Blonde On Blonde On Vinyl - Which Version?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AnalogJ, Apr 17, 2018.

1. rednedtugent

rednedtugent Forum Resident

My theory is double LPs will have one side NM that the original owner just didn't like as much.

Tuck1977, parman and Neonbeam like this.
  2. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

Thanks I guess. All I was trying to do was reply to the sale you initiated. Enjoy your record.

3. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Thanks, Myke. Yes, I couldn’t resist the price, and I gambled on a record with no groove damage. I lucked out! And I’m glad we can both enjoy, in perpetuity, our US mono...Claudia Cardinale photo!

Myke likes this.
  4. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

..... and I thought the more records a person has, the less play they will get. Old record dealer theory! :yikes:

But back to your original post: The MFSL stereo box is good? Bought it years ago for a great price, never opened it. I've also got the Sundazed mono but this album never really clicked for me in mono.

5. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

I’m probably in the minority but I really like my Columbia 360 Stereo label sound 1968 pressing. It sounds really good to me, I got rid of the Sundazed mono after I found this original stereo copy.

BrentB likes this.
  6. SongAndDanceMan

SongAndDanceMan Forum Resident

Why are you in the minority? The originals sounds great, especially if you can find one with Sooner Or Later with minimal IGD

mooseman likes this.
  7. Dirk the Nightfly

Dirk the Nightfly Forum Resident

hobbes4444 and CBackley like this.
  8. Dougthesnail

Dougthesnail The Big Gabagool

It's the best stereo imo. Mofi nailed it.

ssmith3046 and Neonbeam like this.
  9. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

This used the original 1966 US stereo mix? For real? I must get this. I have a nice original US stereo but it has an annoying tick on “Just Like a Woman.”

10. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Yes open the MOFI!

11. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Please. Open that thing. It’s wonderful!!

Also, my first copy had two warped LPs. So...

12. parman

parman Music Junkie

I have a Simply Vinyl stereo Blonde On Blonde from 1998. It's nothing special and I would like to upgrade. I thought of getting one of those mono Sundazed copies mastered by Kevin Gray but there aren't many around. After reading this thread it looks like the majority like Blonde On Blonde in stereo. I would prefer to buy a recent reissue rather than take a crap shoot on a used copy from the net. I don't like the looks of some recent reissues from the EU so I'm thinking MOFI is the best bet. what say you

Echoes Myron likes this.
  13. Mike H.

Mike H. Forum Resident

You can preorder the MoFi on the Music Direct site last I checked. When it’s repressed you’ll be guaranteed a copy.

parman likes this.
  14. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Depending on which of two Simply Vinyl copies you got, you may be in possession of the only instance on vinyl of the first truncated CD issue, which is quite horrible.

I don’t understand why you would baulk at EU copies; these are excellent pressings by MOV and use the US mono mix. They are exactly the same as the reissue in the box set, are cheap and plentiful, labels and sleeve are lovingly reproduced (albeit minus Claudia) and as an added bonus are AAA.

A MOV pressing is exactly what you need -if looking for mono - and one of the very best and more desirable versions is the 2019 exclusive by the FNAC in France on white vinyl, for much the same money. As an owner, I can testify as to how good it is.

parman likes this.
  15. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

I give the MOFI stereo my absolute highest recommendation.

jgrillo and parman like this.
  16. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

The version in the mono boxed set is outstanding in my opinion, mastered by Kevin Gray. Not sure if it’s available individually; may not be. I’m set for life with that copy, which I will only play through annually, at best.

Tuck1977, parman and Echoes Myron like this.
  17. 0476pearljam

0476pearljam Forum Resident

I think the 2010 MOV copy is cut by RKS at sterling, and not by Kevin Gray that cut the sundazed mono version

culabula, parman and Echoes Myron like this.
  18. parman

parman Music Junkie

Thanks for this info. I didn't know about using the US mono mix. I'm not a fan of white vinyl but the SQ is what it's really all about. AAA:righton:

19. parman

parman Music Junkie

I haven't seen anything about Kevin Gray except on the later Sundazed reissue

j.barleycorn likes this.
  20. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Well, it’s easy enough to pick up on black vinyl too, but the white vinyl edition is sublime (as are all the FNAC’s coloured vinyl editions).

Echoes Myron likes this.
  21. joshbg2k

joshbg2k Forum Resident

I thought George Marino cut the mono box, I thought it was his last project before he died. I agree it’s great though. The entire box is great. Haven’t compared it to an original lately.

22. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

My mistake; I checked blonde on blonde and it says Sterling stamped into the dead wax.

23. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

The MFSL 45 Stereo of this DOES sound awesome. One thing about the current stereo mix that is irritating to me is having the drums hard right panned. I really wish that when this was remixed (1999 maybe?) for stereo most recently that they would have put the drums dead center behind Bob. If that was the case, this MFSL version would be even better than it is! I am one that thinks drums should pretty much always be centered. Having them off on the side is distracting to me and takes away from the realism of the recording.

Neonbeam and Echoes Myron like this.
  24. porotikos

porotikos Porotikos

hi guys. looking to get a blonde on blonde copy. preferably mono. all original us are expensive for me. id like to ask if there is any idea how good are the c2l41 sony music, columbia legacy eu lps released from 2015 and onwards. any idea what they used for masters btw? thank you

ps. is the deagostini italian 2019 pressing also any good?

Echoes Myron likes this.
  25. culabula

culabula Unread author.

The 2015 are uniformly excellent, superb pressing and sound. They use the American mono mix, using the AAA stampers from the 2010 box set.

I haven’t heard the DeAgostini pressing, I’m afraid.