Blonde On Blonde On Vinyl - Which Version?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AnalogJ, Apr 17, 2018.

1. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959 Thread Starter

Let me start out by saying (and I have a friend who would think this be blasphemous), I'm a somewhat casual Bob Dylan fan. At least in comparison to my friend (who sees him every time he comes to town, often more than one show. He also has every single album, plus I'm sure a lot more.

In any event, I have many of his albums, but I'm not close to being a completist.

One album I'd like to pick up is Blonde On Blonde. I actually have one of the first Sundazed monos (not the Kevin Gray mastered one). I have yet to play it. I know that there are several great songs on it.

My question is about the MFSL 45rpm release, which is in stereo, versus the mono mix. I have read a lot of great things about the job that MFSL did on the stereo 45rpm reissue, but some have said that they prefer the mix of the mono. Clearly there is a balancing act. Perhaps the best one from a pure audiophile perspective is the MFSL, but not everyone thinks that that is the one pressing to have overall due to stereo vs. mono mixes.

Yes, there are other threads which have varying scattered opinions in them, but I don't see a consensus (and perhaps I still won't after this). For my purposes, I'd like to have this thread be about whether I should stick with what I have or should I venture out for the stereo MFSL (which I'm willing to do, even with the cost). I also know about the 2nd Sundazed mono reissue as well. Is the mono mix preferable overall to the stereo one, even though the MFSL stereo one is more dynamic and lively? Or are the attributes of the stereo one outweigh the preferred mono mix?

And, by the way, we Beatles fans have had this argument about the more coherent mono mixes vs. the more dynamic, but more incoherent left/right mixes of many of their albums.

Thanks,

Jeff

Rockford & Roll and CBackley like this.
  2. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

I have the following on vinyl for Blonde on Blonde:

1st pressing 2-Eye Columbia mono
    Sundazed mono
    Mofi 3x45 stereo

The mono are indeed awesome but my personal preference is the MOFI stereo. It is an easier listen, with more separation and space around the instruments. Some components of the mix are more recessed instead of all up front like the mono. Seems more dynamic. EQ is a little smoother on my ears as well.

But the mono really rocks...love them both.

3. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Get a clean vintage mono copy.

4. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

I had the kevin gray sundazed mono.
    I have the mfsl 45 rpm

Any mono reissue is going to sound meh. The tapes are either 3rd gen or worn or something imo.
    If you want the best mono copy. You need an original mint uk or USA press. UK preferred imo.

for the stereo the mfsl will be the best. It's my go to copy.

OptimisticGoat likes this.
  5. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

I got the original US CD on my very first trip to the states (my list also included proper 501s with the red stitching, and a try of that new coca-cola that didn't make it to the UK (failed - nobody had it and when I asked they just asked me 'why? Classic Coke is better!' ))

Anyway, reason being was the original UK CD had edited versions of 'Just like a woman' (I believe it fades at the end) and 'Sad eyed lady'

That CD did fine for me for a long time. I have a couple more copies thanks to the mono CD box and the big box set

Tom Favata likes this.
  6. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I’m not sure starting a new thread on a topic which has been discussed ad nauseum will get you any closer to a consensus or an answer, but good luck.

FWIW, I like the MFSL stereo, but in full disclosure I tend to prefer stereo mixes unless a stereo mix sucks. And this one doesn’t IMO.

OptimisticGoat likes this.
  7. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I have two stereo LPs, one with the original mix and women photos on the gatefold, and the other with the revised mix and without the women. Most of the songs sound better on the second but the first has some interesting alternates, notably "Visions Of Johanna" with the lead guitar mixed in the center with Dylan's vocal and "Fourth Time Around" with the keyboard. Still looking for a mono.

dee likes this.
  8. AnalogJ

Y'know, this thread has been quite useful. The information is concentrated and distilled. And helpful.

9. Bill

Bill Senior Member

I prefer the MFSL 45 set. I have the full gamut of this, one of my favorite albums: original mono and stereo, Sundazed mono, SACD, etc. The 45s are something very special.

