Blu-ray 3D - not dead yet?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by kevywevy, Oct 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Derek Gee

Derek Gee Senior Member

No, the studios supported the 3D blu ray format pretty well, although they overpriced the discs. The problem was the manufacturers. While a software format was standardized, the display technology was not, and this confused consumers. Glasses for one system weren't guaranteed to work on other systems, and the glasses prices were high until the passive systems came along later.

Derek

2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Agree on the many active 3D glasses expensive and confusing. Also with plasmas ( least my model) dark picture. Still it was a option. I won’t be spending mega $$$ on my next tv that’s for sure unless there’s 3D TV availability.

Ghostworld and Larry Mc like this.
  3. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

do you mean 'guardians of the galaxy' in 3d?
    here - amazon.ca actually ....
    https://www.amazon.ca/Guardians-Gal...the+galaxy+3d&qid=1554180374&s=gateway&sr=8-2

'guardians of the galaxy 2' in 3D
    https://www.amazon.ca/Guardians-Gal...the+galaxy+3d&qid=1554180374&s=gateway&sr=8-3

get both 1&2, in 3D for around $70+tax ...... from canada

guardians 1 in 3D from uk is ONE DOLLAR more expensive with this actual title after subtraction of VAT and addition of import fees and shiping, and exchange rate ...... one dollar more. $37 ish CAD

you're not going to have to pay $70 for one 3d movie from the uk (unless its a marketplace seller gone outta control)..... the prices are much more reasonable, considering they are unavailable in north america ...... the uk region free blu-rays sold on amaz.ca (by marketplace sellers) are usually more expensive than ordering them direct from amaz.co.uk ..... and they have the same excellent customer service as well .....(i've bought lots of vinyl from the uk .... hassle free) ....

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
    kevywevy likes this.
  4. alexpop

Region 2 3D BD are inexpensive in Europe, steelbooks can up the price.

polchik likes this.
  5. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

curious has anyone actually seen, at home, the most recent transformers in 3D? i have a soft spot for 3D transformers lmao ..... anyway, i read that it was shot natively in imax 3D ......

i have an epson projector and it does 3D amazingly well ..... i think i enjoy 3D at home just as much if not more, than at the cinema ...... the fake 3D function on it is even watchable lmao.

6. alexpop

Active or passive glasses for Epson ?

7. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

active .... usb charged ... i have the epson 6030UB ... i project to a 100" screen and sit about 8 to 10 feet from it lol .....

kronning and alexpop like this.
  8. alexpop

Would my panny active glasses be compatible ?

9. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

don't know for sure, but i'm guessing not ..... i got 2 pairs of glasses that actually came with the projector .....

alexpop likes this.
  10. alexpop

Ah! The catch.
    Panasonic had quite a few 3D glasses, no doubt all incompatible.

Aside .,i seen a Sony 3D TV with passive glasses and the picture was good/ bright, this was a couple of years ago. Looks like any newbie that’s just got the home cinema 3D bug will have to get a projector.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
    Ghostworld likes this.
  11. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

you know i’ve always been intrigued by 3d displays .... i used to have panny plasmas( well i still have one, thats actually behind the projector screen lol) .... and have NEVER seen a 3d tv operate!

12. alexpop

My panny stw50( st50) great black levels, wonderful with 2D but picture too dark in 3D ( but still watchable :)).

Derek Gee likes this.
  13. Vinyl is final

Vinyl is final Not Insane - I have a sense of humor

Your post reminded me of a couple of things. First, the back to the future ride, when it first opened, made a lot of people sick. They had to reprogram it to change the synch between what people saw and what they felt.

Second, reminds me of the youtube video I saw a few months ago regarding why 24 fps is king for movies. It really drove the point home that the subtle lack of reality of 24 frame vs 60 or 120 is what gives movies a dreamy, "not quite real" quality that is actually damaged by high frame rates. I now realize exactly what the guy was talking about. It was a couple of years ago that I finally figured out the puzzle regarding why old video soap operas looked more "real" than movies even though they had poorer picture quality. It was the frame rate.

So much of art is subjective. It's why we like black and white film. It's why we like vinyl. Etcetera. The appreciation of beauty our Lord endowed us with is a complex thing.

kronning and Ghostworld like this.
  14. Derek Gee

Derek Gee Senior Member

Yep, I get great black levels from my Panny TC-P55GT31. I adjusted the 3D display to be brighter, and I watch 3D with the lights completely out and that gives me an acceptable picture.

