Blue Nile - Vinyl Reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Pavol Stromcek, Oct 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mumdad

Mumdad Forum Resident

No, nothing to do with that. To add insult to injury one of my Popol Vuh boxes actually arrived with a separate order for a single LP, which was of course double boxed.

They seem to set packaging guidelines per specific item so if you happen to buy something that's had the guideline set by someone who doesn't know what they're doing, they'll all be sent out like that until they bother to change it. What's weird is that for single LPs you'd think there'd just be a standard, automatic guideline set if only to save themselves time.

2. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Thanks, I will post here what type of packaging I receive. Only printing 1,000 Copies per Title(unless that was just the initial reported listing and more copies have been pressed), seems stupid to use such terrible packaging(Bubble Wrap Mailers) for these 3 Blue Nile Releases(or any Vinyl Records). The Vinyl Mailers used by Amazon(US & UK and assume their other Country Locations) are not great to begin with as they are thin so any damage during shipping can cause Creases or Corner Dings, unlike what is used by most Vinyl On-Line Retailers who use Wider Mailers and 2 Cardboard Stiffeners(and used by most Sellers here in the Classifieds).

I would love to get in contact with Jeff Bezos(Amazon Founder) about using better Vinyl Mailers to save his company money on Returns for Damaged Jacket Covers by going the cheapest route on then Vinyl Mailers.

I would like to buy more often from Burning Shed, but their Shipping Cost to the US is very high and returning Damaged items back to England also cold be expensive. Return Shipping Cost is the main reason I do not order Vinyl often from Music Direct, Acoustic Sounds and ElusiveDiscs, otherwise, I would buy all of my Vinyl from them like I do for SACD Titles.

ImportsCDs also has shipped Vinyl and lousy thin Cardboard Mailers and same for ordering 1 CD that had cracks in the Jewel Case. I bought Tull's 'Stormwatch' Book Box Set from them and it was shipped in a thin cardboard box that I was surprised arrived with no Damage(Dings, Dents, Creases, etc.) to the Outer Book Box, so I got lucky. I ordered that Deluxe Book Box from them, as was much lower than Amazon, plus I used a 10% Off Code available a few weeks ago, but will not order any JT Book Box Sets from them in the future(actually not interested in any Future Titles from JT). I did receive the Prince '1999' Deluxe CD Box in a better Outer Box Packaging though, so it arrived with no damage.

When I mail out CDs, I place Bubble Wrap around them and in most cases add a Cardboard Sheet on the Top and Bottom for extra protection, if mailing in a Bubble Wrapped Envelope. Why are ImportsCDs and Amazon(in some cases) not packing their CDs as well as me when I sell Used or New CDs?

3. Oliver Meyer

Oliver Meyer In Audio Heaven Up Here

Received Peace at Last & A Walk Across the Rooftop. The boxes looked like that had been smashed. Luckily one was in a cardboard mailer and was unscathed. The other just sat on some brown paper. The corner has a slight dent.
    The paper sleeves are tight and junk and will be replaced with MoFi sleeves.
    The vinyl is really heavy which is a good sign although filthy and loaded with static. I’ve given both a good clean.
    I really hope Hats arrives in good shape.

4. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

This was my copy from Amazon in a padded envelope. I refunded it and got it cheaper from Rough Trade in store:

[​IMG]

Grow Fins, sennj and NunoBento like this.
  5. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

Yep, I had the same.

Porkpie likes this.
  6. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Given all the bad news in this thread, maybe it is time to ask a Gort to re-name it:

Blue Nile - Vinyl Issues

?

I gave up on vinyl a long time ago, but it still pains me to see so much product needlessly trashed (I get the same feeling when I see the vinyl on display at my local B&N), and especially a limited edition release like this (which I think we can assume that no one in the Amazon packaging department either knew or cared about).

sennj and mishima's dog like this.
  7. imarcq

imarcq Men are from Mars, I'm from Bromley...

I had them delivered in exactly the same order..... an initial box had 1LP in a mailer, some brown paper, and 1LP loose. Fortunately the loose one survived, and mailer one OK too...then a few days later Hats arrived bent corners, bent sleeve, with ringwear in the flimsy bubble-wrap bag... pictures of those are down thread.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
    Oliver Meyer likes this.
  8. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Some of my records from 40 years ago look better than that.:D

Neonbeam and c-eling like this.
  9. Oliver Meyer

Oliver Meyer In Audio Heaven Up Here

Well despite the bumps on the corners of A Walk Across the Rooftop, the vinyl came clean and sounds stunning. Great job on the pressing

imarcq, Porkpie and mishima's dog like this.
  10. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

If it’s a slight dent, or even one corner, I don’t really mind, but when it’s all 4 and as a result of being put in an envelope then I want a new copy. Happy to report that the pressing is excellent and the music sounds fantastic! Very with this release.

NunoBento, Grow Fins and sennj like this.
  11. Jerry James

Jerry James Rorum Fesident

I've played AWATR and Hats so far. They are perfectly pressed and dead silent except for "Easter Parade", which has constant, low-level background throughout that track only - bummer; as it's such a quiet song.

