Blue Note "Classic Vinyl Reissue Series" - 2020 and beyond...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Briskit, Oct 23, 2020.

1. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Good points on Hubbard and Silver. I swear my copy of Song for My Father looks like it has the "stitching look" of non-fill but I can't really hear anything that sounds like non-fill. I'm sensitive to it normally. I've seems like I've seen it a few times recently but haven't heard it but it's my typically the reason I return an album.

2. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Again, I have had non-fill and never seen anything to visually indicate a defect. I don't see little beads of white. I'm wondering if you're talking about something else?

3. Petter Premberg

Petter Premberg Forum Resident

I've never seen (only photos online) or heard non-fill, but it's usually described as white waves close to the edges of the record, and a "swooshy", dull sound. I don't think it seems to happen a lot in this series, based on photos and descriptions posted in this thread at least.

What we do get a lot of is stitching, the little white dots that causes a ripping sound, very loud and distracting. That's a direct return for me, even if it just happens once and very briefly, you can't enjoy the album the same way. But if there's no noise, no problem IMO.

4. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Non-fill results in a zipping type sound. "zzzzip"

It's a very focused, tight sound. "Swooshy" is not caused by non-fill. I think I know what you mean by that, though.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
    Geee!, mikemoon and GentleSenator like this.
  5. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

For UK buyers, if you want to take the chance, the upcoming releases are generally £18.99 direct from Blue Note UK, plus a single postage charge of £3.95 per order if you have them sent as one shipment. So about £20 each if you order the four or five due shortly. Those I’ve had so far have been fine, and I’ve pre-ordered the Freddie Hubbard etc.

6. ausgraeme

ausgraeme Forum Resident

I meant separation between instruments.

Bug80 likes this.
  7. ETSEQ

ETSEQ Forum Resident

Ready for Freddie is a must-buy IMO. McCoy and Elvin together are one of the best pairings in the history of jazz, so it’s especially interesting when they appear on non-Coltrane recordings. And you have Wayne Shorter appearing a few years before his incredible Blue Note run as a leader, on an album that sounds like it might have inspired the direction he went on those albums. And I’ve not even mentioned Freddie Hubbard who was in peak form.

RyeB, Dignan2000, Stu02 and 13 others like this.
  8. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Yes, this is a must have and slightly advanced for when it was released if I recall. The lineup speaks for itself and it's worth having for side 2 alone, featuring "Birdlike" and Crisis". I own a mid 70s copy (decent but not great shape) and I still don't know why with as many MMJs that I have that I passed on this one. I have the BN Classic arriving tomorrow. @mikemoon please think hard before you cancel it. I think once you spin this on your system, you will be glad you got it.

9. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

Echo the sentiments above, Ready for Freddie is a top Blue Note title.

uzn007, mktracy, mikemoon and 2 others like this.
  10. Pirol

Pirol Well-Known Member

Has anyone already received Ready for Freddie? Top title just in case the record itself is ok.
    I´m better waiting for reviews here....

Bakeryrec and mktracy like this.
  11. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

I've always thought and referred to the stitching and ripping sound as non-fill. It used to be notorious on Rainbo pressings, maybe that was stitching. I would hear it then look for it and see it. I can see this on the SFMF album but I didn't hear anything.

Interesting that I've had stitching and non-fill confused this whole time. I don't even really know if I've heard non-fill then or what I may identified and referred to it as.

I've also heard the swooshing sound at times and just called it that. It seems to be more prominent or lps cut with longer sides but that may not be causation.

In any case, it seems stitching is my biggest defect received.

Petter Premberg and mktracy like this.
  12. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

you didnt know the difference between stitching and non-fill!? What kind of audiophile are you!? Turn in your card now and be prepared to be thrown to the wolves

mktracy, CBackley and mikemoon like this.
  13. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

I did not cancel the order. Ready for Freddie should arrive this weekend.

I will sample all the others with the most likely purchase being Silver.

The others, Byrd and Humphrey, have some grooves that might sway me in. I might even get that Christmas album.

ETSEQ likes this.
  14. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

:laugh: Yep...never really been too comfortable with that term, though I identify with some of the characteristics (obviously). 10 years and I'm still learning, that's a beautiful thing or frustrating, depending on my perspective.

I'm simply perplexed at the moment trying to determine where all this confusion started, now I have to figure out WTF non-fill really is. :confused:

mktracy likes this.
  15. Kimiimacman

Kimiimacman Forum Resident

My experience with BN U.K. store is if you pre-order close to release date they rarely have stock to cover the orders; this is especially true during a sale. Never again for me.

NorthernFusion likes this.
  16. Dai

Dai Note to self: listen to Clifford Brown more often

Similar experience one occasion, in fact ordered in plenty of time. Tempting if they are offering 20% off, which hasn't happened for a while, but I order from my local brick & mortars these days.

17. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

After finally cherry picking the new list for 2022, I'm down for 8 titles. I went all-in on the first batch so this is great considering all the other jazz pressings coming out right now :)

Ready for Freddie will be here in a week or so, can't wait to hear it!

18. Kimiimacman

Kimiimacman Forum Resident

Similar. 3 for sure plus 4-5 possibles.
    Save some cash for the Ornette box.

mktracy, dastinger and oldjollymon like this.
  19. Tricky By Name

Tricky By Name Forum Resident

Apparently it is being delivered to London UK today, so I'll keep you posted....

Pirol likes this.
  20. isselee

isselee Forum Resident

Just arrived. I played it once. Excellent album and an excellent pressing.

Radio, Pirol, mackeyse and 4 others like this.
  21. JoFr

JoFr Fine fine music

Happy to report that Ready for Freddie is excellent. Great mastering but also great pressing. Flat, quiet, only heard 1 pop (brushed only).
    And what a line up. Hubbard, Shorter, Tyner, Jones play beautiful as expected. Art Davis lower bass notes strike through the air of my living room. Never heard of an euphonium which apparently is kind of a tuba and indeed sounds like it; I need to check this Bernard McKinney. Great. Favorite song Crisis.
    Up next is Coltrane ALS live in Seattle. Good day for jazz.

mikemoon, Radio, struttincool and 7 others like this.
  22. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

Looks like Amazon dot ca is actually going to get Ready To Freddie to me by release date... it's a minor miracle.

23. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

My local shop had a leftover Blue Note 80 copy of A.T.’s Delight that I snagged yesterday when I picked up the new Coltrane in Seattle album. Fantastic drum sound on this pressing, and I love Taylor’s take on “Syeeda’s Song Flute.”

24. Starquest

Starquest ‎ ‎ ‎

I think I prefer the AT version of Syeeda. Great album. I got it from amazon recently, and it took over a week. I think the supply of some BN80s is dwindling, and who knows whether they'll be re-pressed? My guess is they're low priority right now. I was kinda wanting a copy of Buhaina, which is sold out almost everywhere, but I listened to it several times and it's not one of the strongest Blakeys IMHO.

mktracy and Spencer R like this.
  25. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

Remarkable conga work from Potato Valdez on that record :)

Ste_S, scotti, mktracy and 1 other person like this.