Blue Note 80th Anniversary reissues...any news?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by riverrat, Nov 9, 2018.

Tags:
  1. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

I can't believe it, maybe there is hope for me yet...My thoughts exactly on the other two.

Rob Zarzecki and dastinger like this.
  2. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Hand Jive is a good'n

scotti likes this.
  3. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Cancelled my pre-order for Ethiopian Nights.
    I streamed it wasn't that impressed. It was okay maybe I'll get it in the bargain bins if it goes down in price.
    I have zero interest in John Scofield. But of course alligator boogaloo I'll buy

struttincool and scotti like this.
  4. struttincool

struttincool Senior Member

Like minds on these releases. I'm only getting Alligator Boogaloo.
    September is a different story, I'm getting all three of the titles.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
    recstar24 likes this.
  5. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

September is gonna be awful money wise. For the first time in both series, I'm buying every release for the month so we're looking at €120-150 only on Blue Note.

mcenters and scotti like this.
  6. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

What are the September releases for the 80th Anniversary series?

7. Ethiopian is an early 70s funky jazz fave of mine so I’m looking forward to this pressing. Love the instrumentation. But I am skipping the Scofield.

lbloom, scotti, usethefourth and 5 others like this.
  8. struttincool

struttincool Senior Member

Una Mas
    Indestructible
    Hub tones

scotti and Bryce like this.
  9. shawnwes

shawnwes Forum Resident

Grant's First Stand is definitely a keeper. Enjoying it a lot.

scotti likes this.
  10. ryu

ryu Forum Resident

I love Ethiopian Knights. It's one of my favourite jazz funk albums. The first track, The Emperor, is fantastic.
    I'm really looking forward to spinning this one on vinyl.

11. shawnwes

shawnwes Forum Resident

[​IMG]Second day of listening & I'm through about 8 of the Tone Poets & BN80s today, & I have most of them, and all of them have been flawless so far. Not a complaint. Bring 'em on, here's my CC number **** **** **** **** 13/20111 :edthumbs:

scotti likes this.
  12. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Grants first stand is $8.99. For Prime members only today. Canada amazon

shawnwes likes this.
  13. shawnwes

shawnwes Forum Resident

Already had it but just bought 3 more copies for trading or giving away at christmas! Thanks Stu!

Stu02 and scotti like this.
  14. KOWHeigel

KOWHeigel Forum Resident

I just sampled Ethiopian Knights and it's a definite must buy for me. So much funk and soul. Good stuff.

lbloom, scotti and shawnwes like this.
  15. shawnwes

shawnwes Forum Resident

Me too. I'm looking forward to it. I find some of the BN funk titles leave me a little cold though. If I find myself moving in my chair & bobbing my head when I preview it on Tidal then I'm all in. With Mr Shing A Ling I just couldn't get into Lou's reading of it even though it's apparently a great sounding pressing. Maybe I'm missing something but to me it sounds like a classical musician trying to play funky jazz. Unless it was meant to be tongue in cheek it's missing the soul from the date's leader.

16. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Hey, I'm in for all of the September releases as well. Might be a trend here...

lbloom and dastinger like this.
  17. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Well thanks to this post and the ones above it regarding "Ethiopian Knights", I am now on board. No need to go sample it, I trust what many of you are saying. Just got off the phone with the owner at my local store, and he confirmed he will have that and Alligator Boogaloo for me to pick up this Thursday...

"shawnwes", if I may recommend to you to try "Mr. Shing-A-Ling once more, especially the song Peepin'...the Soul is there for me, but maybe this is just not your style, which I do respect...

shawnwes likes this.
  18. shawnwes

shawnwes Forum Resident

Ha! I get what you're saying Scotti. I actually had in in my hands a couple of days ago (like a moth to the flame :D). I've listened to it 3 or 4 times online now on Tidal hi-fi. I keep coming back to it to see if it finally clicks.

scotti likes this.
  19. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

Noooo, no trend please. I have a wife and son and I'd like to keep living together with them and sleep on the same bed as my wife does :D

Peterr, shawnwes and scotti like this.
  20. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Only one I passed on, what's up with this one, never listened to it. What does it compare to? Thanks in advance...

I need to disturb "the force" so 'dastinger" and I can still have a good debate regarding releases from time to time...Ha!

dastinger likes this.
  21. shawnwes

shawnwes Forum Resident

It's expensive hangin' with these guys! :D

scotti and dastinger like this.
  22. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

Ahahahah, I bet you won't have many issues disturbing the force. I'm really picky with what I buy on vinyl.

scotti likes this.
  23. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

Pfff, tell me about it...

scotti likes this.
  24. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Are you sure there was a hiatus in the studio. . . and not just a two week gap between Blue Note titles? At this time RVG was recording for more labels than Blue Note.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
    MisterBritt and blutiga like this.
  25. MisterBritt

MisterBritt Senior Member

Well, you make an excellent point. No, I was not sure what was behind the hiatus "in the studio" during the two hot weeks in July, 1968. Your suggestion prompted me to take a look at what was happening at Prestige during this period of time. Prestige and Blue Note were not the only labels RVG was doing, but they were to my estimation the two biggies. We see the same hiatus from recording for Prestige that we saw for Blue Note.

Take a look:

Prestige: Nothing between July 2, 1968 and August 6, 1968

[​IMG]

Blue Note: Nothing between the aforementioned Lonnie Smith Think! date, July 23, 1968 and Andrew Hill's Grass Roots date August 5, 1968

[​IMG]

I don't know what was happening. I considered the shooting of MLK but that was April 4, 1968. There was more than a month's hiatus at Prestige and, again, the more than two week hiatus (18 days) at Blue Note.