Blue Note 80th Anniversary reissues...any news?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by riverrat, Nov 9, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Francisx

Francisx Forum Resident

Blue Note should always be on vinyl....

2. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Could they be Scorpio pressings? Someone should know.

If so, avoid.

3. sunspot

sunspot Forum Resident

No gold stickers, which I usually associate with Scorpio althought I could be wrong. Zero info on any of the sleeves. It's the price range that makes me think they are possibly public domain.

4. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

Sounds like VMP.

Their forum has had some speculation what titles may be coming,
    but it isn't being confirmed until the end of March, i think.

5. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

There are a couple different places discussions about the 80th series are taking place,
    i'll just copy the post here from Instagram that mentioned mastering.

Take this for what it says... which doesn't specifically mention who cut the lacquers,
    just that Kevin mastered it "directly". You could take that to mean he created new
    digital files from the original tapes he had available, mastered them in his studio,
    and then sent files to Optimal for them to cut the lacquers, and then do the pressing...

or that Kevin cut the lacquers himself and those discs were sent to Germany
    where they plated and pressed them on vinyl:

Eventually we'll see whose initials are in the dead wax.

Blue Note Records on Instagram: “Presenting the Blue Note 80 Vinyl Reissue Series! Distinct from the Tone Poet Audiophile Vinyl Reissue Series, this 2nd series features…”

bluenoterecords:
    whenever an analog source is available we used the analog master (i.e.
    Herbie Hancock “Takin’ Off” & Dexter Gordon “Doin’ Allright” in this
    1st batch) but some newer titles are from a digital master (i.e.
    Robert Glasper “Canvas”). Vinyl for this series is being pressed at
    Optimal in Germany.

bluenoterecords:
    Kevin Gray masters direct from analog master tapes whenever an analog
    source is available.

With regard to that last sentence, i think he meant "cuts lacquer" and not "masters"
    but we'll see. I don't even really know if Kevin Gray usually masters for vinyl
    without cutting the lacquer himself. If he has a tape, and cuts the lacquer, it's AAA.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
    SoundDoctor and p.analogowy like this.
  6. struttincool

struttincool Senior Member

Just pre-ordered the Glasper and Gordon titles from Amazon.com

7. Shpongle

Shpongle Forum Resident

When albums are reissued and they use the original master tapes as the source, they normally sing it from the roooftops.

dastinger likes this.
  8. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

I copied your post from the music matters thread to here, because people on that thread seem tired of reading about it.

My point was simple - the argument was being made that the 80th series isn't "cut" analog because the Tone Poet series is, and was marketed as such.
    I don't think that necessarily follows from logic. It's possible they both can be.

9. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

If anyone finds out that these 80th Anniversary albums are going to be cut from an analogue source (i.e. AAA) please let me know, as that would be really cool. I haven't read anything that states definitively that the 80th Anniversary series will be AAA. I would be really pleased if it were.

SoundDoctor likes this.
  10. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

Will do.

My previous point with regard to Tone Poet vs 80th series was that both series were re-mastered by Kevin Gray,
    and yet this was mentioned only in the promo materials for the Tone Poet series. So obviously, the absence/lack of
    technical details being written in the 80th promo doesn't mean much, other than it wasn't included in the materials.
    Same with regard to pressing plant info.

11. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

What am I missing? Blue Note is saying that whenever possible the albums will or have been cut from analog sources. Why can’t their word be taken as is.

12. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

Where did they say this in connection with the 80th Anniversary reissues? Again, I hope it's the case, I just haven't seen it. If you have a source, please let me know.

13. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

Technically, they said "mastered from analog" not "cut from analog" so the door is open to how the lacquers were cut.

Lucca90 likes this.
  14. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Someone contacted them today on Facebook or Instagram and asked. It was posted here.

15. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

the specific thing they said is this:

bluenoterecords:
    Kevin Gray masters direct from analog master tapes whenever an analog
    source is available.

SoundDoctor and Gabe Walters like this.
  16. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Okay, got it.

DeRosa likes this.
  17. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

it's actually pretty funny if you read through the social media feed by Blue Note on FaceBook and Instagram,
    every time they make another post about these upcoming records, the comments are filled with questions about tape sources,
    mastering, and pressing. You'd think the marketing folks would have gotten the message by now that it's
    important to be specific and include all the info, lots of audio geeks out there apparently.

18. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

Yeah, as I (and others) have noted, this does not mean AAA. But listen, as I've said, I hope they are and if so they should state it clearly (as everyone else who cuts AAA does).

19. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Blue Note already has digital transfers of all their master tapes. If they wanted to cut from digital, it would be far cheaper to send those files via FTP or whatever over to Optimal. They wouldn't need to pay Kevin Gray at all.

I think "Kevin Gray masters direct from analog master tapes whenever an analog source is available" means that titles recorded to tape in the first place will be kept analog, and titles recorded digitally will not be because they cannot be. This seems the most plausible interpretation to me. But we'll see.

20. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

Ok cool. What is the source for this statement in connection with the 80th Anniversary releases? Is it a Facebook message to a forum member? Or some sort of official statement?

21. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

It's been posted multiple times. It's from the Blue Note official Instagram account. People keep overlooking this and I'm not sure why.

SoundDoctor likes this.
  22. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

SoundDoctor likes this.
  23. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

I've read that post and the comments. Again, it does not state that the Kevin Gray is cutting from an analogue source. Mastered from an analogue source and cut from an analogue source are two different things.

24. SoundDoctor

SoundDoctor Forum Resident

Sounds AAA to me when they say “mastered direct from analog tapes by Kevin Gray.” I’m in.

May is going to be a REALLY EXPENSIVE month. RSD mania in April not helping either...

bluejimbop, Tommyboy and Gabe Walters like this.
  25. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

Geeze Bryce, nobody is saying that post says Kevin cut it from analogue.
    We've quoted it directly.
    Did you even read this thread?

Tommyboy likes this.