Dylan- Blood on the Tracks - "Test Pressing" version - RSD 2019*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Whiskeytown86, Feb 23, 2019.

1. Xander2017

Xander2017 Forum Resident

Those two songs are really bad on my copy as well.

2. Judging by the pictures and information available on Discogs, there are certainly differences in the packaging/sticker between US/Canada and European copies of this test pressing. Also, the matrix codes are similar but not the same. But both variantes apparently were pressed at MPO, but most likely in different batches, which could make a difference as far as non-fill is concerned.

Have any folks with European copies reported non-fill issues?

When I first listened to my European pressing, I did not notice any non-fill. I am listening again to my needledrop with headphones, just to check again. I use only very minor click repair settings for my needledrops of new vinyl, and these settings never change/fix any non-fill sounds, I always have to fix these manually.

JNTEX likes this.
  3. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

I have since learned the noise on TUIB is Bob’s jacket buttons scrapping against his guitar. It’s annoying but not a defect.

Percy Song and Xander2017 like this.
  4. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Better than Blood on the Crap!

hi_watt and yardbuzzard like this.
  5. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

My copy (riddled with non-fill) has MPO machine-stamped in the deadwax, but it does NOT say "Made in the EU" anywhere on the label or sleeve.

[​IMG]

Here's what's stamped / written in the deadwax, if it helps any of the sleuths out there:

Side 1 -- MPO (logo) 19 107974 (machine stamp) / 19-0007NL - 190 75931221 (hand-written)
    Side 2 -- MPO (logo) 19 107981 (machine stamp) / 19-0007NL - 190 75931221 (hand-written)

6. yardbuzzard

yardbuzzard Forum Resident

A really horrible, sick remark. I like it!

hi_watt and CBackley like this.
  7. O.k., I listened again to the whole album via headphones, and there is absolutely no non-fill on my EU release of "Blood on the Tracks - Test Pressing". Very quiet playback overall.

JNTEX and CBackley like this.
  8. yardbuzzard

yardbuzzard Forum Resident

I’m actually really glad your copy was in decent enough shape. Nobody deserved a nice copy more than you, after what happened to you a couple releases ago.

HominyRhodes likes this.
  9. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

So does anyone have a pristine USA one or a faulty EU one? Is there a pattern?

JNTEX and fishcane like this.
  10. JudasPriest

JudasPriest Forum Resident

Little bit of distortion here and there on Simple Twist and Lily (not non fill) but it's all glorious. Not as clean overall as, say the Mofi SACD, but its still a glorious sonic universe that completely envelopes me every time. It's a wow release in my book.

hi_watt and HominyRhodes like this.
  11. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

3 very short bursts on non-fill on side two during “If You See Her, Say Hello”. Got my copy in the Netherlands.

chacha, JNTEX and CBackley like this.
  12. AFAIK there is no discernible pattern in terms of faulty records pressed for US v EU.

It appears MPO are equally happy to provide crappy records to both continents.

I paid a lot for my copy but seeing as it's perfect and therefore one of the minority, it would appear that decent copies are out there in only a very small number which arguably therefore justifies my outlay to a certain extent.

JNTEX and CBackley like this.
  13. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

Good question.

JNTEX and RayS like this.
  14. Xander2017

Xander2017 Forum Resident

Thanks for posting this.

15. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

+1
    A nice 24/96 file freely available and an inexpensive - $5.99? - CD would be a nice gesture. . . Would certainly work for me!
    This is the label variation w a single line of copy at the bottom. I guess the version w 2 lines of copy would be the EU version.

16. BlackCircleVinyl

BlackCircleVinyl Forum Resident

I feel like I won the jackpot on this one!
    Firstly the shipping of this to New Zealand was delayed so no copies were available here on Record Store Day. I put my name down for a copy for when they arrived with no guarantee they could fulfill that request. Subsequently I’ve been reading this thread and had become certain I would spend my money on a non-fill riddled piece of horror.
    Yesterday I received a message that my stores’ allocation had arrived and there was a copy available for me, what’s more they were running a 20% off sale which they applied to this record also (bringing the inflated local price down to something closer to the retail pricing elsewhere in the world).
    I sat down to listen via headphones today, certain that a disturbing amount of non-full was just moments away... To my delight both sides were defect free, Phew! Now I can go back and listen all over again to the music rather than as a quality control exercise.
    My copy has Made in the EU printed on the sticker to the back side of the cover and the MPO machine stamp in the deadwax, hopefully that is of help to anyone trying to solve the “pressing guessing” here.

17. Mezzer

Mezzer Forum Resident

If it's any consolation, that shop in North Haarlem lists Record Store Day items that they don't actually have in stock. I made the mistake of ordering a RSD item from them and am still awaiting a refund.

JNTEX and Dreaddazzman like this.
  18. Dreaddazzman

Dreaddazzman Forum Resident

If we're talking about the same store, I had that issue with them earlier in the year when trying to pick up some Beatles Mono titles. They list everything as "in stock" regardless of whether they have it. When I enquired about what the hold up was, they told me they were trying to get them from their distributor, which I knew was impossible since the titles were already OOP. I did eventually get the refund, but it took a while.

19. chaz

chaz Senior Member

Same with mine on those two. Just horrible.

20. JNTEX

JNTEX Lava Police

I have an eu copy on the way

HominyRhodes likes this.
  21. They are all pressed in France. Every single copy.

marcb and JNTEX like this.
  22. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

I know that this is briefly off subject, but I wanted to comment on this statement. Many online sellers do not have the new merchandise in their possession when posting the item for sale. They simply order it and have it shipped to your address. Clever ... right? I believe Discogs is addressing this by not allowing sellers to post what they do not have. This is more than an inconvenience for us buyers because it allows us to believe that the item has been set aside - when in reality we lose precious time finding a seller who actually does have it. It also ties up our money and we now have to fret and fight to get it refunded.

23. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I have that on my copy as well. Fine up til then. Haven’t been able to listen further as yet.

24. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

Yeah, listen to that MUSIC :cheers:

yardbuzzard, Percy Song and DavidD like this.
  25. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

The 5 US copies on Discogs are going for $100 without shipping and this weekend will be 3 weeks since release. Are we still on schedule to expect to see prices come down eventually....?