Blue Note 80th Anniversary reissues...any news?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by riverrat, Nov 9, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

True, but Gabe’s point is logical. We’ll have to wait and see.

Gabe Walters likes this.
  2. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Q: But does this mean a complete analogue chain, or simply transfer of the tapes to digital and then cutting from these digital masters? Like the 75th anniversary pressings.

A: Kevin Gray masters direct from analog master tapes whenever an analog source is available.

Q: I also think it would be helpful if you guys could be clear on all releases about the source, the mastering engineer, and the chain (i.e. all analog chain or analog tapes to digital then vinyl).

A: Kevin Gray masters direct from analog master tapes whenever an analog source is available.

C'mon, that's clear as day. You have to be willfully cynical to read that in context and keep doubting.

nosliw, SoundDoctor and Tommyboy like this.
  3. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

I'll just point you here as this is my take (but stated with more elegance). Again, if someone can tell me the 80th Anniversary albums are definitively cut AAA, please do so. I'd be pleased.

4. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

Lol, I do not think that's clear as day. Clear as day is a sticker on the cover (ala Tone Poet, Music Matters, Analogue Productions) that states it is AAA. I think it's just wishful thinking on your part.

5. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

This is like a broken record.

Tommyboy and SoundDoctor like this.
  6. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

LOL, The sticker on neither Tone Poet nor Music Matters says AAA.
    In fact, they say exactly the wording BN has said about the 80 series.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SoundDoctor and Gabe Walters like this.
  7. Gabe Walters

Good luck to you.

Bryce likes this.
  8. Gabe Walters

Wish fulfilled:

bluejimbop, nosliw, dastinger and 7 others like this.
  9. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

Hey Gabe, do you know if where it says the 80th anniversary lacquers are cut by Kevin Gray? LOL

10. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

This is great news.

11. Gabe Walters

I want Kevin Gray on camera cutting the lacquers directly from tapes, holding two forms of ID, and his grandmother in the room to ID him.

Zomvid, Woodhill78, Admerr and 7 others like this.
  12. Gabe Walters

Zomvid, Admerr, dastinger and 3 others like this.
  13. Ryan_Pretzel and Gabe Walters like this.
  14. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

I would definitely pay more for this! :biglaugh:

bluejimbop likes this.
  15. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

Call me a fool, but wouldn't all pre-70's recordings have to be mastered, at least once, from the original analog tapes? No, wait, they were probably secretly recorded in digital in some underground cave in Tunisia :doh:

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
    Bryce likes this.
  16. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

Exactly. When they say "mastered from", it's doesn't really mean too much.
    It was actually Rhino who's been doing their hype stickers right for a long time;

[​IMG]

17. You can flat transfer the tape to files and do the mastering in the digital domain. Hence, “digitally remastered”

timzigs likes this.
  18. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

It’s the bottom part that I’m more concerned with: lacquers cut by Bernie Grundman.

Sale.

nosliw and DeRosa like this.
  19. Theloneliest Monk

Theloneliest Monk Forum Resident

I’m with you, just as long as it’s analog. Digital vinyl is a non-starter for me, not that I have anything against digital because I’d be perfectly happy if they were to put out a new CD series that isn’t on CD-R. I’m skeptical that would ever happen though.

Regardless, with the news that Kevin Gray is cutting the 80th series in analog from the master tapes where possible, I have renewed excitement over this series. Looks like some good variety here. I was checking out the Reuben Wilson and Bobbi Humphrey this morning and was completely into those grooves.

Fritz G23 likes this.
  20. edo.t

edo.t Forum Resident

The 80th Anniversary CD release is well underway in Japan. Does anyone know if the Japanese have 80th vinyl releases as well? I was there not too long ago and didn't see any evidence of a vinyl campaign. Sure would be great though!

21. Theloneliest Monk

Yeah, I heard about those but getting them shipped from Japan looks pricey and I’m sort of a cheapskate when it comes to extra things like that. I love Music Matters records, for example, but I only have ones that I could still get for the original prices and am unwilling to buy any that have had extra tacked onto the original price, even if it’s only an extra $10 or $15. I’m weird like that, I guess.

bluejimbop likes this.
  22. Theloneliest Monk

I’m excited for July, I put on the Reuben Wilson again and this is fantastic. I really liked the Bobbi Humphrey and I’m going to check out the Lonnie Smith shortly as well.

bluejimbop and DeRosa like this.
  23. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Biggest wildcard here is Optimal. A very good plant before, now half the time they make toilet-grade pressings. Hopefully they get it together for this series.

nosliw, Tommyboy and Man at C&A like this.
  24. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I've long since given up expecting anything of value/substance from BN...but I'll settle for a nice 80th Anniversary poster. My 60th anniversay poster is starting to fade.

25. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Yeah you are right, aside from licensing arguably the best jazz reissue series ever in Music Matters and then producing similar product w Tone Poet, both of which offer state of the art beautifully packaged product combined with arguably the best sounding reissues ever on vinyl by the top cutting engineer Kevin Gray , not much at all....