Blue Note 80th Anniversary reissues...any news?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by riverrat, Nov 9, 2018.

Tags:
  1. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Forum Resident

I remember that even when that was released, people were posting that it was not sonically up to the better MMJ releases at the time. And have you noticed that unlike the other three early Wayne Blue Notes, it hasn't been re-done? There's likely a reason for that. This suggests that a comparison to a random later title may not be valid--the only truly valid comparisons are the ones where the same title has been released on both formats, because RVGs results are so variable from title to title.

Kimiimacman and Lucca90 like this.
  2. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Received "A Fickle Sonance" this week.

Another winner - sounds great, and no problems with my pressing.

Love that they have gone back to the poly-lined sleeves as well. It's nice not to fight with those paper sleeves and the static.

ausgraeme, mktracy, conjotter and 3 others like this.
  3. wellers73

wellers73 Forum Resident

I just had a chance to compare the first track from each. They’re both very good, and you’ll be happy with the 80th if that’s that’s what you can afford. The AP has more high end detail, while simultaneously having less extended treble than the 80th. The 80th has a bit of the slightly over-extended crispness in the cymbals that I often hear in the MMs (not a criticism - just something I notice.) The AP’s treble is probably more realistic. Bass and mids are very similar, with maybe a touch leaner bass in the 80th. Overall, I hear a meatier sound from the AP. Not sure what’s causing that - maybe more mid range information? I also think I hear a wider stereo spread in the AP.

MisterBritt, timzigs, mktracy and 4 others like this.
  4. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Dont forget that a SH/KG master may sound different than a KG master. Neither may be necessarily better, they can just be a little different.

UchidaT, mktracy, Kimiimacman and 2 others like this.
  5. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Hoffman has a certain preference for sound, as does Gray. I personally prefer Hoffman's take on things, between the two of them.

UchidaT, mktracy, Elofan and 4 others like this.
  6. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Glad I saw your post as I had been holding off on any of these recent BN 80th's for obvious reasons on my part for now, but am on such a Jackie McLean kick that I just ordered this from my local store and it will be in later this week. Looking forward to it especially after your comments.

brimuchmuze and mktracy like this.
  7. Kimiimacman

Kimiimacman Forum Resident

Yeah, funnily enough I thought the same when I compared the Qobuz stream to the MMJ; the HD stream SUCKS big time!

When I made that comment I’d only played it at a lowish volume but having now cranked it, it’s much more engaging, definitely not a late night listen compared to others as the micro dynamics just ain’t there but cracked it’s a bit raucous but powerfully emotional, Wayne is such a great writer/composer. It’s a keeper for sure. Clearly RVG add a bit of an off day so there’s nothing KG&SH could do I guess.

UchidaT and NorthNY Mark like this.
  8. Kimiimacman

AND the next four TPs!!!

All seven pre-ordered, the only one not a stone-gold winner is perhaps the Turrentine though I’ve not heard it much but otherwise what a haul, cannot wait, especially the Dorham, Henderson on fire yet again.

mktracy and scotti like this.
  9. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Was just thinking about the next round of Tone Poet's. I don't want to say much right now about it, but Stanley Turrentine's "That's Where It's At" is an incredible record and wait until you hear the job they did on this one. Highly Recommended!

Chris Bernhardt and mktracy like this.
  10. Kimiimacman

You’re getting TPs if TPs then?:tiphat:

11. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

I'm fortunate to get an advance on a selected title here in there, but I do buy each and every record when they are released.

Next week I want to order either The Rumproller or A Swingin' Affair, anyone have some advice on either one of these? I have heard them both. I'm leaning much more towards the Dexter Gordon, just love that song "You Stepped Out Of A Dream" and as for as the Lee Morgan is concerned, The Sidewinder it is not, but would still like to have it in my collection at some time.

Kimiimacman likes this.
  12. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I listened to both a bunch before ordering. I decided to pass on rumproller. Heresy but I’m not even a big Sidewinder fan. I went with Swingin Affair, I love his version of Dont Explain a lot too.

