Blue Note 80th Anniversary reissues...any news?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by riverrat, Nov 9, 2018.

Tags:
  1. williams

williams Well-Known Member

really smokin record but out of all the 80th anniversary releases this vinyl picks up a lot of static, do you have this issue?

2. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

From Basra to....

[​IMG]

Takin' a trip and never leaving the farm.;)

ultron9, mktracy, musictoad and 9 others like this.
  3. Fender Relic

Yes,somewhat. I just took my copy into the sower with me and shampooed and conditioned it. The labels look all weird now but the static is tamed down....just like my hair.

[​IMG]

mktracy, Stu02, Noonie and 4 others like this.
  4. This one I ordered last week. I haven't seen it yet. I can't wait to listen to it. I love Grant Green!

5. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

To which record are you referring?

6. Why did he wear such an ostentatious wig at his court hearing? I guess he wanted the insanity plea...but then again, that doesn't make any sense either because folks who are not guilty by reason of insanity wind up spending more time incarcerated than those who aren't found that way (at least in California).

7. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Well thanks to the suggestion from @Fender Relic I had to go listen to "Basra side 2" then off to side 2 of Jutta Hipp, just dig the heck out of that Reid Miles cover by the way! Then had to check out some "Blue Mode" and go on a "Bus Ride" while I "Peeled back some Oranges" before I went off on a "Maiden Voyage" (SRX style) with Mr. Hancock and friends...ok, I'm a bit crazy, but I'll be "Doin' Alright with some Dex in the morning...

ultron9, mktracy, Xulio and 5 others like this.
  8. I love your style. That's the way jazz is, baby. It hooks you until you can't get enough of it. These Blue Note 80 releases are just as terrific as the Beatles Mono reissues from a couple of years back. Lots of love went into them. I wish that I could to scoop up all of them. I settled for nine of them. The Herbie Hancock Inventions and Dimensions was a real winner. I'd had this as a burned cd for a couple of decades. Like anything that's burned, it may fall by the wayside. I listened to this album again on yt. I loved the song "Mimosa". It fills the ears and the head with goodness. The Basra lp is particular. It's great of course. It takes a certain mind frame to soak it all in. I only first heard of LaRoca from his involvement with Sonny Rollins on his 1961 live album that also featured Lou Donaldson.

9. Kimiimacman

Kimiimacman Forum Resident

By far my favourite BN80 release. Joe at his absolute best IMO. Every track just speaks to me, full of emotion and wonder arrangements. Although not the leader here, to be honest I just can’t get enough Henderson of late; he has to be my all time favourite tenor, just love his tone and the range of colours he manages to get from his instrument whilst keeping me transfixed with his incredible feel. I’d love to bag an MMJ45 of this title; fat chance though I guess.
    I’ve both Inner Urge and Mode For Joe MMJ45s waiting time be played but am saving them whilst I get to know others recently bought; I figured that if new titles start to dry up due to the fire then I’d drip-feed 6 MMJ 45s to keep me going.

SJR, PATB, trumpetplayer and 4 others like this.
  10. ryu

ryu Forum Resident

Who's that?

11. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Joe Henderson is The Man!!! One of my absolute favs! My SRX of Inner Urge is one of the best ones and an absolute killer record! Sadly, I missed out on the MMJ 45 of Mode For Joe, maybe a future SRX title, when things get better for everyone.

ultron9, Kimiimacman and Fender Relic like this.
  12. Rob Zarzecki

Rob Zarzecki Forum Resident

Phil Spector

13. ryu

ryu Forum Resident

Oh! Thanks.

14. Fender Relic

I'm continually amazed at how many albums I like that Joe Henderson is on. The other day I was playing Freddie Roach-Brown Sugar and I was trying to guess without looking who the sax player was. I failed but I knew I liked it whoever it was. Once I looked at the cover I did a
    :doh:....should have known.

I'm bummed that I missed on SRX Inner Urge. I had that and Sonny Vol.1 in my cart for a long time trying to figure out what to add for free shipping. Once I decided it was too late.:( I also don't have Page One which I'd like to have. At least I have a mint DMM Mode For Joe that I got cheap,under $3. I listened to it last Saturday and thought...even though it's clean and sounds OK...it's just a place holder til I can find a used MMJ or maybe another analogue RI I can afford like a Liberty or UA blue.

ryu and scotti like this.
  15. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Never heard "Brown Sugar"...do you have an original LP or a CD of that. And would you recommend it for someone not that familiar with his music? The only one I have heard/have by him, and it's been sometime is Mo' Greens Please, just dig me some of that "Googa Mooga", just a fun song! Might have to pull that one out for a spin sometime soon. Just have the CD, unfortunately, but still sounds good.

edit - anyone else think that Phil Spector pic, looks like the bride of Frankenstein? Just saying...

16. Joe's live album in Japan is a great one. Mode for Joe is great.

Kimiimacman and scotti like this.
  17. ryu

ryu Forum Resident

Live in Japan is a killer album. I think it's the one that got me hooked on Joe Henderson.

18. Fender Relic

I have been hunting down an OG Brown Sugar mono for a long time but price/condition always seems out of whack.

Here's how I got my current playing copy. One day I was in a Half-Price Books on a sale day and they had a sealed copy of an Elemental BS reissue. IIRC,.. $12 with the discount so I grabbed it just for the great cover and if the record happened to sound good...bonus! It's not bad! I'm sure a BN 80 or TP would clean it's clock but once again...a placeholder that I can enjoy. I was not previously familiar with the album but I knew Freddie Roach's sound/style. It's soulful and funky but some people think it's a bit too laid back as there are some late night chill vibes on a few songs. I dig it for it's simplicity and restrained vibe and of course Joe Henderson:cool:

blutiga likes this.
  19. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

All of a sudden I have become in the mood for some "In 'n Out" later this afternoon, and I'm not talking burgers, you fine folks from California.

Dorham, Tyner, Davis, and Jones...damn! now that's one heck of lineup! Wow, were there ever some incredible Jazz records released in 1964!

State of The Tenor Volume 2 Tone Poet style sounds like a nice side item to go with it I say...

20. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Need to correct myself here, was recorded in 1964, but released January 1965...just pulled my copy out and noticed the release year.

21. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

Did Phil Spector do that one too? :)

22. Rob Zarzecki

Rob Zarzecki Forum Resident

Only the mono version :p

DeRosa and Fender Relic like this.
  23. Kimiimacman

Kimiimacman Forum Resident

I’ve listened to both Inner Urge and Mode for Joe via streaming on my phone with IEM and what struck me was the awesome SQ of the later, if this translates into the vinyl copies this promises to be one of the best sounding BN albums with the depth of bass I’m more used to from Columbia eg Miles Mofi especially Sorcerer or Nefertiti. Anyway, I’m trying to be self disciplined enough to wait until May:cheers:

timzigs likes this.
  24. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Zat Phil Specter?

Fender Relic likes this.
  25. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

Don’t be. The 45 is still available and is better sonically, IMHO..and you’ll get more exercise :D