“Blue Camel” by Rabih Abou-Khalil, does it need an audiophile reissue?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by spacecoyote, Jul 27, 2019.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spacecoyote

spacecoyote Astral Resident Thread Starter

An amazing album, one of the first jazz cds I ever bought, a random purchase at Compact Disc World, and I’m on my second copy.

Now that I’m “back in to vinyl” I find myself searching out the best LP versions of my favorite albums. And when I started looking around for this one, I learned just how obscure it really is. There has been only one round of format releases in 1992 and that’s it. LP and CD. Knowing that gets me wondering.

Is this album one where the market exists for a reissue? Remaster? Remix? Repress?

Should this album have an “audiophile” reissue?

Blue Camel - Wikipedia

2. Jeff Brocklebank

Jeff Brocklebank Forum Resident

I only have a digital copy. One of the best "fusions" of jazz and middle eastern music that I've heard (though I'm far from an expert). I've got some albums by Ahmed Abdul-Malik and his albums sounded much more forced - like inserting a saxophone in an otherwise Arabic sounding song etc. blue Camel sounds like a much more natural combination of styles, to me anyway.

Rooster_Ties and spacecoyote like this.
  3. spacecoyote

spacecoyote Astral Resident Thread Starter

Does anyone here, have this on vinyl?

Does anyone know if the original sessions were produced in analog, or to digital?

4. coniferouspine

coniferouspine Forum Resident

I love this album, and the couple others he did around it with the similar covers on Enja and a couple of other labels at the same time. I never really thought of it in terms of an "audiophile" release before, but it is phenomenal sounding. I would buy it in a heartbeat instead of endless repeats of Kind of Blue and Santana and the usual suspects....

5. Sure, why not? I have about 6 or maybe 7 of Rabih Abou-Khalil's leader-dates on CD, and although they're all pretty spectacular, I think Blue Camel is maybe the best of the bunch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.