets a 5.1 remix???

16. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Forum Resident

First, I've seen the stereo version in stores around Boston as well... as of last week, there was still one stereo-only and one stereo/multichannel at the Landmark Best Buy.

Second, I don't know that anyone's actually done a comparison, though the notion that a different stereo mix was to be included on the multichannel rerelease sent many of us scurrying forth to find the stereo-only version before they disappeared. But despite this, I've never read a direct comparison of the two stereo mixes, and have never personally heard the new one.

Would sure like to know....

17. Richard Feirstein

Richard Feirstein New Member

Tapestry is credited to Bob Irwin (of SUNDAZED), for the stereo mix on both the stereo and multi-channel/stereo SACD disk. I'll see if Bob can clarify this for us. Since the mastering tools for DSD may have improved, Bob may have taken a second shot at mixing?

Richard.

18. Chris Desjardin

Chris Desjardin Senior Member

Inquiring minds want to know!

19. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Hi Larry, I wasn't talking about BOB. I was talking about Tapestry. As to BOB being a stereo remix for the McH SACD Claus mentioned that.

I'm with you on Another Side. How in the hell can they release that as Mch? It just doesn't make any sense.

mud-

20. Larry Geller

Okay, sorry Mudbone.

So now Claus:How could you possibly know this?

21. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Larry, no sweat. Sometimes you need a program to keep the players straight in here.

mud-:D

22. Togo

Togo Same as it ever was

I have the Anesini "Blonde" SACD and it sounds great IMHO - snap it up!:thumbsup:

23. Mick Jones

Mick Jones Senior Member

Just to clarify, I owned the original stereo only 'Tapestry' SACD and it sounded really bad. Massive amounts of distortion on the vocals on some of the tracks. A few people here seem to think that this is the version to get, but I think that they are mad! Whatever they did on the stereo remix for the MC release can't have made it worse!

24. cliff barua

cliff barua New Member

I know we're getting away from the original topic (I have BOB on SACD and it's great - but I'll guess we're already getting into the re-purchases with SACD), but one question about Tapestry. Is the redbook remaster (SBM) the same mix as the first SACD or the MCH SACD? I only have a CD-R of the redbook so I can't check the masterer, mixer, etc.

Cliff

25. Larry Geller

The first SACD.

I have it & love it also, HOWEVER, why would anybody in their right mind "snap it up" NOW??? I don't care what anybody here is saying, I would be EXTREMELY shocked if Sony re-remixed the stereo layer, and the new release will be dual-layer with a MC track also. I'm also willing to bet that the packaging will be re-done to match the new remastered series, and since the current one uses CBS' 1989 packaging with that God-awful 2-LP on 1 CD banner & crappy booklet, the time to WAIT is now!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.