Dylan- Blood on the Tracks - "Test Pressing" version - RSD 2019*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Whiskeytown86, Feb 23, 2019.

1. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

That's - according to a Dutch site - the number of One Steps made.

2. Jgirar01

Jgirar01 Forum Resident

Think the 3000 was the first one step but since they have increased to I think 7500.

Tjazz and SoundDoctor like this.
  3. Snoddywilko

Snoddywilko Forum Resident

It’s my understanding that these versions are available on the recent Bootleg Series colllection, though Idiot Wind should have the infamous ‘spooky’ organ part.

It may also be the original mix from the acetate?

4. PADYBU

PADYBU Forum Resident

I took it that the spooky organ version was left off the box set by accident and they played it off as if it was on purpose, or maybe they were holding it off for the RSD release, idk

5. LC2A3

LC2A3 Well-Known Member

I was feeling really good about avoiding RSD this year but this release has me reconsidering :mad:

6. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I thought the 2lp More Blood was simply to be the ‘ best ‘ tracks from the New York Sessions and was not intended to be an original test pressing facsimile. Do I have that wrong?

Did the cd box set of More Blood provide all of these NY test pressing tracks ( spooky organ excepted) scattered throughout the box set?

I’m just curious why they wouldn’t have released this record last year as part of the box set package unless they were intending to milk this for extra profit.

CBackley likes this.
  7. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

8. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

So far it is the only title I am interested in, but kind of rooting against any other news. I am hoping to skip the 2:30 AM wake up to get in line this year...

9. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

Kind of. More of an ‘alternative version’.

Not in the same mixes and as you stated not that particular mix of ‘Idiot Wind’ - that particular organ track being absent or substituted.

To me the mix on the Test Pressing, while not that different in some places, is significant in others and the overall atmosphere of the album. To me this is most noticeable on ‘Tangled Up In Blue’, ‘You’re A Big Girl Now’ and ‘Idiot Wind’.

I hope (or assume) this has been mastered from the already mixed composite reel used for the acetate rather than a contemporary fresh mix from the individual masters designed to approximate the sound of the test pressing mixes.

10. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

It seems to be the latter:

"Features unique mixes available for the first time ever"

edit:
    Although, I suppose that could be a reference to the test pressing being not commercially available. Strange way to phrase it, however.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
    crispi likes this.
  11. Astralweeks

Astralweeks Diamond Dog

This is amazing, I've always wanted to own these versions of the songs all together like the test pressing. I currently have a CD burned from the box set that does this, but it wasn't the same. This is an easy purchase for me

Rockinrob and SoundDoctor like this.
  12. SoundDoctor

SoundDoctor Forum Resident

I prefer the NYC sessions... they sound better too. The reverb on the original album kills the LP, but the Minnesota cuts more than the NY cuts.

beatleroadie and Astralweeks like this.
  13. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

While I know that this is not a Blood On the Tracks One-Step thread, I do want to connect possible dots on the varying numbers mentioned here. The first One-Step made - Abraxas - was limited to 2,5oo. The following One-Steps are now 6,000 for I think the next Bill Evans and 7,500 for Blood On the Tracks. I was initially taken aback by your confidence in the 3,000 number. I read a post in the MFSL One-Step thread a few months ago that suggested/stated that MFSL is releasing these One-Steps internationally with either a different limited number starting again at zero, or assigning a portion of the 7,500 to the international market. It raises eyebrows to release the One-Step internationally with an entire new limit run count, but I suspect that is what MFSL is doing. Purchasing the One-Step releases is hard to justify outside of the US due to shipping expenses and domestic pre-ordering, so I would not be surprised if MFSL wasn't trying to find a way to make them more available and affordable for ya'll (that's Texas for 'you guys'). It wouldn't be any different than Record Store Day releases and their different US and UK limit numbers.

Neonbeam likes this.
  14. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

This is the type of release that the original Record Store Day seemed to promise. I remember early releases like the fabulous Big Star Third test pressing box, or the mono Ram. The next thing I knew, it was all about colored vinyl, picture discs and the like.