Derek

alexpop likes this.
  15. Derek Gee

Derek Gee Senior Member

Exactly! 29.97 fps is what makes TV look more live. I had the chance to see a couple of the early Cinerama films exhibited in the original film process and running at 26 fps. It's a subtle increase in reality that worked perfectly with the sharp picture on a curved screen (146 degrees) and 7 channel sound to heighten the illusion of reality to the viewer!

The couple of high frame rate films I saw (two of Jackson's Hobbit series) looked dreadfully fake at 48 fps, and the motion didn't flow right. See the article below for further discussion...

https://gizmodo.com/the-hobbit-an-unexpected-masterclass-in-why-48-fps-fai-5969817

Derek

Ghostworld and alexpop like this.
  16. alexpop

Adjusting the 3D display to make it brighter shortens the plasma‘s life I read.

17. Vinyl is final

Vinyl is final Not Insane - I have a sense of humor

I expect that a day is coming very soon where we'll have a room in our home that has floor to ceiling high resolution video on all walls, and the signal can come from live feeds from anywhere in the world, or perhaps even "immersion" videogames written specifically for it. For that, I'd want the highest frame rate possible. But for fiction, yeah, I've learned to appreciate the lower frame rate. That being said, I wonder if it may actually be cultural. That is, eventually 24 fps will look "too fake" to people in 50 years or so, once everyone gets used to high frame rates. Kinda like how we see old silent films now.

Deesky likes this.
  18. kevywevy

kevywevy Senior Member Thread Starter

I read somewhere that your brain needs some kind of constant light source to calibrate against when watching 3D on TV so I have a very dim light pointed at the wall behind the TV to provide a bit of indirect very dim light.

Derek Gee likes this.
  19. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

So, sadly late to the 3D tv game. When I can I watch a movie at the theatre in 3D. I love the experience with the right movie. Since I was a child I have been a 3D nut.

After many years of lust and 3D viewing envy I splurged for an Optoma 3D projector. After calibrating I finally started up a 3D movie - Alice in Wonderland by Tim Burton. A good starter choice for me becuase I like the movie and I think the 3D effect was good. I waited til I could have it nice and dark and I was not disappointed. The depth effect is almost better than when I saw it in the theatres. My projector is a short throw and I am sitting about 7 feet from a 95 inch screen. I had to get used to a dimmer screen but it's not terrible. Again about the same as it was in the theatre. For me, I find the 3D effect adds to the impact of the movie. I know it was a 2D to 3D conversion but it's a good one. I can hardly wait to finish the movie and move on to Hugo and Gravity. It was Hugo that convinced me to get a 3D tv.

chaz, Oatsdad and darkmass like this.
  20. Somewhat Damaged

Somewhat Damaged Forum Resident

I watched Skyscraper in Blu-Ray 3D last night (£4 in Fopp sale). I enjoyed the film (I switched my brain off). The 3D worked really well. It looked very good. It wasn’t like three cardboard planes on top of each other. It’s probably the first 3D movie I’ve watched in years. The technology does work. I’m tempted to try a few more films that I originally watched on 2D instead (I didn’t buy the 3D versions, someone else did). For example I watched Bladerunner 2049 and Solo in 2D when I had the option of seeing them in 3D.

alexpop likes this.
  21. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

For me it's getting harder to sink money into something that will be obsolete or dated in a couple of years.
    I've never had a store clerk tell me, "wait before you buy that tv, it's going to be replaced by a 8K next month". :)

alexpop likes this.
  22. alexpop

I got Aquaman 3D better than the cinema experience, mighty fine 3D BD as well, the production values excelled. Wish I could say the same about Dark Phoenix not much love and $$$ put into that one.

23. alexpop

Store clerk “?

I just hope I get a few more years with my Panasonic plasma. Admittedly most 3D discs are dual discs so I’ll still be able to watch the films in another player /tv just not in 3D. You’d think they’d be some bright spark company would include 3D in future tv manufacturing.Makes sense as 3D discs are still being made available.
    Aside ..there may be some nos older 3D TVs still on the shelve somewhere.

Larry Mc likes this.
  24. alexpop

Assuming folk don’t have a aversion to 3D films wearing glasses ..feeling sick. The films are usually shot with a 3D lens ( or 2D-3D conversion) so they work better watching them in 3D.

25. ted321

ted321 Forum Resident

Really enjoyed the 3D TV experience and bought quite a few 3D titles. Unfortunately my Panasonic plasma died about 1 1/2 years ago and bought a new TV which of course does not offer 3D. Home 3D is dead.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.