Blue Nile - Vinyl Reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Pavol Stromcek, Oct 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member Thread Starter

Yeah, I assumed that if Amazon US had them available for pre-order in the first place, they would have ordered some copies. But it's always possible the Amazon-US order wasn't fulfilled, or they didn't get as many copies as they initially ordered.

This happened to me with the Wire Chairs Missing vinyl reissue in 2018. For some reason Amazon-US weren't able to get a copy to me until nearly two months (!) after the release date. But that was different - and even more perplexing in a way - because presumably way more copies of those Wire reissues were pressed, and they were well stocked in most of the local record shops.

Electric Sydney likes this.
  2. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

I do not understand why these titles were limited to only 1,000 copies each to begin with, as that is even lower than most RSD Releases. Just makes no sense for a Non RSD Release. Hopefully, for people who did not get copies, there will be another reissue within the next few years.

sennj and Electric Sydney like this.
  3. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member Thread Starter

Total agreement. I think limiting these to 1,000 copies each is bizarre. I know they were never massive or anything, but surely their fan base is bigger than that, and their label has to know that.

4. joe1320

joe1320 Forum Resident

It’s crazy small amount if they double it to 2000 each I still think they would sell out

Pavol Stromcek likes this.
  5. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Looking at German Amazon at least one "group" seems to benefit from that number, the people already offering these as "Collectors Item" for 79,99€.:evil:

6. Neonbeam

1000 seems grotesque. Why limit these at all? It's not an enormous, expensive to produce boxset.

In this day and age reissues of albums with expensive original copies should have larger runs. Otherwise flippers are bound to snap them up and take a chance. They already know that this is a title where people are willing to shell out so the risk is minimal. :crazy:

This also happened with "Mark Hollis" were some people that received early copies put them up at "bargain prices". And that wasn't even billed as "limited edition".

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
    Pavol Stromcek and sennj like this.
  7. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

Could it be a licensing issue that has caused only 1000 of each to be pressed?

The 2012 reissues of AWATR and Hats were released by Universal, do they still own the rights to these albums and they have licensed a limited release to the band themselves?

8. Electric Sydney

Electric Sydney Forum Resident

I’m in the US, my copies of the albums ordered from Amazon UK are on the way. Delivery by Australia Post Global? That’s a new one for me.

Oliver Meyer, sennj and imarcq like this.
  9. Technocentral

Technocentral Forum Resident

Yikes, the last few vinyl albums I got from them delivered to Dublin (4 in the last three months) were over packaged if anything and arrived perfect, maybe because Crimbo is so busy in general for them they've run out of the good vinyl packaging?

imarcq likes this.
  10. Jerry James

Jerry James Rorum Fesident

I have compared the new reissues to U.K. originals. In each case I prefer the new reissues. To me, they sounded just a bit more powerful in their presence and presentation. It's not a huge difference by any means; I think the originals are fantastic, but that is the general take away I had after listening to both. I could be happy with either editions, but the new reissues are what I'll reach for when I want to hear them. Anyone else?

11. Oliver Meyer

Oliver Meyer In Audio Heaven Up Here

I did the same and received mine in exactly the same condition. My copy of Hats should be here Friday.

12. petercw2

petercw2 Forum Resident

did anyone else order Hats directly from the Blue Nile site and have received it in the US?

13. petercw2

petercw2 Forum Resident

belay that request - mine appeared this afternoon. shall report back.

14. joe1320

joe1320 Forum Resident

Got my second copy of Hats from Amazon UK today unfortunately again badly damaged sleeve, no replacement available,
    No stock anywhere now

15. brownsound2112

brownsound2112 Forum Resident

Amazon refunded me 40% for a slightly creased sleeve...

16. garrincha

garrincha Forum Resident

result! with such a limited press, I guess those who've sent their slightly dinked copies back are regretting it now

brownsound2112 likes this.
  17. firmino

firmino Forum Resident

Received my copies today. Ordered from BlueNileReissues. Both sleeves in perfect condition. Had a clean with the RCM and am now spinning AWATR. Sounds promising.

18. imarcq

imarcq Men are from Mars, I'm from Bromley...

19. Smith

Smith I'm cyanide over you.

My copy of "Rooftops" showed up from Amazon UK yesterday, as utterly destroyed as could be without damaging the actual LP (at least nothing immediately visible - I haven't played it yet).

Box was obliterated and jacket bent 9 different ways.

Annoying.

20. imarcq

21. John Barrett

John Barrett Forum Resident

So weird to have so many trashed copies via Amazon. I have to report i received Rooftops and Hats from AmazonUK in perfect condition. Not sure how that happened, usually they just chuck them in a big box and hope for the best.
    As reported they sound great, just marks off for inexplicably crappy inner sleeves. What were they thinking?
    Anyway i wish some reissues (with poly inners, great packaging etc..) sounded this good!

imarcq likes this.
  22. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I can’t believe they’ll stick to 1,000 pressings of each considering well they sold. Maybe they’ll get round it by releasing coloured vinyl versions (god forbid).

23. CRJ

CRJ Ski Patrol

A friend of mine got them when they came out, and had a Linn to play them on.

24. Neonbeam

tHAT'S fantastic! :righton:

imarcq likes this.
  25. imarcq

Did they send yours together? I got the first two in a box together, one in a mailer and one loose. Then Hats was mailed separately in that flimsy bag. Maybe because you ordered Hats with Rooftops they sent them together rather than Hats separately? God knows how they decide. I returned my Hats and bought another from an Amazon third party seller who I know will package safely.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.