Blue Note 80th Anniversary reissues...any news?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by riverrat, Nov 9, 2018.

Tags:
  1. bmusic

bmusic Forum Resident

Anybody know what titles we have to look forward to in the Blue Note 80 series? I apologize if this was posted earlier, but I'm new to this thread and didn't see it when I did a search...

2. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

Nothing announced, as far as we know the 80th series is over.

The only statement from Blue Note is for the 2020 Tone Poet titles they announced before Covid-19 caused that series to be delayed.

http://www.bluenote.com/tone-poet-vinyl-series-2020/

bmusic likes this.
  3. Marko K

Marko K Forum Resident

Blue Note 80 series is over. Personally Im fairly sure they are planning to release additional records besides Tone Poets, because with the whole catalogue of Blue Note and the vinyl resurgence going on, releasing only 2 records a month just do not make any sense. And they are definitely not going to wait until the 85th anniversary - Don Was is probably retired from Blue Note at that point anyway. If they really plan to make additional re-issues, they will probably make plans this year and start releasing them feb 2021 when the record manufacturers are back in business again.

Greenmonster2420 and bmusic like this.
  4. Biff Jones

Biff Jones Forum Resident

Has anyone compared the MMJ edition of Larry Young’s Into Somethin’ to the BN80 release? I’m curious to know how 80th Anniversary titles stack up to other reissues and find the comments on this thread invaluable in doing so. Thanks to all!

Fender Relic likes this.
  5. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

I haven't, but I can guarantee you the MM 45 pressing will be recommended over it. As an overall package (sound, jacket, art) the MM are just better. But for less than half the price (maybe even less than that), the BN80 sounded really good when I gave it a spin the other day.

Sorry, I know this doesn't answer your question or help you in any way! :laugh:

scotti, Biff Jones and trd like this.
  6. jewelsnbinoculars

jewelsnbinoculars Forum Resident

Apologies if this has been covered, but can anyone explain why some of these have a made in Germany sticker and some don’t? Is there any difference noted in quality of these?

7. jewelsnbinoculars

jewelsnbinoculars Forum Resident

cant say, but of the 80s and TPs I’ve got, it’s one of the best sounding imo

scotti, Biff Jones and IanL like this.
  8. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

No. Every BN80 was pressed in Germany at the same pressing plant.the absence of the sticker, I can't explain.

9. Dai

Dai Note to self: listen to Clifford Brown more often

I think the question is purely about the sound. I'm also interested.

Biff Jones and SJR like this.
  10. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Yeah, it was kind of a tongue-in-cheek response. The BN80 sounds really good though.

Dai and Biff Jones like this.
  11. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I'm telling ya, it's an amazing record, both musically and sonically. Streaming it does it little justice.

The cover photo? Well, you can't tell a book by its cover, but this cover sure ain't classic Blue Note.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
  12. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

I did get my copy of this when I got Blacks and Blues. Nice pressing and really good sound. Now I can hear why I never heard this one before. I like the record but a it's a bit fluffy at times.

Dig the heck out of Trippin' and the title track, but Bella Donna sounds like it could have been used as the theme song for the 60's TV show "The Dating Game".

Grant Green is rather tame on it, but still very tasty. Very glad I got it, but at times it could of used a bit more bite/punch.

edit - I do need to spend a bit more time with it as it is a fun one to listen to.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
    Fender Relic likes this.
  13. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

I’m in the mood for some Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers today — spinning a trio of my favourites; all classics, every one a masterpiece.
    The BN80 Indestructible is one of my absolute favourites from the series . . .