This is a fabulous release. An item that few people have even seen, much less heard (only on bootleg). I’m in.

15. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

I believe I have also been convinced.

16. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I know I have.

I just recently bought the More Blood More Tracks box, and the MFSL vinyl.
    Already had the two SACDs too.
    Jeez.

17. dave-gtr

dave-gtr Forum Resident

Been waiting for this for decades. Ever since I made a tape of the sequence using, ahem, "questionable sources", I have much preferred the test pressing over the released LP. I, too, hope that they use the original reel. I truly love the BASEMENT TAPES test pressing from a couple of years ago.

18. Astralweeks

Astralweeks Diamond Dog

I also hate the reverb, I think they hit harder with the intensity of the original sessions. I don't mind the Minnesota versions however, I think despite what people say, they have the emotion of the NY sessions (especially Idiot Wind). Adding the two sessions together gives it better emotional dynamics to me, I think the test pressing and the regular version are both perfect in their own ways

19. Rockinrob

Rockinrob Forum Resident

I am so excited for this! The ny version of blood may be my favorite dylan album!

I’ve almost paid big money for the swingin’ pig bootleg, but it doesn’t include all the tracks either!

20. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

The description (and color photos) for this are now up on the French site. I assume we'll get it in English soon enough, but for now:

Bob Dylan – Blood On The Tracks – Original New York Test Pressing – Disquaire Day

Description
    Des mois avant la sortie de Blood On The Tracks de Bob Dylan au début de l’année 1975, un faible nombre de tirages « test pressing » circulait, entièrement constitué d’enregistrements provenant du A&R Recording Studios de New York. Dylan réenregistra finalement cinq de ses titres à Minneapolis pour les inclure à la version finale de l’album. Ces enregistrements originaux se sont vite retrouvés sur des versions bootlegs et l’histoire « alternative » de l’œuvre la plus acclamée de Dylan commença de cette manière…. Ce LP est une reproduction exacte du Test Pressing, contenant pour la première fois, des mix spécifiques provenant de la session studio de New York.

Tracklisting :

1. Tangled Up in Blue Take 3, Remake 2 00:06:50

2. Simple Twist of Fate 00:04:17

3. You’re a Big Girl Now Take 2, Remake 00:04:21

4. Idiot Wind Take 4, Remake Edit 00:08:51

5. You’re Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go 00:02:53

6. Meet Me in the Morning 00:04:21

7. Lily, Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts Take 2 00:09:49

8. If You See Her, Say Hello Take 2 Edit 00:03:23

9. Shelter from the Storm 00:05:02

10. Buckets of Rain 00:03:24

Informations complémentaires
    DIMENSIONS 30 cm
    ARTISTE
    Bob Dylan

TITRE
    Blood On The Tracks – Original New York Test Pressing

LABEL
    Legacy

FORMAT EP LP SINGLE
    LP

FORMAT INCHES
    12"

REF

21. Rockinrob

Rockinrob Forum Resident

Taking a shot at translating...I've been practicing french on duolingo for awhile now, so here goes nothing!

In the months before dylan's blood on the tracks made its debut in 1975, a small number of test pressings circulated consisting entirely of the sessions from A & R Recording studios in New York. Dylan rerecorded five of his tracks in Minneapolis for inclusion on the final album. These original versions soon found themselves on bootlegs and the history of Dylan's most acclaimed work began. This LP is an exact reproduction of this test pressing, containing for the first time the original mixes from the sessions in New York.

crispi, dee, Matisse and 4 others like this.
  22. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

That practice is clearly paying off. Thanks!

Rockinrob likes this.
  23. Kermit27

Kermit27 Forum Resident

TALK to a PERSON? It never would have occurred to me.

Nephrodoc likes this.
  24. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

THIS is the best news since Big Blue.
    Very excited!! .. I'll need two copies, one to keep sealed.

I have an extra 2005 ''JWH'' Columbia-Sundazed Records MONO 180gm LP.
    If you need a copy of this album, it's beautiful in shrink with the hype sticker, vinyl as new.
    Give away contest .. "like" the post and your entered. :righton: Good Luck!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client