Blonde on Blonde SACD - Oh My God!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GoldenBoy, Feb 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Now Paul, any music mixed to Scotch 200 series tape is worn, even without playing the damn thing. They will still play however, which is more than one can say about the 1974-89 stuff.

I do believe that the "Highway 61" tape was used to cut the first East Coast 1965 stereo press, but that's it. My 1/1 sounds just like the darn tape, except the bass was reduced by the cutting engineer, probably at 75 cycles and on down. The rest matches. My guess is that the cutter made the tape copies (one for the Los Angeles mastering room, one for the San Francisco mastering room, and one for the NYC mastering room) with the Bass Cut in place, hence the note on the box. With the EQ'd tape copy, one could just cut the replacement lacquer straight and read Billboard while it was cutting....

2. Paul L.

Paul L. New Member

Thanks, Steve. This is not the easiest thing for a layman to understand. I'm trying my damnedest though.

It still sounds like from your last answer that the non-eq'd master, the one with all the bass intact, was NOT used to make records, but was used just to make three new masters with bass cut at 75Hz and down for LP use. Am I getting this straight? Or are you saying it was used for the first run, and then the 3 new masters were made?

So isn't it likely the same kind of thing was done for Bringing It All Back Home, for instance, and for Blonde On Blonde? And maybe there are Do Not Use masters of them in a box set aside, safe and sound, and the ones that are used up or lost are the EQd ones?

3. Steve Hoffman

No Paul. As far as we know, only "Highway 61" escaped death by cutting.

"Highway 61" first pressing only was cut with the good tape (but the cutting engineer removed most of the good bass as he was cutting the lacquer).

A 1/1 pressing of any Columbia LP is bound to be the best, if the group recorded in NEW YORK or NASHVILLE, and it was cut on the EAST COAST. A band that was recorded in Los Angeles (The Byrds) has East Coast cuttings and pressings that are cut from a DUB. BUT, the WEST COAST version of an LA band will be the best sounding record. Get it?

4. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Eh...I thought you said in some cases while dubs were EQ'd for cutting, they were often not as well. Like as was the case with The Byrds' My Back Pages. You mentioned that while all the HW61 dubs were EQ'd and sounded like crap, the dubs for that album/song sounded just like an un-EQ'd master...

5. Steve Hoffman

Originally posted by Steve Hoffman
    At Columbia, the original master tapes WERE equalized and compressed for LP cutting!

In other words, a Columbia master tape could easily be used for cutting a record if needbe. That is because the Columbia mixing engineers ALWAYS over compressed and over EQ'd their stereo mixes. More than any other label in my opinion. Nothing to do with cutting masters vs. regular masters. It's just that the Columbia engineers had standing orders to mix pop music with little or no dynamic range.

6. David Powell

David Powell Well-Known Member

In his Stereophile interview with Michael Fremer, Bob Irwin also revealed that, in addition to his independent work for Legacy, he has also worked under contract with Sony's archive system for the last eight years. Early on he visited Sony's tape storage facility at Iron Mountain and found it's filing system was accurately called "chaotic". According to Mr. Irwin, Sony now, however, has "the premier archiving system of any label". Here's a lucky guy who's actually been able to crawl around Sony's storage facility, and often found unexpected goodies while searching for something else.

7. Richard Feirstein

Richard Feirstein New Member

As a high school kid in NYC I worked part time at the Black Rock. One job I had was cleaning the tape heads and setting up some of the hardware, but mostly pulling wires and moving tape and equipment. I can confirm that the 3 and 4 track reel to reel recorders had limiters built in and those old guys knew how to set levels to get decent results. I was always shocked at how compressed the results were. I was told they had to assume that the "pop" record would be played back on a record player with a worn, poor tracing 3 gram cartridge needle pressure on mono players and sound decent on AM radio and a basic, low end home stereo. High end reproduction was not a criteria, decent radio play and low record returns was the priority. I remember friends with cheap players placing a coin on the end of the record player's arm to keep it from jumping out of the grove on some LP's. Those were the good old days. :rolleyes:

8. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Richard,

Nice story.

They were the old days certainly ... but they weren't that good, eh? I saw your smilie. Not that I approve of the current techniques (compression, bass boost) on rock either.

Regards,
    Metralla

9. Angel

Angel New Member

Which confirms Steve's statement that Columbia mixes were extra compressed right on the masters. :eek:

10. RDK

RDK Active Member

Steve, how does one tell which of the early Columbia pressings are "east" or "west" coast? Is there some marking on the vinyl? Thanks.
    Ray

11. Steve Hoffman

Ray, I don't know. Some kind of marking on the lead out area I guess. I gave up trying to figure it out.

You can imagine my dismay years ago when I was still collecting records and realized that the SOUND of the record varied by location of the pressing plant. Argghhh.

A buddy of mine from Canned Heat by the name of Richard Hite (he died a short time ago) had a bunch of "cutting masters" of Capitol stuff that had been dumped. These were clearly dubs made for various parts of the country where Capitol LP's were recut and pressed. This was in 1977. It was then that I really realized that, for example, if one lived in England, every British LP of anything American was from a tape copy and not a master tape. And so on. Then of course, I realized that depending on what REGION of the USA one lived in, the same thing was true in the case of Columbia, Epic, Capitol, RCA, etc. Drove me crazy, but I got over it.

:)

12. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

This may explain something I've been wondering about ... During the past month a buddy of mine, on my recommendation, picked up an early rainbow-Capitol-label LP of The Beach Boys Today! It's in very good shape; he paid $20 for it, and liked the music but found the sonics a bit foggy and compressed. I listened and agreed.

