Blue Note 80th Anniversary reissues...any news?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by riverrat, Nov 9, 2018.

Tags:
  1. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

They're probably replacement copies from VMP with some minor defect.

Vic Trola, Robotlove and mikemoon like this.
  2. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

My guess is they have may be defects and VMP sent them replacements. I read something like that in the comments.

Robotlove likes this.
  3. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Yeah, I'm sure. I had several copies from my Herbie Hancock box with warps that VMP replaced. Even one with a scratch. I'm not one of the ebayers, but I might bung them up in the classifieds here for cheap if anyone's interested.

4. You have to be really careful buying VMP records on the secondary market. With their policy of just replacing with another complete set and not asking for a return, I get the feeling quite a few are abusing this and selling of their defective copies on discogs and the like.

MisterBritt likes this.
  5. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

I purchased the Coleman Hawkins record on eBay and it was fine. Even came with both the correct and incorrect cover.

6. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

Could be that it's not that popular, or it could just as easily be that Blue Mode people aren't the kind who do Discogs collections... but thanks for the data.

7. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

Listening to In n Out after only getting it a few weeks ago and it's really really good both musically and sound wise. These early to mid 60s RVGs really hit the sweet spot for me (on RVG recordings).

ausgraeme, Dmann201, IanL and 5 others like this.
  8. norliss

norliss Forum Resident

I had some gift voucher credit left over at an online store that shares its name with that of a big river in South America, so I pulled the trigger on Lonnie Smith - Think! earlier on. Due to arrive tomorrow, so with that and the two Tone Poet records waiting for me at my local record shop, I'll have 3 Blue Notes to play over the weekend :)

trd likes this.
  9. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

Superb album, great choice. Sounds killer too.

trd and norliss like this.
  10. norliss

norliss Forum Resident

I've listened to it a couple of times via Tidal. On first listen, I loved the first two tracks (ie. side A) but wasn't quite as keen on side B for the cover of Think! and Three Blind Mice, but having given it another listen those tracks have grown on me so now I think the whole thing is good.

And yeah, I could tell it was a well recorded and produced album just from how good the Tidal stream sounded so I'm sure the record itself is going to be a belter. Just hope I get a good one and not a ropey pressing!

11. norliss

norliss Forum Resident

Well it's arrived today which is cool given I also picked up my first couple of Tone Poets releases too: a Blue Note Weekend!

It's certainly a lot more low-key than the TP releases and was surprised there wasn't even a hype sticker but then these 'standard' releases are a good deal cheaper than the Tone Poets so it's not unsurprising.

Greenalishi likes this.
  12. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Sorry, which title??

13. norliss

norliss Forum Resident

Sorry, it's Lonnie Smith's - Think!

AnalogJ likes this.
  14. norliss

norliss Forum Resident

Happy to report that this record is flat and blemish free. Just gave it a vacuum liquid clean and it played without a single pop, tick or click. And the record sounds superb too. So that's a 100% strike rate for me with BN80 titles :laugh:

Just hope I'm not jinxing my Tone Poets up next :eek:

Greenalishi likes this.
  15. norliss

norliss Forum Resident

Thinking I may opt for Herbie Hancock's first "Taking Off" next from this series. I'm assuming there are bound to be people here that own this one?

16. Ivand

Ivand Forum Resident

I own it and it’s a fantastic release IMO.

norliss likes this.
  17. norliss

norliss Forum Resident

Good news. I'll ask my local record shop if they can get it in for me. If there's no stock at the supplier then it seems to be available in a few online stores so hopefully I should be able to get it without too many problems.

Ivand likes this.
  18. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

Possibly the worst offender of the wow / flutter BN80 and Tone Poet series. I’d stay far away…

Vic Trola and chris8519 like this.
  19. norliss

norliss Forum Resident

Interesting. I've not heard about that. On Discogs for almost any of these releases there's someone complaining about warps and/or non-fill etc but not seen anyone mention wow/flutter as yet. Which other titles have been affected by this?

20. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

21. chris8519

chris8519 Forum Resident

It’s been a hell of a journey. There are two camps on this forum. Those who can hear it and are bothered by it. And those that cannot or are simply not bothered. This is not a warp or off centered issue.

I own this pressing if Taking Off and yes it’s noticeable due to Herbie’s long sustinato notes. But still sounds so good, it’s worth it for the price!

Vic Trola likes this.
  22. norliss

norliss Forum Resident

23. LPhound15

LPhound15 Forum Resident

I have it, it sounds great. There is some slight pitch flutter on the last 2 tracks, I think, but it's minor. (To me, I am not bothered by it). Given the return policy Amazon has, I would order a copy and see if it's something you can tolerate.

It's the best sounding/cheapest copy you'll find before you start laying out Benjamin franklins as well

Fender Relic and j4yheindeo like this.
  24. norliss

norliss Forum Resident

I've only ever listened to this (and everything else from Herbie) digitally so I dare say I'd notice if I was comparing side-by-side although now I know about it, I dare I'd hear it for sure!

That said, this is a 'standard' release and not too expensive (about £20-22GBP here) so I'm tempted to take a punt. Were it a Tone Poet release at £33GBP I'd be a bit more hesitant!

25. norliss

norliss Forum Resident

Not exactly "News Flash" territory but many of the titles in this series are thin on the ground as per the Classic and Tone Poet. I have thus far drawn a blank on Art Blakey's Indestructible!