Blue Note "Classic Vinyl Reissue Series" - 2020 and beyond...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Briskit, Oct 23, 2020.

1. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

WOW! I'm floored. What an absolutely perfect time to become a jazz fan and an audiophile :eek:

Really would have liked Stoughton jackets, but for just over $20 each, I don't mind. These are titles I wanted in my collection but could not otherwise afford a AAA pressing of each. Just pre-ordered the Side Winder but several more peaked my interest as well. Can't wait for these to start coming out!

farewelltransmission and DeRosa like this.
  2. FunkJazz

FunkJazz Wake up... and smell the Sunflower

Great news, seems that the next couple of years there’ll be a steady flow of great affordable releases to quench my classic ánd more obscure Blue Note jazz thirst. Long live the Tone Poet and Classic series!

Aeryn Sun, Jay Bob and magnet like this.
  3. SteveCam

SteveCam Forum Resident

I'm with you on this. Why not go with the Tone Poet style gatefolds or at least higher quality standard jackets for a bit more. These titles deserve the Tone Poet treatment.

Jay Bob likes this.
  4. keylime_5

keylime_5 Forum Resident

I think they probably wanted to get affordable releases of these out, not definitive versions. The "Tone Poet Style" gatefolds are actually Music Matters Jazz style gatefolds, so they'd basically be repackaging these exactly like the Music Matters jazz except selling them for $35 retail (only difference is no Joe Harley or Ron Rambach, just Kevin Gray on the mastering and production team). I think having the price point on these down to $25 was probably a priority as well.

I will say they should've done the BN80 series in either a slightly thicker cardstock sleeve or at least a glossy thin one, or even a tip-on that isn't glossy and fancy or gatefolds like the Stoughton ones they use for TP/MMJ.

astro70 likes this.
  5. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

These are meant to be a continuation of the BN80 series so they are using the cheaper jackets. And also, if they used the same jackets of the MMJ series, there would be virtually no difference to a lot of people, but a MASSIVE price difference. I just saw a MMJ copy of The Sidewinder sell in the classifieds here today for $175, Right after I ordered the $25 version in this new series. There has to be a difference between the 2, or else essentially there would be 2 identical products on the market. And how would MMJ, and people who bought that series justify the cost?

6. Starquest

Starquest ‎ ‎ ‎

I’d like to believe, however naively, that not every Blue Note decision has to be cleared with MM and their fanboys.

7. Yes they should at least up the covers like the Craft reissues. They don’t need to be gatefold.

are you listening @donwas @bluenote

stinsojd, Dignan2000, miq2son and 4 others like this.
  8. The gatefold and photo licensing from the Wolf archive adds $$$ but they certainly could up the cover stock and still keep the gloss. Only adding a few bucks.

stinsojd likes this.
  9. keylime_5

keylime_5 Forum Resident

Honestly the gatefold with the fancy photos have been done by MMJ, I'd actually prefer if they were just non-gatefold tip-on jackets like the OGs are.

Jay Bob, waaguirr, wgb113 and 5 others like this.
  10. Sneezyachew

Sneezyachew Forum Resident

They’re working directly with the MMJ team. What’s do you expect, them to use the same photos in the gatefold?

11. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

If i were running blue note, i'd choose 140gram RTI pressings with a single pocket tip on, without the high gloss.
    They could easily sell these for $20.

12. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

Optimal is doing a very nice job though. I didn't miss RTI on BN80s tbh.

miq2son, Kip Kasper, magnet and 3 others like this.
  13. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I wonder if they have to. I wonder what the deal was with MM in the 33s

14. Pelts

Pelts Forum Resident

Sure it does. If they used the same jackets then they would be called Tone Poet Series. At that point what is the difference? They have to differentiate between the two series to get them at the lowest approachable price possible.

Andy Pandy likes this.
  15. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

I don't know that this is true in 2021, do they really need two different tiers of pricing?
    Arguably, they've got the series reversed, the "classic" titles are the ones that should be the definitive versions.

The Tone Poets seem to be selling just fine, they likely could have just expanded the series adding the "classic" titles.
    At some point, there is going to be buyer fatigue with the number of titles available, and it won't matter what the price is.

16. YEX 750-1

YEX 750-1 Long-winded Brother

I'd love a non-gatefold tip-on, there's a real nostalgic beauty to that.

But at the very least, unlike the Tone Poets, I bet the spines on these will actually match with one another.

Side note: will be very interesting to hear all the different Maiden Voyage reissues once this series is out. That title is very reliant on a solid mastering take and philosophy, IMO. The OG RVG, AP45, MM33, VMP Herbie boxset LP (Bernie AAA cut out later this year), and the KG BN Classic will be fun to compare.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
    Dignan2000, recstar24, Stu02 and 6 others like this.
  17. Pelts

Pelts Forum Resident

No doubt 95% of us on this forum will buy these. Even though we have multiple copies, the price is too good to pass up. But I think Blue Note and Co. are really hoping these will expand far out to the average casual music fan and for the next generation. Not to mention huge sales numbers to which they have never seen

astro70 and mikemoon like this.
  18. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Forum Resident

The difference is that the Tone Poet series focuses on more obscure albums and the Classic series focuses on the most popular BN releases. I see no reason why they both can't have nice sleeves.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
  19. Kimiimacman

Kimiimacman Forum Resident

I think your right and not just for sound quality reasons.

As a business it’s not good to give away the ‘golden egg’.
    These classics are where the real long-term business/money lies. If BN produced 33rpm tip-on non-gatefold sleeved AAA @ $25 where do they go from there a bar 1-Step $125?
    Which independent label would take it on and try to compete? It would just not make sense imho, although from my perspective very regrettable, as for me, that would be all I’d want and I guess, most here too, which is why I really don’t think it’ll ever happen, as least not until BN sales take a major downturn some time in the distant future.

musictoad likes this.
  20. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

My graphic designer friend laughed out loud when she saw my row of TP's on the shelf.
    She thought someone would be fired in her office for being that random and sloppy.

21. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

This is my thought as well. Single nice tip-on, matte or gloss finish, poly sleeve and $25 retail.

Jay Bob and Swordsandchains like this.
  22. Pelts

Pelts Forum Resident

And consider this. What if The Sidewinder that comes out next month sounds so good that you can’t differentiate between that $20 copy and the one MM sold you for $80 six months ago. Wouldn’t you be a little pissed?

Dignan2000 and astro70 like this.
  23. Starquest

Starquest ‎ ‎ ‎

Especially when the price we actually pay is not that different between Tone Poet and BN80*

* - yes, I am WELL AWARE that Amazon’s price is not the “list price.” Don’t care.

24. YEX 750-1

YEX 750-1 Long-winded Brother

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks it's bizarre...they are all over the place! It would be one thing if they emulated originals or something, but no. Seems completely random.

25. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

We noticed too!

I pointed out some of the content mistakes, like putting "Blue Note Stereo" on the spine of the Chet Baker title,
    which is neither Blue Note, nor Stereo. That was a good laugh.