[​IMG]
    1959/2014 Music Matters Ltd. ‎– MMBST-84003, Blue Note ‎– ST-84003
    Blue Note The Definitive Vinyl Reissue Series – KPG&RR@CA

[​IMG]
    1965/2019 (SRX) Music Matters Ltd. ‎– MMBST-84170, Blue Note ‎– ST-84170
    Blue Note The Definitive Vinyl Reissue Series – KPG&RR@CA

[​IMG]
    1966/2019 Blue Note ‎– ST-84193
    Blue Note 80 Vinyl Reissue Series – KPG@CA

mktracy, blutiga, trd and 1 other person like this.
  14. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

I’m showing a Friday release date for Smoke Stack and Trompeta Toccata from amazon.ca

DeRosa likes this.
  15. 99khan

99khan Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Finally...received these recently from the March BN 30% sale (4 Tone Poets, 3 BN80, and the Kandace Springs). Except for "The Prisoner" and "Money Jungle", I have never owned a copy of any of these recordings in any format. Am looking forward to spinning and enjoying these (although it may take a bit of time before I get to them due to more pressing issues I am attending to). I am expecting another package next week that will contain 2 MMJ (Shorter's JUJU, and Idle Moments SRX), 2 BN80 (Blakey, and Basra), and 3 AP45 rpm (Silver, McLean, and Redd).

(Way) Too Many Records...So Little Time!!! :yikes:

Garson, Twinsfan007, mktracy and 11 others like this.
  16. Don P.

Don P. Forum Resident

Usually I won’t give a like for the same post in different threads, however I haven’t got a choice here. :edthumbs:

gr8trak and 99khan like this.
  17. 99khan

99khan Forum Resident

I debated long and hard before doing the repeat post believe me. I don't think I have ever done "simultaneous" posts before. BUT because the BNTPs and the BN80 albums dominate my haul, I thought what the heck. Thanks!!!

Don P. likes this.
  18. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

:whistle: :D

Stu02, Don P., Crazysteve and 2 others like this.
  19. 99khan

99khan Forum Resident

Correction: The AP45 that I will be getting next week does not include Freddie Redd's "Shades of Redd". My bad. This title will be part of (yet) another MMJ package I will be receiving separately at another time. The AP45 I will be getting is Duke Jordan's "Flight to Jordan" purchased during their $25 off (half price) sale last February.

[​IMG]

Twinsfan007, gr8trak, Don P. and 6 others like this.
  20. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

These are all great selections, the only one I don't have is the Kandace Springs. I specially like The Cooker. I think its one of Van Gelder's best recordings. I love the way the drums are set up in the room and you can actually hear their position in the back corner relative to the other players in the soundstage. The quality of the music on all of these is outstanding.

Kimiimacman and 99khan like this.
  21. beyondmiles

beyondmiles Forum Resident

Alright, similar to a post I just made in the Tone Poet thread, trying to pick up any last titles I haven’t yet. I’m pretty new to most of Blue Note so haven’t heard many until very recently.

Currently have:
    • Smoke Stack
    • Buhaina’s Delight
    • Indestructible
    • Open Sesame
    • Hub-Tones
    • Grant’s First Stand
    • Alive!
    • Takin’ Off
    • Inventions & Dimensions
    • Groovin’ at Smalls’ Paradise
    • In N’ Out
    • Una Mas
    • Trompeta Toccata
    • Into Somethin’
    • Basra
    Pretty set on grabbing these:
    • Ethiopian Knights
    • Jutta Hipp w/Zoot Sims
    • The Rumproller
    What would you say is essential of anything remaining that I haven’t listed? I’ve sampled it all and most I could see myself listening but nothing upon a couple first listens I was totally sold on.

Fender Relic likes this.
  22. Don P.

Don P. Forum Resident

I rather like A Fickle Sonance, A Swingin Affair and Think quite a bit.

Rob Zarzecki likes this.
  23. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

Nice list. I have Jutta w/Zoot spinning right nowsa. One of life's pleasures.

24. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

I'd definitely recommend A Swingin' Affair, Ethiopian Knights, Hand Jive and Alligator Bogaloo.

Morbius and Crazysteve like this.
  25. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

Foreign Intrigue by Tony Williams is a sleeper. I had little interest in this title when it came out. Ended up streaming the whole album and liked it. Picked it up as part of the Target buy two get one deal and I’m glad I did. Sure it’s 80s jazz, but it’s great 80s jazz. SQ is great too.

danasgoodstuff and Morbius like this.