Blue Jeans Cables?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dreamingtree1855, Oct 31, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

I am wondering if he is just razzing the OP.....those Oval cables in some instances are 70X the price of the BJC.:)

2. Mel Harris

Mel Harris Audiophile since 1970!

I know lots of people (myself included) who use Blue Jeans LC1 cables and have had good experience with them (but I agree they stick out too far). I know others who think the cables are just too inexpensive to do proper "justice" to a high end system.

The only way you can be sure is to listen for yourself. Like others have said in the thread, some people get emotional about audio interconnects.

david1111 and Big Blue like this.
  3. Nah just a thread crap.

johnny q likes this.
  4. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

I imagine Blue Jeans cables would be the best suited for listening to Relaxed Fit Jeans music.

DonnyMe likes this.
  5. JohnCarter17

JohnCarter17 Forum Resident

This is great advice. Get yourself some reasonably priced cables, like Monoprice or Blue Jeans. After that, any improvements should be made everywhere else.

pressureworld and tmtomh like this.
  6. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Monoprice offers very reasonably priced cables made out of the stiffest RG6 coax they could find, and terminate them with cheap death-grip RCAs capable of ripping off PCB mounted jacks (speaking from experience). But you'll be able to sleep better at night knowing you didn't spend one cent more on cables then you had to, which causes Snake Oil to take an L. Somehow.

7. JohnCarter17

JohnCarter17 Forum Resident

pressureworld and david1111 like this.
  8. maglorine

maglorine Forum Resident

I use Blue Jeans LC1 and 10 gauge speaker cables. Very pleased.

pressureworld, apesfan and david1111 like this.
  9. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

Ahh you want to fuss. csgreene I ain't going there.

10. Slippers-on

Nope...Ive had both years ago...BJC was no match in making the music sound better.

unclefred and MackKnife like this.
  11. Slippers-on

No thread crap. He asked a question...."are they highly regarded?"....in my opinion and the opinion of a lot of other cats...no they are not.

But if you're one of those who really dig BJC, and seeing you've already testified to that fact...more power to you.

unclefred likes this.
  12. Mel Harris

Mel Harris Audiophile since 1970!

The Monoprice death-grip is an actual thing. This is the primary reason I avoid their interconnects.

13. Slippers-on

Wow! Youre a genius!

14. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

Serious question: A three-foot pair of RCA cables at Blue Jeans would cost me about $40. The Analysis Plus cables at one meter would cost me $109. If I shouldn’t spend $109 on cables, why should I spend $40? I can get Amazon brand for $10.

15. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Same here; my audio rack could just not accomodate such contraptions, since my vintage decks are quite deep, and so is my Oppo. That one was the hardest to fit, paired to the quite long RCA plugs my Kirlin cable features, HDMIs, wireless dongle, etc.

16. Build quality? AWG? Style preference? Country of manufactur?

ribonucleic and Big Blue like this.
  17. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

This has always been something I've wondered as well - The argument is that BJC is merely "well made" vs. "magic", but you can't really argue the former is a value proposition. In other words, while everything about BJC is objective and quantifiable, I've never understood why it's the brand held up as the antithesis of snake oil.

Note I imagine BJC's answer would be because they're paying Americans with health care to terminate cable made in America with connectors made in America. That moves a lot of dials for some folks. But as others have pointed out upthread, you can get all that from cheaper places as well.

ribonucleic and SandAndGlass like this.
  18. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

You need to describe the specific differences between the cable -- are the terminations durable, can they may a tight connection, are they low resistance (most really made of the most conductive materials, instead they're made of the sturdiest ones; what is the difference in the shielding geometry -- braided shield, foil shield, both, double braided shield, spiral shield, how is the shield connected: does it run right up to the posts or is it connected by a ground wire -- and resistance and coverage; how are the cables connected to the plugs; what is the dielectric and what is the capacitance (probably only really significant in phono applications and in long runs)....then there's the esoteric stuff that may or may not impact sound which everyone argues about as to whether or not they impact sonic performance -- the grain structure and purity of the copper conductor; solid core vs. stranded core vs. litz; velocity of propagation of the dielectric; etc. You can't really judge any possible differences between the cables by price.
    For a 3 foot connection between say a CD player or DAC and a preamp or between a preamp and an amp, it may not matter much; for a phono cable some of these things may matter a lot.

19. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

What I mean is - How do we establish that the line between quality and snake oil is right here at Blue Jeans? Why is $40 good and $109 outrageous?

20. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

I'm having a great experience with this ones; cheap , flexible AND well built (shielded, 24 AWG, OFC) The RCAs hace a very soft grip going in, but they have a strong grip coming out, yet far from a ¨death grip¨, and are sweetly priced , only ¨con¨, if you want to see it like that, is that the connectors are nickel-plated, as opposed to gold-plated :

Kirlin AP-401PR, 2x RCA - 2x RCA Patch Cable — The Kirlin Shop

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
    SandAndGlass likes this.
  21. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

@dreamingtree1855 - no one is going to be able to provide definitive information that Blue Jeans cables are the best choice. On the one hand, some will claim that more expensive cables improve the sound (personally I don't agree with that). On the other hand, others will claim that less expensive cables, if well-made and carefully chosen, will perform just as well as Blue Jeans cables (personally I feel confident there is some truth to that).

However, I would join what appears to be the consensus in this thread that Blue Jeans cables are unquestionably well-performing, well-made products that are reasonably priced. Trying to get better sound by spending more - or trying to get equivalent build quality by spending less - is a crap-shoot, which IMHO puts Blue Jeans in the "sweet spot" of price-performance. For that reason, you really can't go wrong with them.

22. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

You have to understand what makes one cable different from another in terms of elements that affect performance, just like you would want to know evaluating claims about a car's performance or a washing machine's performance or something. And that means looking at the construction, electrical specs, geometry, materials. Then you have to become educated and maybe experiment with some of these other things to see if you can discern any consistently audible difference that can be attributed to them. The basics are well understood. The questions of whether or not stuff like skin effect is meaningful at audio frequencies or anything, is a matter of dispute. No one has been able to resolve whether or not that's snake oil. There IS a lot of mumbo jumbo marketing speak used sometimes to describe basic things. I resent that stuff. How to evaluate other claims like George Cardas' claims about matched velocity propagation, you need to be more than just a consumer.

23. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Diminishing returns doesn’t start at $0. The Analysis Plus cables may be perfectly worth the $109, I don’t know. It’s very possible I will try them out at some point. But the logic of your question seems to rely on the $10 Amazon Basics cable being as good as cables can get, otherwise a $30 price increase from one cable to another would yield no more benefit than an additional $69 does for a third cable.

MackKnife likes this.
  24. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

It really is a blast to simply make your own and even make it directional by living the shield on one end. Save $$.

25. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Ah, yes, I see what you mean. I actually don’t think $109 is outrageous, but when the OP is asking if BJC’s $40 cables are good, I can see how the “no, spend almost 3x as much” post drew some cross looks from members who find BJC to be perfectly fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.