Blue Note "Classic Vinyl Reissue Series" - 2020 and beyond...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Briskit, Oct 23, 2020.

1. Levi's Tubs

Levi's Tubs Less cool than West Coast

Are the fancy gatefolds a wonderful addition to the Tone Poet releases? Yep. Honestly, though, I don't look at the insides of gatefolds often unless they were historically a gatefold with notes and other goodies inside. I keep my records in a sleeve outside the cover, so I'm not dealing with the covers all that much, besides looking at the back. I get how the covers may be deal breakers for some, but for me, at least where I'm at right now, it's all about the music.

2. Briskit

Briskit “I don’t know karate, but I know ka-razy!” Thread Starter

Would love to have the full gloss stoughtons, but would settle for just heavier card stock.
    Craft Recordings are also doing tip-ons for <$25.

nosliw, Dignan2000, Fractured and 7 others like this.
  3. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Forum Resident

I really wish they would do these with the same style jackets as the Tone Poets. It doesn't make any sense to use cheaper sleeves on classic albums like this and fancy sleeves on the more oddball TP titles.

4. Levi's Tubs

Levi's Tubs Less cool than West Coast

That's a great question. I'd be interested in knowing if the copyright holders own the lacquers to any extent and if that was part of the licensing to these smaller entities, MMJ and AP. Just thinking about the new Verve series if Universal had to reach a financial agreement with AS to sell those earlier Getz/Gilberto cuts or if there was some legal kung fu done to reclaim them once the smaller companies finished selling their line?

5. Dre327

Dre327 Well-Known Member

I’m thinking the same... I think MMJ might have to re-strategize their business outlook.

6. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Cool! Now we wont have to listen to you guys that dragged your feet bitch anymore!

;)

Just kidding. Im glad for those who missed out on the MMJs are getting a chance at this. Lets just hope for no "issues".

Jay Bob, Briskit, recstar24 and 3 others like this.
  7. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

I couldn't agree more. If they originally were gatefolds, then reproduce them as gatefolds. Tone Poet and MM are nice fetish items, but I would rather have a single high quality jacket than clunky gatefolds.

Prophetzong, Geee!, Jay Bob and 7 others like this.
  8. This is the first time in awhile I won’t have to buy these Bluenote reissues. I think I have all of these from MMJ.

But I’ll Still be on my own Tone Poet monthly subscription service so those will continue to arrive as long as they put them out.

9. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Now, if they really want to make folks happy they will press up things like Wayne Shorter "Schizophrenia" and others including the Hutcherson title that VMP snagged and made exclusive and placed in that expensive box set. And other jazz albums that VMP made some exclusive BS.

gorangers, Briskit, timzigs and 2 others like this.
  10. BreakBeat DJ

BreakBeat DJ Forum Resident

I agree completely. The jackets should be a step up, if not gatefold. I have read all the reasons that these titles will not be released at the Tone Poet tier, and people with more knowledge than I have seem to agree that these workhorse titles were not going to be TPs any time soon. But, it doesn’t stop me from being a little disappointed that this new line won’t be Stoughton/RTI. This TP quality at $27 is the sweet spot for me.

This is Great news for an price accessible AAA KG of some of the best music in the world, and I will buy all of these because I give up food for vinyl. But, I’m not as excited as I want to be.

Kimiimacman, DeRosa and EricMack like this.
  11. magnet

magnet Forum Resident

I wish they used better inner sleeves than 80 series

Aeryn Sun and Ste_S like this.
  12. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Regarding the covers - I imagine they want these to be affordable to get them in peoples hands. I got into blue note because the BN75s were in the $15 range. These will be regularly in the $20 range when on sale for an (assumed) quality pressing and mastering. Tone poets are a little more specialized intended for the folks already familiar with the musicians on them and won’t blink at the higher price. Very glad to have choices in the BN catalog and done right

13. MondoFanM

MondoFanM Member from ATX

I am pretty well covered on most of these it seems with the MMJ releases. Wish JuJu was included here.

Stu02 and Rob Zarzecki like this.
  14. keylime_5

keylime_5 Forum Resident

Yeah, Craft's tip-ons are excellent as well. I think the thinner card stock is okay if it's glossy like Speakers Corner and Pure Pleasure Records does with theirs.

15. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

Great news!

16. keylime_5

keylime_5 Forum Resident

I'm surprised Blue Train isn't in this batch. I hope they'll do a 2022 batch and it'll have some other big names like Blue Train, Point of Departure, Unity, and hopefully Ornette Coleman Trio At the Golden Circle Stockholm.

17. Sneezyachew

Sneezyachew Forum Resident

It’s to keep MMJ happy surely.

18. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

I am really curious if these will be more comparable to the Tone Poets or the BN80 series. Either way, I have MMJs for most of these and IMO will never be topped.

Stoked for those who don't have these though!

Edit: oops, I missed it. I see now they will be BN80 type releases.

19. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

Thankfully (for my wallet) I have most of these from MMJ. I only see 5 where I'll upgrade from my 75th Anniv copy so far. I assume we'll see it extend through the remainder of next year. I wish they'd go deeper on the catalog though.

Thom Lieb likes this.
  20. Kimiimacman

Kimiimacman Forum Resident

This announcement is indeed great news. I have many on MMJ and AP but these will fill a few gaps;

Soul Station
    Go
    Speak No Evil (only have 75th)
    Out to lunch (ditto)
    Back at the Chicken Shack
    Ready For Freddie

I also agree with the many comments regarding the covers. The 80 series are pretty drab. I have a number of Heavenly Sweetness pressings that feature super high gloss on standard card-stock which which look almost as good as MMJ at a standard price point.

21. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

Here's what the next batch of sixteen may look like:

John Coltrane – Blue Train
    Andrew Hill – Point of Departure
    Ornette Coleman – At The Golden Circle Stockholm
    Joe Henderson – Mode For Joe
    Lee Morgan – Search For a New Land
    Dexter Gordon – Our man in Paris
    Larry Young – Unity
    Herbie Hancock – Empyrean Isles
    Jackie McLean – Let Freedom Ring
    Wayne Shorter – JuJu
    Bobby Hutcherson – Dialogue
    Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers - Free For All
    Grant Green - Street of Dreams
    Blue Mitchell - The Thing To Do
    Lou Donaldson - Blues Walk or Sonny Rollins -Newk's Time/Vol. 2
    Ike Quebec - Blue & Sentimental

Dignan2000, trd, superstar19 and 3 others like this.
  22. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Yup. If you go to the BN page you’ll see the BN80s under the new titles. Meant as a continuation.
    Blue Note 80 Classic Reissues – Blue Note Records

trd likes this.
  23. keylime_5

keylime_5 Forum Resident

Yeah I think definitely these:

Blue Train
    Point of Departure
    At the Golden Circle Stockholm (at least Vol 1)
    Search For the New Land
    Unity
    Our Man In Paris
    Mode For Joe
    Empyrean Isles
    Let Freedom Ring

after that there are several possibilities. I think Sonny Rollins' A Night At the Village Vanguard is a strong possibility as well.

24. SongAndDanceMan

SongAndDanceMan Forum Resident

I'll probably pick up a few of these but would rather have paid a bit more for better jackets as well

Aeryn Sun, Jay Bob, ryu and 1 other person like this.
  25. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

I'm glad I got the MMJs of most of these. They will never be equaled.