Blue Note "Classic Vinyl Reissue Series" - 2020 and beyond...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Briskit, Oct 23, 2020.

1. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

C Basra
    D Lazy Afternoon, Elderdown

Fender Relic likes this.
  2. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

Thanks, I kinda figured that's how it would go by looking at the bands. Still, both side D songs are great.

3. struttincool

struttincool Senior Member

About 2 years into this series and it just keeps on giving.
    Listening to Shorter's Adam's Apple at the moment. Never owned an issue of this until now. Killer, mostly mellow slow to mid-tempo tunes. I really like the sound quality of this one. Excellent drum detail/impact and Shorter's tone and presence are captivating. I also got one of those extremely quiet Optimal pressings, which is always a nice bonus.

[​IMG]

GyroSE, Ronnieb, PATB and 7 others like this.
  4. Newscot

Newscot Forum Resident

5. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

6. Newscot

Newscot Forum Resident

My mistake Out To Lunch is £17.31 from Amazon U.K. direct.

Dubmart likes this.
  7. SonOFJames

SonOFJames Forum Resident

Is the Bud Powell Classic worth picking up ?

8. Starquest

Starquest ‎ ‎ ‎

Stream it first. i found it to be bog-standard 50s jazz and decided i'd never play it.

mackeyse likes this.
  9. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

Which one? Time Waits? I think it’s pretty cool…definitely wouldn’t call his playing bog-standard, at least not on that title.

Mark J, scotti, ausgraeme and 2 others like this.
  10. Trifonius

Trifonius Jazz

I absolutely love it

scotti, racer59, bgod and 7 others like this.
  11. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

Superb piano sound too- top notch SQ. I don’t recall that coming across when I streamed it.

racer59, ausgraeme, Trifonius and 3 others like this.
  12. Trifonius

Trifonius Jazz

I had the same, streaming it I liked the music but the record sounds just great. It didn’t leave my turntable for weeks and often compared very favorably to Tone Poets and Acoustic Sounds Series imo

13. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

Same here (kind of) here- I have limited time for home listening since having to go back in the office, so Time Waits was an immediate needle drop & been enjoying it immensely in the car. Adam’s Apple also falls into that category.

ShamPain, Trifonius and mktracy like this.
  14. ShamPain

ShamPain Well-Known Member

Amazon (US) has discounts on some of the upcoming pre-orders right now, e.g. the Andrew Hill and Grachan Moncur are both $23.99. Some other titles have nice discounts too, if you need to fill out the back catalog.

Pappas3278, Patanoia, rcsrich and 2 others like this.
  15. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

im waiting for Lovano to drop to a reasonable price

bgod and soundboi like this.
  16. ShamPain

Same. I went ahead and pre-ordered the Hill and Moncur, tho.

17. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

Both essential titles, if i didnt have the MMJ45s id buy them, im not a double dipper.

ShamPain likes this.
  18. ShamPain

I knew I would get both, and probably pre-order both (altho my pre-order experiences haven't been great lately), happy to have a little bonus. Both are highly anticipated for me, because I've only heard them via streaming. Passing Ships is one of my favorites in the TP series so far, so I'm hoping Point of Departure will be the same in the BNC series.

Swordsandchains likes this.
  19. drpmc130

drpmc130 Forum Resident

I have a question for everyone that owns the Blue note Classic series and the Blues Note 80's. Are they the same series? I ask because I own all of the 80's and current classic and I use Discogs keep track of my collection. Lately someone has been charging the 80's to the Classic Series Blue Note Classic Vinyl Series . As you can see Larry Young Unity is in this collection and Blue Note 80 Vinyl Reissue Series t. I guess I'm kinda anal about these things and was wondering if tis is correct or should be 2 different series?

20. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

They basically rebranded BN80 as Blue Note Classics after the 80th year was up.

21. Marko K

Marko K Forum Resident

If you have all the 80-s you have probably noticed that they mostly have the "80" hype sticker and the newer ones re-pressed in the Classic Series do not.

22. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

I wouldn't consider them to be the same. Even though the records are pretty much the same regarding mastering, pressing plant and jackets, the series were named differently and the hype stickers are different so I don't think that makes sense. That should be reverted back to what it was.

23. keylime_5

keylime_5 Forum Resident

It's a continuation of the same series, but they have different names and hype stickers, since the 80th Anniversary is only one year. The BN80s tend to be B-tier Blue Note titles. Blue Note Classics Series has more A-List titles incorporated.

24. Hankenstein

Hankenstein Forum Resident

Also the 80s series included only titles that were not part of the 75th anniversary series, whereas the classic series repeats some of the 75th anniversary titles, but in 80s series quality.

25. drpmc130

drpmc130 Forum Resident

I agree Looks like saner heads have prevailed and they moved them out of the classic series.