Dylan- Blood on the Tracks - "Test Pressing" version - RSD 2019*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Whiskeytown86, Feb 23, 2019.

1. DaK

DaK Forum Resident

Its already selling in the bay for 70 to 100 Euro :doh:

2. dee

dee Senior Member

I hear you.

3. SoundDoctor

SoundDoctor Forum Resident

I agree. There’s always a conversation on the RSD line, and it’s cool to know what other people are chasing after.

2018 was my first time at Everyday Music here in Portland, as all my previous RSDs were at Scotti’s Record Shop in Summit, NJ. Scotti’s is small and only lets a few people in at a time. They have the back room dedicated to RSD stuff and it’s nice and spacious in there. Everybody finds what they’re looking for.

EM, however, is much bigger. In fact, they have one store for CDs and an equally sized space next to it for vinyl. They have their RSD bins and they also put RSD items in the artist bins. There was a huge crowd at the small RSD bins, so I got everything I wanted last year from the artist bins. This year may have to change for some titles, but I’ll navigate right to the Bob Dylan bin for this one...

Percy Song likes this.
  4. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

Calm down, calm down! This is now showing as a regular release on Amazon. Release date April 12th.

5. DaK

DaK Forum Resident

I am totally calm :) I am just wondering about people paying that kind of money before RSD.

BlueJay likes this.
  6. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

They want the RSD sticker!

Note to self: find RSD stickers! :)

7. Dflow

Dflow Listening in the time of Dylan

I just searched for the listing in the US store and couldn’t find it. Can you please post the link?

8. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Critter, Dflow and DaK like this.
  9. shadow blaster

shadow blaster Forum Resident

10. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

How is Scotti’s? Do you think it’s a decent store?

11. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Just listening --for the first time--to the "spooky organ" version of "Idiot Wind" on You Tube and it's the best performance I've heard yet.
    But not because of the organ which comes in and out. It's the way Dylan sings it that makes it great. It lacks the bile of the official version.
    Is this version going to be of the RSD Test Pressing?

MRamble likes this.
  12. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

Technically yes.

13. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

Yes.. all known information confirms this.

14. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

You can print your own for about .50 cents each and put them on all the records you want haha!

The Hud likes this.
  15. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Good to know! Haha! :)

16. CWillman

CWillman Senior Member

Jgirar01 and dee like this.
  17. Shpongle

Shpongle Forum Resident

So Amazon are going to get a quota of this and sell it online on 12th April?

Really?

18. shadow blaster

shadow blaster Forum Resident

Probably not. The orders will likely get cancelled.

19. DaK

DaK Forum Resident

In my experience this is not true, in the last 3 years Amazon has sold RSD products directly and through third party sellers. Not on RSD but a week after. Since Amazon does not charge you unless its shipped just try it.

20. scoutbb

scoutbb Senior Member

How?
    Where?

21. DaK

DaK Forum Resident

There is an official campaign „Make every day Record Store Day“. I think their website is something like MEDRSD.something.

realdiel likes this.
  22. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

I like the idea of RSD in principle, but I’m sure this is a familiar reality for most people.
    Here in the u.k., slightly less than 20 years ago there were 3 independent record stores in my local high street - a 5 minute walk. If I went to the nearest town, about 15 minutes away, there was a large HMV, a decent Our Price and a Virgin Megastore. Five years ago these had gone, but there was still a FOPP in town. I went there for RSD in 2012 and picked up a few bits. Now this has closed, so its about an hours journey to a record shop for RSD, and I only want this one thing this year. This is unfortunately what perpetuates the high prices on eBay.

When I was a kid, EVERY town had a serious independent record shop. In addition, every town had a Woolworths that would sell singles and chart stuff.

Arguably, despite the apparent convenience of the internet and download era, we’ve lost something magical about music and record collecting.

23. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

+1

When I first heard the boot of the "spooky organ" version 40+ years ago, the gentler way that Dylan sang the lyrics was more enjoyable to me than the officially-released version. I know lots of people prefer the bile, but in this case, not me.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
    Tommyboy and Mbd77 like this.
  24. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

Will this version be a needle drop or sourced from (remixed) multitracks?

This info on the RSD site suggest a needle drop that affects the sound quality:

This LP is an exact duplicate of the test pressing, containing unique mixes from the New York session, available commercially for the first time.

25. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

That’s not what it says. Technically there should be no reasons why those ‘74 mixes aren’t still in Columbia’s archive as two-track tapes. It’s those they are hopefully using.

supermd, SoundDoctor, marcb and 2 others like this.