Blue Note 80th Anniversary reissues...any news?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by riverrat, Nov 9, 2018.

Tags:
  1. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Can second this. Owned both, preferred the 45.

timzigs, scotti and Fender Relic like this.
  2. Kimiimacman

Kimiimacman Forum Resident

Interesting. You guys seem to gush so much about SRX, (my copy of Free For All trapped in the US) and 2 of you prefer the older mastering and 45 of this title. I’m intrigued as to what you guys prefer about the 45. I have a bunch of both speeds but no double dips to make any comparison.
    Reading various threads it seems to me that the preference depends on particular titles rather than being universal. I do note that London Jazz Collector has a strong preference for the 33s as does he who must not be named; RH.

gr8trak and scotti like this.
  3. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

I could certainly see how the MMJ 45 of Inner Urge might sound better and absolutely believe in what those are saying. Those 45's that I am fortunate to own are about as good as can be and the more I spin them, the more I just go holy crap! Just last night I pulled out Up At Minton's Vol 2 and for a live record, it was almost like the band was right there in the room with me, and I am not the biggest fan of listening to live music at home, unless it sounds like this.

Back to the SRX of Inner Urge, make no mistake that this is no slouch and was worth every penny I paid for it, plus I am still a big lover of 33's. I can't compare my SRX of Free For All, but that would be almost unbelievable if the 45 trumps that, maybe some just like the way the 45 opens up more, where I want the pure intensity of this music pinning me up against the wall so to speak. I forgot who gave me feedback on "True Blue" before I bought it, but it was pretty much described as being a shootout, with saying if you like the music with a bit more bite, get the 33, if you want it to open up a tad more, go with the 45, but you can't go wrong with either one.

Back to topic, anyone have the three new BN 80th's coming this week? I will be getting the remainder 6, but right now with everything going on, I'm having a bit of a problem buying new records right now, especially with what I'm fortunate to have already. Now with that said if it's a new SRX (which I'm sure are now delayed for now) or Money Jungle, I want to just chill for now. If anyone is getting Fickle, Swingin', or The Rumproller, would still like to hear what you think.

@Kimiimacman are you by chance a dog lover? Asked because of your avatar...

Kimiimacman and Crazysteve like this.
  4. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

I pre-ordered A Fickle Sonance from Amazon.ca but it seems the other 2 aren’t available... the May titles are on pre-order so who knows what’s going on there.

Very excited to have a new Jackie McLean/Sonny Clark title on the shelf.

scotti likes this.
  5. Crazysteve

Crazysteve Gonzo Party Member

I have Fickle and Swingin preordered with AS, we’ll see when they arrive. I absolutely love the abundance of Sonny Clark lately and coming up.

neubian and scotti like this.
  6. Kimiimacman

Kimiimacman Forum Resident

Hi @scotti, yes indeed. That’s our miniature Labradoodle when she was younger; and very wet! Our first ever dog. I take it that you are too?

Rob Zarzecki and scotti like this.
  7. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Oh yes, by the way awesome looking best friend! We have a Chocolate Lab named Rango, who will be 4 years old on 4/20. He is my best buddy and loves music. Digs Jazz, but his favorite are The Stones, gets ready to Rock and play as soon as he hears a guitar riff from Keith Richards, and I am dead serious about that. Raised him since he was 6 and 1/2 weeks old. Laying by my side as I type, I think he's trying to tell me its time to go downstairs and jam some tunes.

Got Hub Tones pulled out, and then might have to listen to side 2 of Una Mas, as I made it through side 1 last night, really like that record!

8. Newscot

Newscot Forum Resident

Just played my third copy of Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers ‘Meet You At The Jazz Corner Of The World Vol 1’. All three (2 x Amazon and 1 x BN store) have been plagued with non-fill on side 2 to the point of being unlistenable. Anybody else had a similar issue with this release?

9. keylime_5

keylime_5 Forum Resident

Is it non-fill or just the distorted piano recording you're hearing? Even on the digital versions of that album (spotify, apple music, tidal, etc) the piano is distorted.

Gabe Walters and PATB like this.
  10. Sneezyachew

Sneezyachew Forum Resident

It took me 4 tries to get a playable copy of ‘Buhaina’s Delight’.

GentleSenator likes this.
  11. Newscot

Newscot Forum Resident

Non-fill ... you can see it visibly (stitching effect) ...

12. Don P.

Don P. Forum Resident

I just noticed that the May 8 releases have been pushed back to June 19.

paulmock likes this.
  13. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Inevitable. Non-essential workers. Will most likely be pushed back even further.

Don P. and recstar24 like this.
  14. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Senior Member

Well, I'd say that RH is clear enough about his sonic preferences that we usually can be pretty sure that the very aspects he likes more about the 33s are the things some of us like less--that more upper midrange forward approach that the 33s usually (not necessarily always) have in comparison to the equivalent 45s. Which one you prefer will likely be taste and system dependent. I personally tend to find the EQ balance on the earlier MM 45s and the AP 45s to hit the sweet spot most of the time, but those who prefer brighter presentations will prefer the 33s.

I recently made an exception for Idle Moments, though, and bought the SRX instead of the AP. This is because I remember finding the AP SACD of that title to sound somewhat underwhelming in comparison to others from the same series. Though my CD player is warmer (tonally) than my vinyl set-up, and therefore the same mastering would probably sound better to me on vinyl, I recall reading from some others who normally prefer the 45s that they thought the MM 33 was an improvement for this title specifically. I just had a feeling this might be a title that would benefit more than most from the kind of tonal coloration I associate with the 33s. I certainly found it to be an enjoyable listen, but I can't deny that I'm still kind of curious to hear the AP version as well.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
    MisterBritt, scotti and timzigs like this.
  15. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Just got my Target delivery of Fickle Sonance, Swingin' Affair and Rump Roller! Gonna be a nice weekend. :pineapple:

mktracy, SJR, mackeyse and 6 others like this.
  16. CraigC

CraigC Live It Up

scotti and Rob Zarzecki like this.
  17. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Looking forward to your thoughts...Enjoy!!! My focus is on MMJ right now (until the next Tone Poet's), but these might come sooner than later based on your feedback. Three great ones that are a must have, awesome for you to get today, bet you have one nice smile on your face. I finally caved in an went after the MMJ 45 of Thad Jones "The Magnificent" and it arrived today as well, so looking forward to that classic, as all I had was the CD of (this magnificent) record.

Now you have the fun of deciding which of the three to listen to first...

musictoad and paulmock like this.
  18. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Gonna be "close my eyes and pick one"!!!!

scotti likes this.
  19. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Enjoy the new releases!

Amazon.ca has my orders in stock but won't ship music at the moment.

20. Crazysteve

That Thad Jones is in my top ten! Great pickup Scotty.

scotti likes this.
  21. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

I had a few LPs arrive with my Subscribe and Save items last week... maybe place an order for a household item and see if they ship your records with it?

22. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

I did order a household item recently but no LPs hidden in the box. Probably depends on what warehouse things are sitting in. Oh well, I have lots of other stuff to listen to for now:)

scotti likes this.
  23. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

I got a notice, my 3 have shipped for a Monday delivery. Jutta,Grant -Alive,Herbie-Takin' Off

scotti likes this.
  24. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

UMe has extended their 30% off sale. Just pre-ordered the final three BN80's. Couldn't resist.

25. Crazysteve

Good luck