Blue Note 80th Anniversary reissues...any news?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by riverrat, Nov 9, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Marko K

Marko K Forum Resident

The cover is so ugly for that particular title, haha.

Opened, cleaned and played the last three titles (Indestructible, Una Mas and Hub Tones) yesterday. Unfortunately there is some non-fill, mostly in the inner grooves and it is faintly audible for 20 seconds or so. Not sure yet what to do about that, these might be last AAA copies of these titles, so maybe exchange them?

What I noticed also is that Hub Tones do not sound as good as the other titles, but maybe its just the recording - dare I say it even sounds like digital when compared to the other titles. I also have the MMJ version, I should compare the two.

2. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

Is the non-fill present on the three titles?

Marko K likes this.
  3. edo.t

edo.t Forum Resident

I've sent 2 copies of Hub Tones back to Amazon because of excessive scratches. One was quite warped too. I'm going to stick with CD on this one. Sure wish QC was better.

AFA and patient_ot like this.
  4. WatchMaker

WatchMaker Well-Known Member

Sometimes I wonder how does these brand new records get all scratched up?
    I have even received a few very expensive ones that is either scratched or with blemishes on the surface resulting very audible pops. Can be very upsetting.

5. Peterr

Peterr Forum Resident

I heard that the stacking by Amazon is the main problem.
    In an article someone stated that lp's lay flat.
    And if its high you hope not to get one near the bottom.
    I have a clean copy of Hub-tones but from a local indie.
    But its not So "full" sounding like the other 80's but very good.
    ( can't detect any piano wobbles )
    Greetz peter

6. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Only 13 more days until I get to act "Hipp" and hang out with Hancock and Henderson all in the same evening. Realize many already have the MMJ's of Inventions and In & Out, but unfortunately I do not and I am really looking forward to this next batch. For some reason I seem to be more excited for the Jutta Hipp, but who knows by the time they arrive, get all cleaned up and anxiously await their spin on the turntable. The last set of the Reid Miles themed covers before we go to the club for some live action in November. But we come back for round 2 of Reid Miles in March 2020.

If I may take a moment to rave about the new release from my all time favorite, John Coltrane's "Blue World". Picked it up along with my 3 LP set of Abbey Road" ( I caved in and got it after all, Fremer had to go and rave about it) and they did one heck of a job with it. The jacket is very similar to the quality of the BN 80th's, so a outer and inner sleeve is needed. Done in Mono like "Both Directions" but after only one listen, I like "Blue World" much better. I am sure most fans of JC already know the story behind this release, all though I would welcome any insights @MisterBritt may wish to share as he has a special way saying things. Accompanied by Garrison, Jones, and Tyner, this is truly a great listen!

The sound quality is really good, but it would appear there was a digital step used (can't confirm) but the sound is on par with the Tone Poet of "State of Fear". My cost was only $22 and if in to Coltrane, this release is Highly Recommended!

And as fate would have it, while I was checking out, the owner says two more of your Jazz titles that you ordered a while back came in as well today. I about, you know what as I just dropped $100 on Abbey Road and Blue World. He said, no worries, you do not need to get them today. Many thanks I said as the wife would not be to happy if I brought anything more home today, will pick them up next week some time.

By the way, the two Jazz titles that came in were the Speakers Corner version of McCann/Harris "Swiss Movement" which was recommended to me by @Josquin des Prez, thank you very much, ordered it back on 7/4 and forgot about it.

And here is the one that really surprised me. At least 18 months or so ago, I placed an order for the ORG 2 LP 45 version of Ornette Coleman's "The Shape of Jazz To Come". Only have this on CD and really love this record and from what I read, this was the version to get. From what I can tell, they must have just recently did another press of this, and the kicker is my price is only $37, which seems really good compared to other listings for it. I'm lucky the owner does not charge me in advance.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
  7. Mumdad

Mumdad Forum Resident

This wouldn't surprise me at all, almost every time I buy something that was down as the last one in stock it comes with a severe warp. I've tried to write it off as bad luck (given that warps are pretty common with new pressings anyway) because avoiding those copies feels a bit neurotic/superstitious but it happens so often that I think there must be something in it. I doubt they're the only ones storing things horribly either, I've had the same suspicion buying older titles direct from labels before.

The plain inners definitely won't help with the records being marked up, it feels a bit mental but I've started just ripping them open now as they seem to be particularly static-y at the moment for some reason. The BN80s have been pretty bad but my copy of the Freddie Gibbs/Madlib LP felt like it was actually glued into the inner! It was visually a VG by the time I got it out. Can't risk that happening all the time.

AFA, Peterr and MisterBritt like this.
  8. Mumdad

Mumdad Forum Resident

Sorry for the double post!

