Blonde on Blonde SACD - Oh My God!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GoldenBoy, Feb 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Humorem

Humorem New Member

Hey, you don't have to be rich. You just have to be crazy! Enough to want to spend the time and the money.

I have a crazy mutual friend who does a lot of the leg work for me. I can't go around to all the stores and thrift shops because I must stay in front of my computer to rant all day on this forum.

TP

2. I went out and listened on my fave headphones to a Sony SCD CE-775, a 5 SACD carousel changer. Brought my "Blonde On Blonde" SACD purchased over the weekend and the gold SBM cd, as well as the 24-bit Essential Dylan 2wo-fer.

The results:

We all knew about the smileyface EQ on the gold cd, the other transfers of the same material underscored this problem.

The 24-bit version is relatively neutral, if dry, in comparison and has a "white" sound to it compared to the others.

THEN I played the SACD. Partially due to the remix, partially due to the format, there was good "air" around everything and the depth f-to-b rivaled most anything I've ever heard on an audiophile redbook cd. Still a bit transistor-y. Some tape flutter on "I Want You" and Just Like A Woman" was etched in the remix.

The fiddler in me took over and I inked the inside & outside perimeter of the SACD.
    YES, ALL MY CD's ARE INKED.
    Warmed that sucker right up. It sounded like I had the headphones in an old tube open-reel. the flutter was diminished, not exaggerated as before. No brightness on the vocal. the disc sounded "orange" in the loud passages and "chocolate" in the quiet ones.

If this is what we can expect out of SACD, I may actually retire my turntables someday (not soon though).

- - - - -

I listened to parts of a few regular cd's on the way home and was aghast at how lousy everything sounded!!

3. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater Thread Starter

thomoz,

this may sound silly, but please clue me in. What exactly do you mean by "inked". This is obviously some technique I've never heard of.

thanks. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.