Blue Note "Classic Vinyl Reissue Series" - 2020 and beyond...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Briskit, Oct 23, 2020.

1. Sex Lies And Master Tapes

Sex Lies And Master Tapes Gaulois réfractaire

Still waiting for my Moanin' preorder at JPC myself. Hope it will shipped soon...

2. Garson

Garson Enthusiast

Just got my Moanin’ and Soul Station. THEY’RE IN POLY LINED INNER SLEEVES!!!!! Ask and you shall receive.

3. Embracetheday

Embracetheday Forum Resident

I received the Blue Note Classic Soul Station today, and it is pure bliss. I love love love it.

I’ve never owned this on vinyl, so I can’t speak to how it stacks up against any other pressing. I just know this one sounds great on my system.

Thank you, thank you to Don Was, Kevin Gray and everyone else involved in putting out affordable, quality pressings of these titles!

4. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

Got both today from Amazon and man, these records are scratched to hell from sliding around in these poly sleeves

5. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

LOL. No win situation.

6. Embracetheday

Embracetheday Forum Resident

That’s a bummer. Have them send you new copies. Mine was flat and clean.

Vinylbeast and ultron9 like this.
  7. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

I wonder how these Moanin and STation will compare to MMJ :)

8. Swordsandchains

already ordered, but going to be a couple weeks

Instant Dharma and Embracetheday like this.
  9. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Okay so it wasn't just me

And to those saying swap them out — Blue Note apparently didnt learn anything from the first round of sell-outs to order a bigger run as these were immediately unavailable on release day

JerryTurcotte likes this.
  10. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

The plants may be fully booked.

If I get a defect now, I will hold onto it until there is a re-press or it's in-stock.

jewelsnbinoculars likes this.
  11. Batman21

Batman21 If you don’t run you rust

Mine too. Play thru nice tho. Moanin was worse than soul station. Im gonna try my luck again with moanin.

12. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

I hope they re press sidewinder soon :)

Vinylbeast likes this.
  13. WillieDaPimp

WillieDaPimp Good bad, not evil

Repeating tic at the beginning of Moanin’ :rolleyes:, otherwise it sounds stellar on my setup.
    I’m glad to have it, and I look forward to getting some more titles when they’re released.

(Out To Lunch!)

sillycornelius and Vinylbeast like this.
  14. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

My copy of Moanin’ also has a lot of the micro abrasions. It plays cleanly so I’ll keep it. Sounds fantastic!

WillieDaPimp likes this.
  15. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

Much more likely they are scratched in handling before they got put into the sleeve.
    Glad to hear they're using poly instead of paper.

NorthNY Mark and GentleSenator like this.
  16. Swordsandchains

possibly but these look like they were put through a buffer

WillieDaPimp likes this.
  17. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

I just got a copy of the BN80th Herbie Hancock Inventions & Dimensions and mine looked like that too. Don’t currently have my turntable set up so haven’t listened to it but I hope it’s not as noisy as it looks...

18. Lynivevoli

Lynivevoli No pressure, No diamonds....

My copy is the same. Lots of scuffing and small skips/tics till you're about 20 seconds in. Going back.

WillieDaPimp likes this.
  19. Driver8

Driver8 Forum Resident

I was disappointed to see the same - but listening with headphones (Sennheiser HD 558), I can only hear some faint surface noise.

The album itself sounds *killer*

WillieDaPimp and Radio like this.
  20. Troy McClure

Troy McClure Forum Resident

21. Hulloder

Hulloder Forum Resident

Yes, 'Speak No Evil' is one I am looking forward to getting (Amazon says it is ready for dispatch) - I have quite few of Shorter's 60s Blue Notes on vinyl - 'Juju', 'Night Dreamer', 'Et Cetera', 'Adam's Apple'....and I pretty much love them all. I would love to see a reissue of 'Super Nova' which I know is pretty divisive for some, but I always liked it a lot. I should start a Wayne Shorter thread!!

And I might have sounded a little mean spirited towards 'Moanin' and 'Soul Station' - I LOVE the fact that these are coming out in great quality at a great price. Long may it continue.

IanL and Aegir like this.
  22. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

I like Super Nova a lot too, but originals/'70s represses aren't hard to come by and really nice ones don't cost much more than a BNC, if any more at all.

Hulloder likes this.
  23. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

My Moanin and Soul Station are both clean, and they came all the way to Japan.

I am wondering what’s going on. I wonder if there are tons of micro scratches like the on late period Classics Records pressings (see my Axis Bold as Love mono below). I have been trying for years to figure out how that could have happened. I was thinking there may have been grit in the sleeve or some problem in the manufacturing process. I don’t THINK poly sleeves alone can cause micro abrasions without some foreign substance in there? I would be interested in peoples thoughts.

Ugh. Breaks my heart just looking at this.

[​IMG]

Swann36 and DeRosa like this.
  24. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

I'm listening to Moanin' and it sounds great. The only flaw I hear is a little distortion on the piano at times (usually during solos) but it sounds like it's probably on the master, since the trumpet, which is equally loud, in the same channel, doesn't have any equivalent distortion. Can anyone confirm that that's the case?

Otherwise, it's flat, centered and nice and quiet (and, yes, in a polylined sleeve).

MikeJedi and JoFr like this.
  25. Hulloder

Hulloder Forum Resident

You just sent me looking to see prices!! They are harder to come by in the UK for sure, and with shipping from Europe......it would be more expensive than getting a new BNC from Amazon (for instance). But I take your point, rather than moan about 'Moanin', you can still find good prices for jazz vinyl for a host of other titles on various labels. And the good thing is they are often in great shape - I just got Chick Corea's 'Circling In' and Anthony Braxton's 'Creative Orchestra Music 1976'.

Swann36 likes this.