Oliver Meyer likes this.
  12. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member Thread Starter

Well, today, 12/6, is the day on which the Blue Nile LPs were originally slated to be available on Amazon (US), and my order is still saying there's no delivery date estimate yet. I hope it'll arrive eventually!

13. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Yeah me too. Between this and my VMP Blossom Dearie order, I'd sure love to see shipping notices on both!

Pavol Stromcek likes this.
  14. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Hats is at 16 in the UK Vinyl chart this week.

15. mishima's dog

mishima's dog Forum Resident

16 with a bullet.

16. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

Which says a lot for how many lp’s you need to sell to chart these days.....

NunoBento likes this.
  17. Classicrock

Anyone with original copies compared them with the reissues?

18. Classicrock

Looks like a rogue packer did all of these together. Happened to me twice with other Lps. The replacements arrived in the normal strong packaging. I've even had a couple Lps arrive with an address label on the shrinkwrap and no packaging.

imarcq and NunoBento like this.
  19. AxeD

AxeD Forum Resident

As these are limited re-issues I have just ordered "A walk across the rooftop" and "Hats", because I love both. However, I'm not sure whether I really need these. Whilst writing these line, one of my original vinyl copies of "Hats" is spinning. Sounds fantastic ... (the original Hats CD sounds also very good IMHO)

NunoBento likes this.
  20. petercw2

petercw2 Forum Resident

ordered mine from the BlueNile site back when they were announced, was told it would ship 11/22, then a week later and only when I emailed them - did I find out it had shipped, but not via a means that included tracking - from the UK to the US. hhmmmm. So, no idea when it'll show up or in what form.

21. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

I only ordered Hats, which I was missing in my collection. Have 2 NM copies of Rooftops which I love, so I didn’t see the need to order another one :D

22. HairyWeimer

HairyWeimer I can resist anything but temptation.

Managed to get hold of this when I went to see them at The Birmingham Town Hall, Birmingham on their very first concert tour, they received a standing ovation after every song. It was my daughters first concert she had ever been to, she was so young I had to pick her up! The most emotional concert I have ever been to...

[​IMG][​IMG]

garrincha, c-eling, mcwlod and 9 others like this.
  23. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member Thread Starter

Still no delivery date from Amazon for Hats. At this point, I'll be kind of surprised if I actually get it. I did order it the day it appeared on Amazon.com, but maybe so did everyone else? Has anyone else here ordered it from US Amazon?

24. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Yeah me. Same, first day order. Getting nervous. I’ll take those corner dinged copies if the vinyl plays fine.

Pavol Stromcek likes this.
  25. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

I ordered from Amazon-UK the day it first became available after reading about it on the SDE Website for upcoming/new releases(it pays off to check their website every week just for this reason alone like New Releases that might be Limited, or Sales on Older Box Sets and also Unexpected Releases) and that there would only be 1,000 Copies per Title, and these Blue Nile Vinyl Records were not showing up on Amazon-US, so despite living in the US, did not want take a risk of missing out and ordered from Amazon-UK. Based on your experience(sorry it is not looking good for you, but hopefully just a delay), glad I ordered from Amazon-UK, but I never figured Amazon-US would be provided any of the 1,000 Copies, unless more were actually going to be pressed.

A few days ago I received 2 of the 3 Blue Nile Vinyl Records(Rooftops and Peace) from Amazon-UK, that arrived with Outer Box torn open and retaped, but what made it look potentially like a bigger problem that might damage the Outer Jackets was only one of the Vinyl Records was in a Mailer Vinyl and the other Record was sitting loosely in the Box that must have bounced around during shipping. Somehow that Vinyl Jacket had No Damage such as Dings, Creases-well maybe a minor crease.

I should be receiving 'Hats' in the next few days, as it was shipped separately for some reason, and now just hoping it arrives with no Damage to the Jacket Cover and packaged well. It is bad enough that Amazon uses thin Vinyl Mailers that do not protect Jackets as well as Boxes and Cardboard Stiffeners like Acoustic Sounds, Music Direct and ElusiveDisc uses to package their Vinyl, but to throw one of the 2 records in a box loosely as I described above is terrible, especially since being limited to 1,000 copies per Title, there are no replacements that can be mailed out if needed due to damage.

Now just waiting to see how they packaged 'Hats' to me. I did order 3 Doves Vinyl Records this Summer(Reissues), as one of my Favorite Music Artists the past 19 years(although after 4th Album, 'Kingdom of Rust' in 2009 not included in the Vinyl Reissues for some reason, they did Solo Projects and was not sure if they had permanently broken up, but Q Magazine mentioned they are back together and working on a New Album that I think will be released in 2020). Anyways, ordered the 3 Doves Titles from Amazon UK, and they did place each one in a Separate Vinyl Mailer(even though their Thin Ones) and then placed in one bigger box, so they arrived free of any damage to the Jacket Covers.

Oliver Meyer and guidedbyvoices like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.