I’m getting to a point though where I think I probably have enough Dexter. I love him but I’ve got MMs of Go, Gettin Around and Man in Paris, the excellent TP of Clubhouse, the BN80 of Doin Alright. Love em all and almost passed on Swingin but at that price, ah what the hell.

as my tastes are moving more out, all this Dexter can blur together as more hard bop dates, but he’s like Sonny Rollins to me, so much joy and fun in the upbeat stuff, and a great feel on the ballads, that I can just pick one at random and enjoy it a lot. The one exception is Gettin Around, with Bobby Hutcherson, those vibes plus the French and Latin feel give it a different mood than the others.

Stu02, Kimiimacman, mktracy and 4 others like this.
  13. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

While I dig some Dexter BN albums, I've come to like his later live material even more, where he's in a quartet setting with Kenny Drew, NHOP & Tootie Heath. They stretch songs way out and find some really nice grooves.

Stu02, mktracy, Gabe Walters and 2 others like this.
  14. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Have to love my local store. I ordered "A Fickle Sonance" Tuesday and already got it...looking forward to a nice listen later on.

mktracy and mcrichley like this.
  15. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

You are not alone here. I find it formulaic , less so on Sidewinder but Ive never understood the appeal of Rumproller. I realise I am the losing out here and if someone can suggest a way for me to get past this Id happily give it another shot as I am a big fan of Morgan

mktracy and guidedbyvoices like this.
  16. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Per my just posted comment Id say Sidewinder over the Rump but Id take Dex waay before either of those.

17. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

Agreed on the Dex. If you can get through Soy Califa, the rest is such a smooth sail :)

Stu02 likes this.
  18. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Recorded within a week of each other, Freddie Hubbard’s Blue Note debut and Tina Brooks’ only Blue Note performance as leader to be released in his lifetime — it’s always great hearing these two play together and both albums complement one another well. I enjoy playing these back-to-back . . .

[​IMG]
    1960/2019 Blue Note ‎– BST 84040
    Blue Note 80 Vinyl Reissue Series – KPG@CA

[​IMG]
    1960/2008 Music Matters Ltd. ‎– MMBST 84041, Blue Note ‎– BST 84041
    Blue Note The Definitive 45 RPM Reissue Series – KPG&SH@ATM

19. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

Always thought it was funny
    That Andrew Hill wrote “the rumproller”. I imagine him ghost writing soul jazz party hits for everyone at blue note while his avant dates sit on Alfred Lion’s shelf!

;)

but Smokestack is coming out so all is well...

rxcory, NorthNY Mark, mktracy and 8 others like this.
  20. guidedbyvoices

He did?! Wow I never would have guessed.
    I love Judgment, Point of Departure and Black Fire, POD clicking for me a few months ago finally, but I’m having a really tough time with Smokestack. I may pass on that as well. The dueling basses, drums and piano is tough for me to hook into.

Mugrug12 likes this.
  21. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

You should try his album Grass Roots. Heavy on the soul grooves.

timzigs, Dignan2000, Mugrug12 and 4 others like this.
  22. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

I have to somewhat disagree here. I just recently played my 45 of JuJu and where I do agree it's not one of the better sounding MMJ 45's, I still think it is a worth while listen and worth having, it's not what I would call bad per say. Have not listened to my Mode For Joe MMJ 45 yet, (recently got it as a gift) but am really looking forward to it.

"A Fickle Sonance" got it this past Thursday and have only listened to it once, but as others have mentioned, another winner. So glad I got it and it indeed sounds great sonic wise and the music itself is cool as can be!

mktracy and Dignan2000 like this.
  23. guidedbyvoices

Wow that’s a hell of a gift!

scotti and Dignan2000 like this.
  24. Jason Simmons

Jason Simmons Well-Known Member

Has anyone received their Blue Note store order, if you took advantage of the sale? It's been 10 days and still no update as to when my order will ship.

25. I ordered 5 LPS during the 30% off sale three or four months ago. Depending on your shipping choice and check out, they wait until all items are ready to go. Originally all mine were to be shipped last week but the last two LPS have been delayed so it will be awhile for me. I have so much music to listen to, I'll be happily surprised once they do arrive...Whenever that is....