Blue Note 80th Anniversary reissues...any news?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by riverrat, Nov 9, 2018.

Tags:
  1. shawnwes

shawnwes Forum Resident

In n Out, Inventions & Dimensions and Jutta Hipp arrived yesterday. All 3 knock it out of the park w/o any issues.

Crazysteve and scotti like this.
  2. shawnwes

shawnwes Forum Resident

That's awesome news Mazzy.

3. Warrenville33

Warrenville33 Forum Resident

On my 2nd copy of Herbie and on 2nd slice of no-fill... have a feeling this amazon batch will all have the string of pearls. May wait for a repress

4. Are you sure it’s not the Latin percussion? That’s what you hear in the right channel. It’s also on the CD

5. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Crazysteve, scotti, Dmann201 and 3 others like this.
  6. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

I agree and prefer the BN80 to my Classic Quiex 200g.

scotti likes this.
  7. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Another vote here for the BN80 mastering over the Classic on Jutta Hipp with Zoot Sims.

RiRiIII, scotti and GentleSenator like this.
  8. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

I've always thought Triangle was a sneaky contender for best Herbie Hancock composition...

Inventions & Dimensions - Herbie Hancock

"“Triangle” derives its name from the fact that it is in three parts – a 4/4 jazz section, a 12/8 section that is somewhat in the Afro-Cuban vein, and a final 4/4 jazz section. As a transition to the middle division, you can hear Herbie switch to a subdivided 12/8 rhythmic pattern toward the end of the first section. Here, too, there were no pre-set chords or a melody. “The jazz sections came out,” says Hancock, “with a 12-bar blues feeling, but didn’t realize that until after we’d recorded it.” In “Triangle,” Martinez is on conga drums."

Dmann201, timzigs, Dignan2000 and 4 others like this.
  9. Clucking

Clucking Elixir of Life

Winner for my favorite post of the day (yes it's early yet). Educational, interesting, surprising, pertinent to the conversation, and makes me excited to listen to something I haven't heard before. Can't wait till I receive my copy!

10. Warrenville33

Warrenville33 Forum Resident

no... no-fill distortion on both copies (and can be seen visually as well). I've gotten every 80th and TP pressing so far, and this was the first bad apple of the cart.

AFA and Mazzy like this.
  11. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Forum Resident

Got my replacement Inventions & Dimensions from Amazon and the same non-fill issue on side 2 again. Roughly in the same two places on both LPs, the last 2 songs on side 2.

Phone photo isn't the greatest but you get the point.

First LP
    [​IMG]

Replacement LP
    [​IMG]

Marko K, Byrdsmaniac and bluemooze like this.
  12. Crazysteve

Crazysteve Gonzo Party Member

Freddie Hubbard’s Open Sesame is kicking off my Saturday. This is a beautiful album. I find Tina Brooks’ tone grabs me, which makes me even more excited for next Friday when Tina gets his rare due with the Minor Moves release.

scotti, Admerr, Peterr and 1 other person like this.
  13. ausgraeme

ausgraeme Forum Resident

Settling in with the very same record just now. Tina has a plaintive tone that I’ve never heard from another sax player. Some of his harmony lines on this record are gorgeous.

scotti and Crazysteve like this.
  14. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

That really sucks, I'm sorry. Hopefully you get a good one eventually. It's such a great album.

Mad Dog likes this.
  15. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Forum Resident

Thanks man! I'll return this one too and wait awhile. Was really holding out for the MM 45 re-stock but it seems like that is never ever going to happen. I do like the LP.

musictoad likes this.
  16. Admerr

Admerr Forum Resident

That’s too bad. I’m currently awaiting my third copy from amazon. Im keeping the first actual record which was flawless but still looking to receive a jacket that hasn’t been destroyed.

17. Dmann201

Dmann201 Forum Resident

Listing to Introducing Johnny Griffin and this record is a freaking burner! Love everything about it from the drive of the rhythm section to the attack and agressive assuredness of Griffin's tone. What a player and what a record, I'll be saving for the other 3 records of his from MM right now!

Crazysteve, scotti and YEX 750-1 like this.
  18. Crazysteve

This Johnny Griffin album really opened my eyes when I first got it, and it’s been near the turntable ever since. Like you, I’d love to get the others at some point.

Dmann201 likes this.
  19. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

There are 4 releases for November right?

20. Crazysteve

:thumbsup:

Juggsnelson likes this.
  21. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Forum Resident

I have 2 :D

Both of mine came with the record mailer inside another box. Double boxed.

22. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

Yes, and 3 more in December means the next 7 titles are live albums.

MisterBritt and Juggsnelson like this.
  23. Crabcakez

Crabcakez Well-Known Member

Out of the 36 or so reissues are there any must haves on the list? I've picked up most of the Tone Poets but don't think I can do the same for the 80s... It would be nice to know what the essentials are.

24. spacecoyote

spacecoyote Astral Resident

In general, you can’t go wrong with anything from the late 1950’s to early 1960’s. Start chipping away at any of those titles and work your way out from there.

25. sunspot

sunspot Forum Resident

I've been away recently so maybe late catching up but I got the 3 latests BN 80's and it was nice to see the new inner sleeves.....I haven't played them yet though, but they look good.