Blue Note 80th Anniversary reissues...any news?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by riverrat, Nov 9, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

It is 'shaping' up what is "to come." Step right up to Free Jazz, and please ensure your seat belts are fastened securely.

scotti likes this.
  2. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Have the CD of that and yes it pushes the limit way more. Have just read/heard many say that so does "Shape", and I agree "Free Jazz" enhances the ride big time!

How is the ORG 45 version of this? Should I get myself a copy?

By the way, my wife and I both love the SC version of "Swiss Movement" will be listening time after time to this classic, thanks again for the tip!

3. Aeryn Sun

Aeryn Sun Forum Resident

Is there any indication that this series will continue beyond the issue already slated for release?

4. Josquin des Prez

Acoustic Sounds has limited copies for $35 (down from $50), which usually means one or two remain.

It sounds great but I hate that it's a 45 because you have to flip the sides in the middle of the tracks. Phooey on that!

Bill Why Man, Briskit and scotti like this.
  5. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Ha! That is exactly why I have held off on that version...Since Atlantic, would it not be nice if Speakers Corner could release this one!

Sorry, back to BN 80th talk...

There are a few titles coming in 2020 that I am really excited for. Jackie McLean's "A Fickle Sonance", Dexter's "A Swingin' Affair" (both with some Sonny Clark magic", Dorham's "Trumpet Toccata", and "Smokestack". I realize not until 3/13 and 4/10, but one has the right to dream of some awesome sounding Jazz that will ring in the Spring!

mcenters likes this.
  6. Josquin des Prez

Or a nice Rhino reissue mastered by Kevin Gray.

Bill Why Man and scotti like this.
  7. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

There are a couple of things that you may be reacting to:
    This is early free jazz and nowhere near as out there as this genre would become as it opened up later in the decade. I love this early stage as it rides that sweet line between accessible yet challenging enough. But really its pretty straight ahead as far as free jazz goes IMHO

Second you may find your tastes have expanded since you last really listened to this 2 years ago. (I once considered Bitches Brew to be challenging and now i dont at all. )

Ones perceptions of challenging music evolve and that is why i keep listening to music a little outside my wheelhouse . I find that journey quite wonderful and surprising .

Check out early Cecil Taylor like his record Looking Ahead for a similar early free jazz beauty.

Crazysteve, ryu, Kimiimacman and 2 others like this.
  8. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Thanks for your response/observation! I grew up on a lot of "Out there" music. When I was young I was into bands like Can, Amon Duul ii, and Jazz that that would open my mind. One of my favorite periods of Miles are titles like Bitches Brew, Jack Johnson, and On The Corner. Sure I love the classic sounds, but for me, I want to go for a ride in Outer Space any time I can. So that has to be why it is so easy for me to listen to music that stretches the imagination.

I remember the first couple times I listened to "Out To Lunch" (one of my all time favs) I was like, is that all you got, I can handle more...

Thanks for calling out "Looking Ahead", not that familiar with that one. Any decent version out there you can recommend? I just recently found an original of "Stereo Drive" that I really like, but that seems to be just as much a Coltrane title as his.

Sorry, I think I might have hi-jacked the BN 80th thread...but I hope you all know I will continue to support the topic at hand...

Crazysteve, mcenters and Stu02 like this.
  9. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I have an Orig press , dont know any good repressings

scotti likes this.
  10. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

Any King Records japanese pressing will sound good. You have a few to choose from.

EDIT: I'd go with a 70s or 80s one purely because I know they were doing a great job repressing jazz in that decades.

EDIT 2: Just noticed you also have a 1990 OJC which will sound great for sure. And it was probably remastered using the original analog tapes. I'd go with that one.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
    scotti likes this.
  11. Yayastone

Yayastone Forum Resident

I was at the Monterey Jazz Festival a few weeks ago and they had the Blue Note tent up
    with a couple record on display.
    I asked them if they were selling any.
    No.
    but they gave me a discount card.
    Tried using it and it was invalid haha..

