Blue Note 80th Anniversary reissues...any news?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by riverrat, Nov 9, 2018.

Tags:
  1. It came back two days ago was only gone over night

2. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Yeah, but they shut it down to clean it up again this evening, EDT.

Mazzy likes this.
  3. What’s was the problem now ? Thought it seemed fine ??!?

4. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

That is funny, I am the exact opposite. I'd rather have the less expensive (and just as good sounding) record at 2/3 the price. Takes up less space too.

5. I’m not 100% sure but I think they removed all of the posts commenting on the earlier moderator actions. Understandable, that’s pretty explicit in the forum rules.

Not sure that thread will recover. I’ll stick to the musical discussion threads from @hutlock for now. :wiggle:

birchstick, Admerr, Harrison and 2 others like this.
  6. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

Yeah, in the end it's the music I care about. The fancy gatefolds with pictures are nice, but I'm happy to save the money and forego it if the mastering/pressing quality is there. The gatefolds take up double space (that I'm running out of) and I don't really look at the pictures more than once.

Tuck1977, Harrison and brimuchmuze like this.
  7. shawnwes

shawnwes Forum Resident

It's still working for me. They did delete about 50+ pages of it though as BlackFiregate went on way too long. Send admin a question as to why you've been locked out.

8. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

I think they could spend a quarter on a poly sleeve :)

That's my only complaint about this series.

9. brimuchmuze

The only problem with TP is it excludes MM, AP, etc titles, whereas BN80 does not.

I can't afford MM prices, but there are lots of great titles that could be re-done by Blue Note as AAA themselves.

scotti likes this.
  10. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

You don't have your own inner's? If so why do you care about the sleeve they come in?

11. brimuchmuze

I have replacements, but (1) why so cheap on the sleeves (2) they are crazy staticy as a result of these sleeves.

12. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

I assume it's to save money. To pass it on to the customer, generating extra $ for refreshments!

I end up cleaning most of them anyway so I don't care about the static. Also I think it prevents scuffs like mentioned above.

Believe me I love complaining, I just don't see a reason to about this aspect.

;)

13. Dmann201

Dmann201 Forum Resident

Any comparisons of Una Mas BN80 vs MM?

flatsix- and brimuchmuze like this.
  14. brimuchmuze

Yes, some needledrops please :)

15. fabre

fabre Forum Resident

I was looking at that album as well and I will pick it up some other time. I already have Mr. Shing-A-Ling which I like very much.
    I almost bought AP's 45 of Hub-Tones for around 40€ earlier this year but the shop already canceled my Sonny Rollins Saxophone Colossus after waiting for it a long time so I decided against it. I guess I will buy the BN80 soon.

16. Dean R

Dean R Forum Resident

I was talking to friend at Universal and he was explaining how their pricing system works.
    Every cost has a fixed % margin which is added to the dealer price, so something like a printed inner - which in my experience is about 60p - plus a poly liner could add something over £5.00 to the price you pay in-store.

17. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

See above, I came to my senses earlier...Doubt they would touch the 75th ones yet (wishful thinking) but good example on AP as well from you.

18. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

I awoke this morning to find myself ordering 2 more 15 quidder BN80s

Stu02, scotti and Peterr like this.
  19. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Ha! I hear where you are coming from and especially regarding the space for music. I have two bedrooms wall to wall with CD's. One full of vinyl and my basement looks like a small record store (life is good). It's a darn good thing my wife is a music fanatic as well. But we had a very long talk before we got married about all of this...

But, my cost on the BN 80th's are $22.99 and my cost on the Tone Poet's are $27, so that is not that big of a difference, but as I said earlier after I was kindly put in my place (ha), it's all about the variety of titles that are chosen, so I will gladly take what I can get from both, thank you very much!

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
    Crazysteve likes this.
  20. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

As an owner of the MM, the thing is pretty expensive currently, and i would recommend just sticking with the BN80. The price and value is pretty high. I love my MM but in all
    Honesty if I was just getting into the game I’d probably go BN80 and free up those dollars for something else.

21. WatchMaker

WatchMaker Well-Known Member

Yes yes....both BN80 & TP releases are so very addictive for me, I think nobody should pass up on any of their offers, especially for those artist you support.;)

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
    scotti likes this.
  22. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

I agree. If I didn't already have the MMJ reissues I would prefer to buy the BN80s. They sound great and are much better value.

Stu02, Tuck1977 and KOWHeigel like this.
  23. Crazysteve

Crazysteve Gonzo Party Member

My record buying restraint went out the window with these sets of smartly chosen titles. From 0 when May began to a full basket of titles that I thoroughly enjoy. It’s been a fun Jazz education on LP the past many months. It’s looking good going forward. Now I just need additional income.

scotti and MisterBritt like this.
  24. Crazysteve

Crazysteve Gonzo Party Member

It’s the artists and the music that I hadn’t heard that has blown me away most with these 2 series. It’s how you end up with most or all of the releases. You buy the ones you already like, and you unknowingly like the ones you didn’t buy. And every time I spin a new one, I think “that’s worth it!”

WatchMaker and scotti like this.