I found a copy for myself a few weeks later ... in pretty much the same condition, for $5.50. Same rainbow label and everything ... and there's a world of difference. Clearer and more open than I thought this record could sound, with such resonance in the voices ... The difference is not subtle. (I have heard both copies on my own system.)

I suspected my copy might be "earlier" (same label and all), but perhaps it's also a West Coast copy. My friend and I have yet to compare matrix markings ...

13. wes

wes Senior Member

14. wes

wes Senior Member

There's going to be a mono release and I assumed it was the "original" mix...

If it's really dead than why remix to mono?

Makes no sense..............:confused:

-Wes

15. Steve Hoffman

I'm sure Bob Irwin is using the original mono mix.

16. wes

wes Senior Member

That's what I thought.....I was getting worried that I misinterpreted the article....

-Wes

17. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Does anyone know if there is any chance of Sundazed releasing the mono Dylan LPs on CD or, even better, SACD?

18. wes

wes Senior Member

I doubt there'll be SACD. Bob Irwin says he's more focused on the vintage format......Vinyl.....

-Wes

19. Richard Feirstein

Richard Feirstein New Member

It is reported that Bob Dylan and Robbie Robenson supervised the mono mix. It includes a number of revisions to cover guitar mistakes by Robbie. The stereo releases, either ignor some or all of those edits and most of the mixing clues Bob and Robbie chose. Thus a mono release based upon that mix or from the mixed mono master is of great interest to many fans, since the mono vinyl release is quite rare. Even the UK mono release is from the wrong tapes.

20. Roger Ford

Roger Ford Senior Member

Columbia 1960s pressings

So from what you say, Steve, Columbia had three pressing plants: East Coast, Los Angeles & San Francisco . . . is it possible to tell which plant a disc was pressed at? I'm still trying to figure out when and where Columbia started introducing the remixed version of "Blonde On Blonde". Maybe one plant (East Coast?)could have used the remix from the outset.

(In case anyone wants to know what I'm on about here, check http://www.rdf.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/ )

21. Steve Hoffman

HI ROGER!!!!

Welcome.

Columbia had a plant in Santa Maria, California, and of course Bridgeport , Conn, but I wasn't actually speaking of pressing plants, I was speaking of CUTTING ROOMS.

You see, the Columbia studio in LA could do a Dylan recut, as could the San Francisco studio and the NYC studio. So, they all needed their own cutting copies of the better selling titles.

Most other record companies did that. I know RCA used the "dash" system on their master tapes. Example the master number and then a -1, or-2 or -3. 1 being the master, 2 a copy of that, 3 a copy of THAT, etc. Not to be confused with the stamper numbers....

A&M used the dash system as well on their tapes.

Capitol had a "NY Copy" of everything, as well as the original master in Los Angeles.

But, I digress.:D

To answer your main question. I honestly cannot remember how to tell the pressings apart, plant wise. There were so many Columbia pressing variations in the old days that it used to drive me crazy.

22. Roger Ford

Roger Ford Senior Member

I recently heard a tale from someone who visited a Columbia facility quite some while back. Apparently when they cut an album the engineer who did the cutting would make their own adjustments to the sound in order to get what they considered a decent cut, often without any real knowledge of the music they were handling. This would happen every time they had to re-cut the album, quite possibly with a different engineer doing it. Multiply that by three cutting rooms . . .

Just to try your patience a little more on Columbia pressings, Steve: a 60s matrix number would be something like XLP113761-2D . The first part was always the same for that album, but the numeric/alpha bit at the end would change. The number sometimes seems to indicate a more major change, e.g. in the source tape used. (for instance, the original Highway 61 Revisited stereo copies with the alternate "Buick 6" will always have a -1 suffix, -2 or later copies are cut from the corrected tape) But would the letter at the end just be a stamper number? Is there anyone around who would know about this stuff?

23. Alan G

Alan G More A Lurker Than A Poster

I have an excellent transfer of the US mono mix of Blonde On Blonde. I am interested in hearing the SACD version. Would anyone like to trade cdrs [my mono for your SACD]? Thanks!!

Alan

24. Humorem

Humorem New Member

With all due respect, it ain't necessarily so.

Record pressings vary like crazy. Too many variables to consider. Too many records with identical stamper numbers that sound vastly different.

Steve would like to have you believe it's that easy, but I assure you it is not. I have endless examples of records that are supposed to be original and supposed to be the best and just aren't, as anyone who plays such a record would know in a hurry.

Use Steve's remarks as a guide for better pressings, but don't make the mistake of passing up other copies that do not fit the profile, because some of the best records I own are far from original.

One major example: Blood Sweat and Tears self titled. The best copies by far are well down the line in originality.

Why? It's a mystery why some records sound good and some don't.

Some people, operating more from an engineering point of view, want to have more concrete explanations. They want to deal with the facts, mam.

Maybe they are right 70% of the time. (Probably less actually.)

But if you play your records, and you play lots of versions, you will be able to pick the best sounding pressing 100% of the time.

That's why I subscribe to a different philosophy. I want the best, not what should be the best.

Regards, TP

25. Steve Hoffman

Get the hell off my Forum. You are not allowed to disagree with me.

FOOLED YA, JUST KIDDING! ;)

Actually, that "Initial cutting-East coast/West coast pressing and recording" theory was told to me by none other than Al Kooper. But, even in my small travels, the Columbia pressing variation saga is too big and complicated for any human brain to unravel.

The best thing to do is what Tom suggests. Try 'em all (if you are rich, that is!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.