I ended up going to my local spot and picking up
    Art Blakey
    Indestructible

[​IMG]

12. NicoRock

NicoRock Forum Resident

Don't want to derail the thread too much but has anybody compared the ORG 45 The Shape of Jazz To Come with a Japanese press? The Japanese press I have was done with the US metal parts and sound just wonderful. It sounds alive and electrifying and the vinyl is dead quiet. Love Ornette Coleman by the way...

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
  13. NicoRock

NicoRock Forum Resident

Listened to this BN 80 LP yesterday for the first time. What an album!

scotti and Yayastone like this.
  14. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

Me too loved it, classic stuff.

Vic Trola, scotti and Yayastone like this.
  15. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Would appear that many here are raving about the BN 80th of "Indestructible", and deservedly so. I listened to side 1 of it yesterday as I was watching the Braves and Cards game, what a series! And for me, I come out on top who ever wins as they are my two favorite teams.

But back to the Blakey, damn this is a wonderful sounding version, and the music ain't to shabby either. Another album where all I had was a CD of, so this is really like experiencing it the way it should sound for the first time. Side 2 coming up this afternoon...The more I spin this one, the more it is becoming my favorite BN 80th so far.

Out of the 13 of 15 titles that I have, the following are my current favorites...but we have three more awesome records coming later this week. And then comes 10/25, a date that I just can't stop thinking about and I have no idea why, honestly...

Indestructible
    Una Mas
    Introducing
    Aligator Bogaloo

Crazysteve, mktracy, Tuck1977 and 4 others like this.
  16. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

Una Mas
    Indestructible
    These will both be getting the needle drop treatment tonight.

scotti likes this.
  17. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Check this out...I just got off the phone with my local store going over the RSD Black Friday Jazz titles coming on 11/29 (many great ones) and they just got in an original first pressing Stereo version in excellent shape (Cecil Taylor "Looking Ahead") and it's only $17, I almost can't believe it, so I am assuming I would be better off with this one then, correct? I am buying this one unheard, thanks to the great feedback from you and @Stu02 .

By the way, here are some examples of what's coming on 11/29...

Charlie Parker - The Magnificent (original cover artwork)
    Herbie Hancock - Directstep
    Miles Davis - Rare from Complete In A Silent Way Sessions (Splashdown/Early Minor/The Ghetto Walk) Legacy
    Miles In Tokyo
    Griffin/Lockjaw - Ow! Live at The Penthouse
    Chet Baker - It Could Happen To You (Mono)
    Bill Evans - Live At D'Lugoffs (re-release Resonance)

18. danomar

danomar My spoon is too big.

Are these RSD titles or what are arriving at your shop?

BTW do you reference Comeback Vinyl? I need to visit them some time soon...

19. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

What the... wow, that was a huge coincidence! And yes, a first pressing will most probably be better than a King or OJC.

About that list, what are those titles exactly? RSD? I didn't hear about a It Could Happen To You new release (apart from the Chet Baker box) before. Is that analog? Do you have more info?

20. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Home | RECORD STORE DAY

Stu02 likes this.
  21. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

22. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Ugh sorry for off topic but is the chet baker basically going to be that LP from the boxset?

23. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

Probably. They're announcing it as being remastered by KG from the original mono tapes and pressed at RTI.

recstar24 likes this.
  24. StevenTounsand

StevenTounsand Waxidermy Refugee

The box set is stereo...I’m glad to see that the covers are tip-on!

GentleSenator and dastinger like this.
  25. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

Oh, didn't think of that. Oh well, I'd be happy with either. I might not be able to get my hands on the RSD though, being from Europe and the issue about the box is that I already own Chet's 80s OJC (sounds brilliant) and don't like Lerner & Loewe. So I'd be buying it for 2 albums and some outtakes. This RSD would be perfect for me to save a lot of money and still be super happy.