Blue Note 80th Anniversary reissues...any news?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by riverrat, Nov 9, 2018.

Tags:
  1. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

I got what you meant. It's only logical that if another version of Freedom Rider happened,
    it would be different, possibly in another region, Japan or Europe.

The Jazz labels don't generally double dip on the same recording in exactly the same format
    for two different audiophile companies in the same region. That's why we've seen all the variations,
    maybe a 2x45 or a mono, but i'm guessing VMP/BN80/TP/MM are staying out of each others'
    way as much as possible, with only rare exceptions.

scotti likes this.
  2. NicoRock

NicoRock Forum Resident

But now that Blue Note is directly doing AAA Audiophile reissues with the Tone Poet and Blue Note 80, what is their interest in licensing the catalogue to third parties? Wouldn't it be better for the company to release the reissues themselves? I'm curious about this.

shawnwes likes this.
  3. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Blue Note themselves I’d imagine are focused on their current line up of artists and developing that side of the brand and music. Don Was pretty much handles directly the BN80 series (I believe he is the one curating the titles with maybe some help from another BN guy or 2), and the other side of the reissue business is covered by Tone Poet and VMP. Whether it’s themselves or a third party, I’m pretty sure Don and BN have at least a finger on everything.

4. shawnwes

shawnwes Forum Resident

Listened to the whole thing through twice and I'm liking it a lot. Sound-wise side one is my favourite & has a more in your face vibe while side 2 is more laid back although it probably has more audiophile cred. I think it's worth picking up. Pressing & SQ was flawless. Cover is the usual BN80 treatment - sturdy but basic.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
    scotti likes this.
  5. WatchMaker

WatchMaker Well-Known Member

Yay.....Looking forward to tomorrow & a fine weekend as I will be taking delivery 2 BN80 from Amazon:-

1. Grant Green - Grant’s First Stand
    2. Dexter Gordon - Doin’ Allright

Hopefully all will be well & without any defects or warped.

:cheers:

6. Aeryn Sun

Aeryn Sun Forum Resident

If you haven't seen this clip on youtube, here is the link. Three gods playing funky and mad skills, question is, who is the better guitarist, Sco or Jaco!

7. shawnwes

shawnwes Forum Resident

I actually don't know how these are getting warped unless it's being left on the steps on a hot summer day or during shipping. I've got almost every release from the TP and BN80 series and notta minor ripple in any of mine.

8. WatchMaker

Sigh.... you must be the charming one I guess.

I have so far taken delivery for about 10 brand new records (of various genres) that has edge warped.
    Seriously disappointed, as I don’t recall having so many of such issues during the late 70s-80s era.

Not sure if it is caused by during transit or rushed manufacturing process (as some people had mentioned), either way, it is a very awful feeling. :shake:

Guess this could well be a norm and I might have to purchase a set of Vinyl Flat for the purpose.

DeRosa, MisterBritt and AFA like this.
  9. AFA

AFA Forum Resident

Same case with me :-(

WatchMaker and MisterBritt like this.
  10. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

it's Optimal... you've got a 50/50 shot of getting a warped or dished copy. their QC is horrible.
    i've got 100+ records from them in the past 3 or 4 years, and let's just say i bought a VinylFlat. https://www.vinylflat.com/

WatchMaker, nosliw and AFA like this.
  11. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Zero problems with my Blue Note 80th (well, except for the horrible paper inner-sleeves)

shawnwes likes this.
  12. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

I've got quite a few 2 and 3 lp sets pressed recently at Optimal, and there is no consistent pattern that suggests both or all are warped in the set.
    On the contrary, it's common for 1 to be perfect, and the other or both others to be warped/dished. I also recently got two box sets, one with 7 lps,
    and another with 6 lps, and both boxes contained half of the pieces warped. I'm assuming it's all happening in production before packaging, since i can't figure out
    how only half would be warped in the sleeves.

patient_ot, WatchMaker and AFA like this.
  13. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

awesome for you. how many you got? i wouldn't buy more, your luck is running out.
    I wonder how many people actually put a new record down on a sheet of glass or stone countertop
    and check it, then flip it over and do the same. I know that i never used to, and now i check them
    as soon as opening, and it's pretty crazy how bad modern vinyl is for lack of flatness.

AFA likes this.
  14. I just returned from an extended vacation, during which I streamed many of the new BN 80 and Tone Poet titles from the summer, promising to first nab myself the one that grabbed my ear most. I was pleasantly surprised that it was Bobbi Humphries’ Blacks and Blues—and it was by a country mile. On the hunt for it tomorrow...