JFSebastion, dee, Aftermath and 2 others like this.
  10. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I really like the MFSL 45 rpm release. For mono I have a very nice original mono with the Claudia pic.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  11. Astralweeks

Astralweeks Diamond Dog

I have the Sundazed Mono, I didn't enjoy the mix very much. It sounded too cluttered and loud for me, but maybe a vintage copy would change my mind (and I am looking for one). I just go with a stereo repress from 68. Not the best, but it sounds pretty great, a lot of charm. If only the U.K. pressings weren't so expensive! I would try out the MOFI version, but I really like the flow of the 4 sides and I'd rather have a slightly inferior sound quality than sacrifice that. Sometimes it's more about the experience than the sound quality to me.

MonkeyLizard and mikeyt like this.
  12. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

MFSL is a stereo remix that lacks the “urgency” of the original mix, which had built-in distortion but that was part of the charm of the 60’s Columbia sound - listen to Steve’s mastering of the BOB songs that made it to the AF Greatest Hits Vols. I and II if you don’t know the sound. Those are the classic mixes. The remix sounds cleaner but also more tame.

Sundazed mono reissue runs slightly off pitch and lacks the vibrancy of the original.

An original US or UK mono is where the ‘wow’ factor is at.

MonkeyLizard, JRM, hvbias and 8 others like this.
  13. AnalogJ

Very interesting take.

OptimisticGoat and BawBag like this.
  14. rxcory

hvbias likes this.
  15. plynthe

plynthe Forum Resident

I've had: 1987 CD, US mono LP (orig), 2003 SACD, MFSL SACD and MFSL 45 RPM. 45 RPM is definitely the best I've heard this album sound, though I'd give it all up to hear it again for the first time... I killed that 87 CD. I do remember the mono LP having a "directness" to it that was neat, though. I'd give it another whirl someday.

cwitt1980 likes this.
  16. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

Is the sony mono box reissue version any good when compared to an original mono.

17. rxcory

It's tough to make comparisons between CD and LP. They both sound good to me in their own ways, and there's nothing wrong with the CD, but the LP has that extra sparkle.

18. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

How does the German pressed Columbia MONO 2015 reissue compare?

19. CBS 65780

CBS 65780 "Could I do one more immediately?"

[​IMG]

This one is pretty darn great!

20. AnalogJ

My local shop had a barely played promo MFSL 45rpm stereo copy for $63. It was not numbered at all in the space on the back where numbers would be. He explained that they occasionally get promo copies from the distributor. They had gotten a bunch in and another audiophile customer had bought a number of them. That customer recently resold many back to the store. Still there are several Dylans, including BOTT, Freewheelin', Basement Tapes, and Before The Flood. I picked up the BOB.

timnor, TimB, OptimisticGoat and 3 others like this.
  21. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

One thing that I have been curious about for many years now...

Have any forumites heard...

[​IMG]

It’s an album that Bob’s producer put together after Dylan finished BOB and left Nashville. So, same studio, same mikes, same producer, same musicians for the most part. This thing has impeccable sound. It’s a sonic masterwork on the 2 eye pressing that I’ve had for ten years now.

That means for ten years I believe that there’s a BOB out there that must sound good. And too many just don’t measure up.

If I found a Blonde on Blonde that has this sound, I’d be done. As in done collecting music!

22. AnalogJ

And have you heard the MFSL 45?

23. plynthe

plynthe Forum Resident

I'll have to keep my eye out for that based on this information, because based on the cover/title that's about the millionth record I'd think to check out.

24. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

I have not. Hoping to hear now from someone that could compare that with Moldie Oldies!

25. owsley

owsley Senior Member

Best sounding pressings of mono and (original) stereo mix IMO are original UK CBS pressings.
    An original US Columbia mono pressing is better overall sound than the Sundazed mono reissue but not as good as the UK CBS.
    Not sure about the common stereo mix of Blonde. I far prefer the original mix and only have the common stereo mix on CD

If you're a completist who wants all the different mix variations then you also need original Canadian Columbia mono and French CBS mono pressings as well to have all the variations. Neither of these have ever been reissued

dee, The Ole' Rocker, PADYBU and 3 others like this.