Blue Note "Classic Vinyl Reissue Series" - 2020 and beyond...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Briskit, Oct 23, 2020.

1. jewelsnbinoculars

jewelsnbinoculars Forum Resident

2. Sneezyachew

Sneezyachew Forum Resident

Because they already happened.

I do agree tip-on would be nice tho.

3. keylime_5

keylime_5 Forum Resident

I mean, judging by the comparisons between the BN80s to the MMJs, the MMJs will be better but not by that much, and certainly not by $55+ difference. Though the tip-on gatefolds plus that minor difference in sound quality do not make me regret having splurged on the MMJ version of most of these.

Sneezyachew likes this.
  4. DavidJ

DavidJ Forum Resident

I’m in for all 16. I have half of these as MMJ SRX and half as BN 75, so I will do some upgrading and downgrading (on paper at least) to collect the series. Great to see AAA at this price point.

The first 16 titles were done in the 75th campaign. It will be interesting to see if future titles expand beyond the 75th selections.

wgb113 likes this.
  5. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I was a MMJ subscriber, so I have every MMJ release - so unless this series puts out titles not included in the MMJ series - I can save some money.

6. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

Great news that these high quality reissues will continue. I have most of these in 33rpm MMJ versions already, but will definitely be picking up the Tyner and Silver SFMF.

Would love to see them dig a little deeper into the BN catalog, but that opinion reflects the fact that I already have most of the titles on this list..

wgb113 and DeRosa like this.
  7. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

I just spun my McMaster 2008 of The Real McCoy and think it sounds terrible. People here said these were AAA, but if so, they used a bad tape for the Tyner. Anyway, looking forward to the KG cut.

Dignan2000 likes this.
  8. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Well we have TP for many less well known titles.

I am good with this series being the "classics"

astro70 likes this.
  9. Levi's Tubs

Levi's Tubs Less cool than West Coast

Yep, I think it's a cool idea to serve both masters with two concurrent series.

Sneezyachew likes this.
  10. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

On the new classics series?

where does it say that?

11. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

This is great news!

12. Sneezyachew

Cohearant, yes. But in general, they’re working with Kevin & Joe on the Tone Poet series.

13. farewelltransmission

farewelltransmission Forum Resident

Will definitely be filling some holes in my collection with these releases. Very excited that the series begins with The Sidewinder!

14. MondoFanM

MondoFanM Member from ATX

that was my real entry to BN, I had always been more into Verve stuff. A DMM 80s pressing but damn it was good.

15. Starquest

Starquest ‎ ‎ ‎

I wish they'd offer trade-in value on the BN75s :D

Don P., garrincha, miq2son and 4 others like this.
  16. Levi's Tubs

Levi's Tubs Less cool than West Coast

Picked up about half of this list from AP or with Liberty/UA pressings this past year or so, so I'll cherry pick while I catch up on all the other reissue series.

Incredible that two major reissue series launched within a month or two of each other. We are in store for some great jazz these coming years. Hopefully, we survive as a people long enough to enjoy them.:sweating:

17. Sneezyachew

Mine sold surprisingly well on eBay...

wgb113 likes this.
  18. Dai

Dai Note to self: listen to Clifford Brown more often

Moan, moan, moan... four pages long and half the posts complaining about the jackets. I'm really looking to this series... won't be checking this thread too often, though.

19. MondoFanM

MondoFanM Member from ATX

oh come on. That’s the fun of all this

Eric_B and Dai like this.
  20. Starquest

Starquest ‎ ‎ ‎

How much did you get for any of them? Aren't they all still available new for cheap? I just looked at Empyrean and it goes for $18.34 on amazon. Who would buy a used copy especially with the poor reputation and possible need to return?

Sneezyachew likes this.
  21. Dougthesnail

Dougthesnail The Big Gabagool

Still sort of leaves the door open for MMJ given these are just standard jackets. Really would've loved to see gatefolds for an extra couple bucks.

22. Dai

Oops... forgot where I was for a moment.

Genuinely excited...

MondoFanM likes this.
  23. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Sweet! There’s a couple of MMJ titles (Speak No Evil, for one) that I missed out on, so I’m happy with this new series.

[​IMG]

24. birchstick

birchstick Forum Resident

If there isn’t something to complain about related to the on sale announcement timing, shipping rates, shipping time, packaging of shipped items, response of customer service to inquiries after defective shipment has arrived, quality or weight of vinyl, speed of vinyl, inner sleeve, outer sleeve, thickness of cardboard sleeve, font on the spine, etc. etc. that means we have to sit back and actually enjoy the music.

25. Dai

How's this for an idea: plain white sleeves, white labels... promo style... they could call it 'The Listener Series'... no expense on anything except the quality of the sound.

Elofan, Subagent, miq2son and 5 others like this.