Blu Ray Audio Ripping

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by haastilecreation, Jan 7, 2018.

1. haastilecreation

haastilecreation Forum Resident Thread Starter

So I have a few Blu Ray audio discs and I have no clue on how to extract the audio. I saw a couple of older threads but I know there are always new apps and programs popping up every year. I'll be ripping these to ALAC. What is the best program/easiest way to get the job done?

2. MARTHY

MARTHY Forum Resident

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  3. qrarolu

qrarolu Forum Resident

...and when you've made a backup with makemkv you can extract the BluRay audio with Dvd Audio Extractor.

Lonevej likes this.
  4. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

This thread reminds me I need to extract the 5.1 Meddle off the Pink Floyd Early Years Blu-ray.

quicksrt and Instant Dharma like this.
  5. As a bonus, both programs allow for a full featured, 30 day trial. You can get a lot of ripping done in 30 days. I eventually bought both, but if you only ave a few discs, you can get by without paying for anything.

SamS likes this.
  6. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma RIP Tyco the kitten. 2012-4/26/19

I find it easier to create a backup with makemkv then extract that straight into dvdae.

Ham Sandwich likes this.
  7. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

MakeMKV using the extract to FLAC option followed by Audiomuxer extract audio from MKV. Both free. Failing that, DVDFab to rip whole disc to hard drive followed by DVDAudio Extractor to extract audio. First option worked on the Floyd Meddle 5.1!

8. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

Assume my oppo 103 will play the file from my external hd ok??

quicksrt likes this.
  9. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

Mine does quite happily (103D).

10. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

thanks!

11. marcb

marcb Senior Member

If you do a search, this has been covered many times.

12. harby

harby Forum Resident

And best of all, I can roll back a virtual machine snapshot to before it was installed and install again. I doubt they'd sue me in a US court over the DMCA-circumvention tools they make.

haastilecreation likes this.
  13. harby

harby Forum Resident

If you do a search, everything has been covered somewhere. Especially vinyl - the answer might have been discovered in the last 50 years or so... doesn't stop "has anybody ever xxxx" threads.

quicksrt likes this.
  14. haastilecreation

haastilecreation Forum Resident Thread Starter

Well I appreciate everyone who has responded.

15. Vinylsoul 1965

Vinylsoul 1965 Forum Resident

Mac users, do you recommend a Blu Ray drive to be able to do this? I do have a few discs that I would like to rip so I can play the music on my portable devices *without going to analog to do it* Thanks in advance!

16. B-Mike

B-Mike Forum Resident

I was able to figure it out a month or two ago using DVD Audio Extractor and RedFox AnyDVD - both running at the same time. I imagine someone more tech savvy would do it differently, but these two worked for me.

17. I have a Pioneer BDR-XD05S that I use with MakeMKV an dDVD-AE.

It was cheap, available locally at Best Buy, and it has worked with every disc I have thrown at it. For reasons that may or may not be related to the drive, it also does CD Rips to JRiver much more quickly than my Apple Superdrive.

quicksrt and Vinylsoul 1965 like this.
  18. Vinylsoul 1965

Vinylsoul 1965 Forum Resident

Thanks BGLeduc :)

BGLeduc likes this.
  19. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

This article is a very good step-by-step method for ripping audio from BluRay:
    Guide To Ripping DVD and Blu-ray Audio Using The Dark Side Of The Moon Immersion Box Set

There will be times when there will be a restriction and you will need to use MakeMKV to extract to a file, and then use dvdaudioextractor to read that file (instead of the physical BluRay) . For those discs you will need the key. Here is the link for that to work while it is still in 'beta' mode:
    www.makemkv.com • View topic - MakeMKV is free while in beta

20. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

You may find something in this article (4 years old):
    Turn your Mac into the ultimate Blu-ray player

21. Dang it!! I thought I had read something like that, but could not find it when my trial ran out.

Oh well.....I suppose $50 won't kill me, and I have ripped quite a few discs over the trial period, plus, and it is good to help whomever created this program.

ciderglider and stereoptic like this.
  22. marcb

marcb Senior Member

If you do a search, you’ll find that you’ll get more and better info by doing a search because many of the most knowledgable people on a topic don’t enjoy posting the same thing multiple times.

stereoptic likes this.
  23. ccbarr

ccbarr Forum Resident

Hey all, I hate to ask, but I've been searching for the last couple hours, got the new Imagine set, want to rip the high res files to FLAC for my Pono. I normally use DVD Audio Extractor, bought the program and everything. Went to rip the disc today and it said it is BD+ protected. The FAQ suggested MakeMKV so I downloaded it. The program loads the disc fine, lists everything. But this is where I am having trouble. I have no clue what to do next.

I press make a MKV file, and after about 10 minutes it is done. I open DVD Audio Extractor and try to select the mkv file to convert, but the folder shows it's empty. The file is in there, I'm guessing I'm making the wrong file format. But I have no clue how to change it.

Sorry for this long question, but if anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated. I am using Windows 10, if that matters.

24. jeffreybh

jeffreybh Forum Resident

You need to choose backup from the menu as opossed to make mkv

25. ccbarr

ccbarr Forum Resident

I just seen that, but it is greyed out for some reason. I just downloaded the program today, it has a 30 day trial. Every other option works, but backup is not able to be selected.

Thank you for the help, I really do appreciate it. I don't know why I can't select backup, I am using an external BD drive, maybe that is it. I guess if it comes down to it I can rip the CDs, but I feel like I'm overlooking something simple

Really do appreciate the advice, if you have any other ideas I'd gladly take them.