Just spinning Introducing Johnny Griffin, excellent album that was totally new to me. Also probably the best pressed BN80 I've had so far, which is nice. The bass tips over into distortion a couple of times though, I'm guessing that's normal and it was just recorded a little hot?

scotti and Crazysteve like this.
  9. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

Meet You At The Jazz Corner Of The World (vol 2) BN80 is up on Amazon.ca, Vol 1 has a listing but no pre-order.

I'm generally not that excited about the live Blue Note sessions, but these Blakey titles seem intriguing.

I've never heard the Horace Silver Doing That Thing, can anyone comment on it?

Probably going to pass on Grant Green Alive, which I haven't heard in years but I don't remember being blown away by it.

AFA likes this.
  10. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

bluemooze likes this.
  11. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Doin the Thing is a lot of fun. Funky McNasty!

12. Marko K

Marko K Forum Resident

Only on one title, but others have scratch marks from the tight sleeves (I think) - I ripped them out of the sleeves, but there are still scuffs.

dastinger likes this.
  13. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

Thanks. Which one, btw?

Marko K likes this.
  14. Marko K

Marko K Forum Resident

I lost all interest to listen to these, so I put them aside for the last week, must have been be the most dynamic one - Una Mas.

dastinger likes this.
  15. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

Listened to Hub tones tonight and think it is a great sounding release. Got a defect-free copy and the music is great. Might not sound as “in the room” as other BN’s but I chalk it up to the date. Don’t have a MMJ to compare it to (I retuned my MMJ a while ago because it was too noisey) but I’d say this release just as good as the MMJ sounds, with less surface noise!

fabre, scotti, AFA and 1 other person like this.
  16. fabre

fabre Forum Resident

I received my four BN80 and I've just been listening to "Freddie Hubbard: Open Sesame" - what a fantastic album. I read that he was only 22 when this album was recorded. Wow! I can't get enough of that sound. I am also reminded again of what I still need to listen to, for example Horace Silver. I am also looking forward to Hub-tones now even more.
    The quality of this BN80 record is really great, a steal for £15!
    I don't know what my favourite track is yet, they all sound great. Listening to it for the first time with each title I thought, that's the best so far but the next track kept me thinking again. I guess, this will be a record I will put on many times!

17. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

Listened to Think!and Blue Mode tonight. Really liked Think! Hadn’t heard that one before but a really nice set of funky jazz.

I have an original of Blue Mode but got this one to do a comparison. I don’t know if others have had a problem with their copy of Blue Mode but I got a copy and a replacement and they both had weird noise on side one. It’s not non fill(at least I don’t think so) but it isn’t like anything I’ve heard on a record before. Like consistent whooshing sounds. It can’t have that much non fill! Anyway, less than impressed with my copy of Blue Mode...

18. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Can't wait for all the reviews about " the scratchy" noises on inventions & Dimensions. :laugh:

19. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

Yeah, I have the 45 and it's defective like that. I hope the 33 fixes it. :biglaugh:

Gabe Walters and aoxomoxoa like this.
  20. Marko K

Marko K Forum Resident

But what is that noise exactly? :) A percussion that microphones of that time cant handle? I actually first heard this album 6 months ago on CD and I thought something is wrong with that CD, haha

21. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

Güiro - Wikipedia

mktracy, Marko K and Dignan2000 like this.
  22. Glenn coates

Glenn coates Forum Resident

Oops...see below

23. Glenn coates

Glenn coates Forum Resident

Many, many times.

fabre, scotti and Fender Relic like this.
  24. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

Played Indestructible this morning, loved it. Not heard it before but had it cranked way up and thought Art Blakey was in my room.

25. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

All right, some more BN 80th's are arriving in a few days. Was at my local shop this past Saturday, and got news that all three titles were in stock and I could purchase this Thursday, but will have to wait until Friday before I can get them. Really looking forward to these. I also made sure I had the 11/15 titles on order, and much to my surprise, I over looked the fact that there are two Art Blakey live releases coming, not just the one that I had thought. So, four wonderful live Jazz albums all on the same day, hooray I say!

Nice to get some live Jazz recordings for the collection. The only title I will not be going after out of these is the Lee Konitz "Alone Together" from 1996...

And if I may ask anyone here...So I finally got my ORG 45 copy of "The Shape of Jazz To Come" this past Saturday after an almost 2 year wait, yes, I had it on order at my local store and forgot about it (recent repress, I guess). Of course very familiar with the music, but all I had was a CD of it, and had not listened to it in a long time. I have now listened to this version twice, and it's absolutely one of my all time favorites, but this record is not as out there as it's put up to be, at least to my ears. I find it very easy to listen to and yes it does stretch out from time to time, but just not that crazy. What are others thoughts on this one, and sorry, not trying to derail here.

Dmann201 and blutiga like this.