Blu-ray.com down

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Rigoberto, Apr 16, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident Thread Starter

Anyone know what's going on?

2. xiaNaix

xiaNaix Forum Resident

One of their server hard drives failed. All of the data is fine but their setup was running CentOS, which was recently discontinued. They are looking into upgrade options so the site will likely be down for a few days.

3. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

thank you for that update @xiaNaix !

polchik likes this.
  4. Roman Potato Chip

Roman Potato Chip Forum Resident

They're down so much I'm not surprised anymore when there's an error.

Regginold31 likes this.
  5. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

I don't recall a time in the past several years when it has been down for days. In any event, I'd think that the owners could find support in the same ways that this one does.

Regginold31, Matt I and joannenugent like this.
  6. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

It also looks like their server was hacked with a redirect to a sketchy looking website called communities.com. Not everyone is being redirected there, and many people’s browsers will give security warnings (which should be heeded). Not the kind of hack that means your Blu-Ray.com login info was stolen, just the kind where the htaccess file has been rewritten to drive visitors to a bad website.

Just wait for them to announce on Facebook when they’re back. For the record, I visit them most every day and this is the first time they’ve been down in months. Facebook page: Blu-ray.com

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
  7. cdcollector87

cdcollector87 Forum Resident

Yeah I wondered why it was redirecting to that. Looked a little questionable.

8. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Yeah. I got the warning and bypassed it to see what happens.

Anyhow, I wonder if any Gorts would get in touch with blu folks to offer advice. This site seems to be so well run. I don't take it for granted!

enro99 likes this.
  9. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Yeah, when my computer suddenly warned me about their website I initially thought it was Firefox screwing around again. Heip us Obi-wan Kenobi!

bmasters9 likes this.
  10. Roman Potato Chip

Not days, but see it down in the early morning a lot for a bit. I didn't mean to critique the site runners, I was just stating my experience with it. That the site's been inaccessible frequently enough that I'm not really surprised when it happens anymore. Down for days though? That's different.

Regginold31 likes this.
  11. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

thanks.... I was wondering myself!
    the best site on the net for Blu-ray info!

12. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

Unexpected downtime

Hello everyone! We have a faulty OS hard drive which didn't want to be replaced in an easy way, which has caused the unexpected downtime. The site and your data is on other hard drives and we also have mirrored backups in several geographical locations so you don't need to worry about data loss.

The server ran CentOS which was abruptly discontinued recently, therefore we are evaluating our options on whether to try to go back to the OS we have now, or install a new OS.

Because of Covid and that it's Friday night, things will take longer than usual to fix, unfortunately it will probably take several days. We will be working non-stop to get the site back online.

We deeply apologize about this, Blu-ray.com is not run by a large corporation therefore our mirrored backup sites aren't powerful enough to simply switch over the complete site immediately.

// Blu-ray.com team

13. JimW

JimW In the Process of Becoming

They shut down every morning at 6 am for maintenance.

14. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

thanks for this....

longdist01 likes this.
  15. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

I just know there's a great deal on something I want that will be gone by the time they're back on line. :waiting:

DorothyV and BeatleJWOL like this.
  16. Roman Potato Chip

How did I not know that? Oh, well. I've seen them down at other times too, but 6 am maintenance makes a lot of sense now.

Regginold31 likes this.
  17. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Yep, 6am ET every morning (11am here in the U.K.), usually for about ten minutes, but sometimes it drags on a little longer.

Hope they get the current issue sorted soon. I’m a daily visitor to the site.

18. BuckNaked

BuckNaked Senior Member

Update 2021-04-18:

Since we are offline anyway we are going to take the opportunity to upgrade to a new supported OS which is the better long-term decision. However, it will mean some more days offline since many things needs to be re-installed/configured manually.

Grooge likes this.
  19. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Sigh. How much longer!?

Jimmy B. likes this.
  20. GregM

GregM The expanding man

unclefred likes this.
  21. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

That was one of my daily go to sites back in the good ole days of the internet and of DVD's. It may have had a forum, not sure but a couple of similar sites did. That was before weirdos and trolls brought everything down to the bottom of the barrel.

BuckNaked and Heavy Music like this.
  22. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Weirdos and trolls infesting a site? Imagine that!

supermd, JediJones and unclefred like this.
  23. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

Wait, there was an internet BEFORE weirdos and trolls?

mBen989, hi_watt and unclefred like this.
  24. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

Ha! maybe I'm looking back through rose colored memory goggles.

joannenugent and JediJones like this.
  25. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Thanks! I've felt lost for the better part of a week.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.