Blue Note 80th Anniversary reissues...any news?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by riverrat, Nov 9, 2018.

Tags:
  1. If these turn out even in the same league as the TP/MM 33s (sound wise) I am beyond stoked on so many on the titles. With them being AAA and KG doing the cutting, I’m hoping that’s the case.

Not in a huge rush for the first few titles so I will sit back and see the feedback. I will definitely pick up Herbie and Gordon (and about 20 others) if they turn out that good.

2. MondoFanM

MondoFanM Member from ATX

Ordered Dexter and Herbie. I think i will be happy with them.

p.analogowy and Greenmonster2420 like this.
  3. p.analogowy

p.analogowy Forum Resident

One more confirmation from the official Blue Note account on Facebook, in the comments:

Blue Note Records Hi Nomos & Luis, for the BN80 vinyl series whenever there is an analog source the chain will be all-analog. Kevin Gray cuts the lacquers, no digital files sent to Optimal.

:edthumbs:

Defrance, JakeM, Lucca90 and 9 others like this.
  4. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

I love that Don Was is doing it right. These series are so promising. Fingers crossed that Optimal delivers!

p.analogowy likes this.
  5. Cervelo

Cervelo Forum Resident

Has anybody asked why they are going out of country to Optimal for the pressing when RTI is doing the plating?

Kevin Gray's operation is at the RTI location and they have had such great success so far with the Tone Poet and the Blue Note Review #2. Doesn't make sense to me.

6. Bobsblkwax

Bobsblkwax Forum Resident

My guess would be that RTI couldn't do it for the price that makes sense for this series.

7. Briskit

Briskit “I don’t know karate, but I know ka-razy!”

From watching a few discussions between vinyl bigwigs on Youtube, I gather that the pressing plants are all pretty swamped by the renewed demand for vinyl. Could be that RTI simply could do it at the moment. Busy with the Tone Poet pressing maybe...:righton:

googlymoogly likes this.
  8. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

I was just about to say that. I don't imagine pressing in Europe is all that much cheaper than RTI, anyway.

9. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

Optimal is a very large operation, they would be less expensive than RTI.
    Capacity is another issue, with regard to timing the releases over the year.
    Germany is closer for the European countries , so it's not all a one-way benefit
    to being pressed in the USA. Otherwise, the labels wouldn't do it. Lots of
    labels use Optimal.

Bobsblkwax likes this.
  10. googlymoogly

I'm sure they probably have some cost benefit relative to size and pressing runs, but Germany isn't a low-cost country to do business in. I'd imagine capacity has as much consideration as anything else.

11. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Just FYI, Kevin Gray moved out of his AcousTech facility at RTI when he opened Cohearent in 2010.

12. struttincool

struttincool Senior Member

Optimal can do great work. For example, The Beatles reissues.

13. googlymoogly

That's true. One of the best-pressed sets of vinyl I've ever bought.

bluejimbop, Bryce and struttincool like this.
  14. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

Yeah, I don’t know why they’ve got a bad rap here lately. Everything I’ve got that was pressed there was great.

15. googlymoogly

I don't doubt they've produced turkeys, just like any plant can. I've had shedloads of problems with Analogue Productions' stuff, and other folks here say they've never had a single questionable pressing from them, so....

gr8trak, Defrance and bluejimbop like this.
  16. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

True, every plant has their issues. Some Mofi titles I’ve bought have had surface noise and slight warping issues.

Defrance and googlymoogly like this.
  17. Bart

Bart Forum Resident

Where are you ordering these from? TIA

18. Can’t speak for the other poster but Amazon has the first three titles available for preorder

Bart likes this.
  19. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

Awesome, thank you.

bluejimbop likes this.
  20. To familiarize myself with all these titles I have been adding all of them to Apple Music. I sampled the Bobbi Humphrey album last night and I was really digging it. Usually I am not a fan of flute but the backing musicians are grooving so hard on the tracks. I was reading reviews on the internet about the album and lots of folks mentioned the "dated" sounding synth... wasn't too big of a deal to me!

googlymoogly likes this.
  21. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I’m somewhat interested in the Herbie and dexter titles but surprised the price hasn’t dropped lower on these like the first Tone Poets did. I was hoping for $20 and under. Too optimistic a price point? At $25 I’ll probably only get Dexter this round.

22. Ben Toscano

Ben Toscano Forum Resident

The Herbie is $22.99 on Amazon and won't be released until May 10th (could drop further).

23. Sampling this Herbie album and I’m really loving it. Tenor sax and trumpet can’t go wrong with that combo.

Greenmonster2420 and Bryce like this.
  24. Guildx500

Guildx500 Forum Resident

That Herbie record is excellent. So is the Dex.

Bryce and Ryan_Pretzel like this.
  25. elvismcdouglas

elvismcdouglas Forum Resident

I don't understand all the complaints about the Blue Note 75 series. I have collected over 20 titles, and not one is a bad pressing. I mean, that was the complaint, right? Poor pressings?