Lucca90, patient_ot and Crazysteve like this.
  15. WatchMaker

Yes, BN80 should stop using paper sleeves. They may scratch our precious vinyl upon removing.
    I have to carefully cut open it to free up the record instead of sliding it out of the sleeve. It’s such a hassle.

16. jlrchrds

jlrchrds Forum Resident

Derosa, I have a vinyl flat as well, I’ve become hesitant to use it except in extreme cases and only then with the sleeve warmer (I have one below their normal temp). I loved it at first but then became somewhat paranoid about what it does the grooves. I thought it changed the sound of a warped MM title I purchased and flattened. I realize this s BN thread but I’m curious about your results. Thx Jeff

17. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

I've used the Vinyl Flat for my several dozen records that are warped at varying degrees. If you have any coloured records, especially if they're transparent, I would definitely err on the side of caution by being conservative by letting it run for 90 minutes and increase it to 15 minutes at each run with the Groovy Pouch until it's flatten to my liking.

Based on my experience, I haven't able to discern any audio anomalies from the records that I flattened with the Vinyl Flat & Groovy Pouch. Just be sure to let it cool off for at least several hours after running one session.

jon9091, DeRosa and jlrchrds like this.
  18. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

It works great for me, i've not heard any differences after treatment, just a nice flat LP.

WatchMaker likes this.
  19. WatchMaker

I am definitely gonna get one for myself. Sadly they do not have Labor Day sale :unhunh:

20. shawnwes

shawnwes Forum Resident

Don't want to derail the thread but I'm shocked at some of the pressing issues being discussed & that hasn't been my experience. I've purchased close to 150 new lps over the last 3 years from 3 different B&M and various online sources and I can assure you, even including the 30 or so BN75th lps, I can count on one hand the number that have had some sort of warpage. Luckily I've got a killer tt/arm/cartridge combination that tracks those w/o error. Is it possible you're purchasing from the same vendor who might be, knowingly or unknowingly, selling re-wraps or defects?

21. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

So have you actually inspected every new record you get, or just notice ones that stand out?

I've bought new records from Canada, UK, Germany, USA, Japan, in person, shipped, B&M stores, chain stores, ebay, the labels directly,
    the speciality sellers (Music Direct, Acoustic Sounds, Elusive Disc) and Amazon, both in Canada and the USA. I see no pattern whatsoever
    between what is likely flat and what is warped when you take it out of the sleeve. I see a pattern that Optimal records are 50/50 chance of
    being flat.

I heard an interview with the plant manger of Furnace Record pressing, and he said warps and dishing
    happens in the plant, from improper cooling process. (comes out of the press too hot). He said
    warping in the jacket from shrink wrapping is a myth. It's possible to heat an lp to the point it will warp
    after the record is stored, but that's not what happens with new vinyl most of the time.

I got two records from Drag City yesterday, both RTI pressings, one is perfectly flat, the other is slightly dished. Par for the course.

From a sample of 300+ new records, i'm sure it's getting into the territory of statistically relevant sample size.
    I put every new record i receive on a flat granite slab, and check to see how flat it is, flip it over, and way too many of them are dished.
    From the industry people i've spoken to who can be honest in private, they admit the issue is widespread. A friend who ran his retail
    vinyl business told me return rate is huge. He bought a professional flattening machine because so many of his regular clients wanted
    to return them, but knew that the seller could not send them back to the labels.

22. shawnwes

shawnwes Forum Resident

While I don't run a laser over it I do check every one visually and as my tt platter is right about eye level I can see if the arm is moving at all from level. Also my table has a threaded record clamp so they all get clamped down.

I guess I've just had better luck than many.

23. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

A clamp solves the majority of the issue. Rega TT owners don't normally have that option.
    Dishing won't always show up as movement, it just means the record is a dome,
    and the outer edge will sit off the mat on one side, the label will sit off the mat on the other side,
    but that doesn't necessarily cause the arm to move, it just means the vinyl isn't in contact.
    That's by far the most common pressing issue i see.

24. shawnwes

shawnwes Forum Resident

Hand Jive showed up today. Another brilliant piece I wouldn't have known about w/o this series.
    BTW, Amazon sent me an e-mail today telling me I'd saved $0.02 on it because of price adjustment savings! :cop:

Discs are flat & flawless.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
    Crazysteve and 99khan like this.
  25. 99khan

99khan Forum Resident

Lucky you! What do you plan to do with the extra cash??? Make sure you don't spend it all in one place! :laugh:
    BTW, Hand Jive rocks!!!

shawnwes and Crazysteve like this.