Blue Note "Classic Vinyl Reissue Series" - 2020 and beyond...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Briskit, Oct 23, 2020.

1. Dougthesnail

Dougthesnail The Big Gabagool

With aftermarket prices try between $125-$200 more.

keylime_5 likes this.
  2. Briskit

Briskit “I don’t know karate, but I know ka-razy!” Thread Starter

Alternatively - you could sell 1 x MM and probably afford the first 6 Classic titles.

Sneezyachew and YEX 750-1 like this.
  3. Briskit

Briskit “I don’t know karate, but I know ka-razy!” Thread Starter

Obviously didn’t watch the debate.
    “Everything’s going to be fine.”
    :confused:

Vic Trola and DeRosa like this.
  4. keylime_5

keylime_5 Forum Resident

Yeah no kidding. I could sell my Speak No Evil SRX and buy most of these

5. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Right. I was thinking that. But also thinking that the audio quality seems to be just a notch below MM and Tone Poet releases.

6. AnalogJ

Honestly, those sleeves carry a lot of weight for me, both literally as well as figuratively. The impressiveness of holding that cover in my hand; and I love looking at the photos inside.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
  7. bridgeless

bridgeless Forum Resident

Me too, honestly. Even just having the nice wide spines on the gatefolds makes me more likely to pull the MMs and TPs off my jazz shelf. I’d gladly pay extra for those covers on this new series. But I’m glad we’re getting more titles either way.

8. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

Really not too sure why people are surprised that these are the same as the BN80. They’re even on the same page as the BN80 series on the BN website, it has been officially renamed the Blue Note 80 Classics Reissues series. I think BN saw how many copies of those they were selling, and realized that LOTS of people are willing to spend under 30 bucks for a budget yet good quality reissue. These are not meant for the same crowd as the $75 Music Maters people. These are for people who maybe can’t afford those, or maybe can’t justify the cost of buying them on the secondhand market. I said this over in the new Acoustic Sounds Verve series thread, but these are titles that NEED to be in print in all analogue form available to everyone, not just the wealthy and the high end audiophile. Don’t like the jackets? Don’t buy them. Again if they don’t appeal to you, it’s probably because you aren’t the target demographic. These are great replacements for the badly done BN75 series. As a matter of fact, some of these titles, that’s the only versions that are affordable and they are quite frankly garbage compared to this series.

9. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I dunno , granted my ears may not be as finely tuned as some of you but Kevin is a damn good cook and he has worked with a lot of chefs, experts ( our host steve , Joe Harley, Ron etc) and I cant Imagine that he doesnt know how to replicate the generally agreed upon best recipe -Music Matters- and while I am cynical , I cant imagine that he would intentionally dumb down the sound for marketing/ label politics . This new series should sound as good as MM unless tape gradations or other tech issues intrude.
    Just sayin

Aeryn Sun, mikemoon, Xulio and 5 others like this.
  10. Dougthesnail

Dougthesnail The Big Gabagool

I'm very curious about Blue Notes decision to be so dead on the $20 price point. Don Was has said they were targeting the same price for BN75, I suppose their marketing data & sales figures back it up? Granted $20 is an absolute steal for the customer but does the casual record buyer really care if their $20 record is AAA or not?

waaguirr likes this.
  11. AnalogJ

Stu, mastering is not the only ingredient to making a great pressing. Kevin did many of the MM reissues as well, but the BN80s sound a notch below the MM quality. Plating, lacquers, vinyl compound used - they can contribute to the sound.

For example, many of the UK Island label records pressed in thy UK sound far superior to their US counterparts, even though both used the same mastering and same Sterling lacquers.

nosliw and Stu02 like this.
  12. AnalogJ

But they might get into how good the record sounds, particularly as they upgrade their system.

Stu02 likes this.
  13. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

Great news! May pick up a few of these for a 33 version of a 45 I already have. I’m really happy that people will get AAA versions of these albums and not have to deal with spending a ton for the MMJ or AP (or originals)

I still think the MMJ and AP will hold their value, much like the originals didn’t take a dive when MMJ came out, but anything that gets this music in more people’s hands is good for everyone.

14. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I was just telling my wife how Don with no label experience winded up running this label and caught on to the magic of Music Matters almost immediately, recognized the value in it and Then set about Creating a series of reissues of not just the classics but reissues that celebrated the full depth and range of this great historic label - hiring the best in the business -but also recognizing that if its not reaching the kids the future is nothing. Its astonishing really. In some ways perhaps even influencing the course of jazz musics relationship with the general public in a way that hasnt been seen in decades or more. The 20 buck price point will bring the kids in and thats great for the future of jazz. And theres enough information online out there now that I think the quality of the sound is not lost on all of these youngsters...
    ( sorry Im prone to hyperbole but I hope you take my point)
    Edit. There are some kids who wont care about the sound and at 20 bucks they will buy it anyways but for those kids that do , having Blue Note be associated with Quality sound can only bring long term repetitional benefits IMHO

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
  15. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Despite the lesser, no-frills packaging (compared to TP and MMJ), you really can’t complain about these “classic” Blue Note titles getting the AAA treatment at a budget price.

I mean, come on, keep ‘em coming!

“If you get confused listen to the music play”

Aeryn Sun, Jay Bob, mikemoon and 5 others like this.
  16. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

You may very well be right Jeff , my ears tell me that I cant really hear that level of nuance and Im not sure if thats a blessing or a curse o_O

17. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Just be glad that these are being mastered by KG. Thats really what counts. Good mastering.

mikemoon likes this.
  18. AnalogJ

Yes, and nonetheless, for whatever reasons, these don't seem to quite match the exalted level of the MMs. Compared to everything else, and for the price, they are still excellent.

19. LPhound15

LPhound15 Forum Resident

Why no blue train? The only version widely available is the mediocre 75th. That said I’m glad for these less reissued versions to get their due, but we really need a better quality issue of this title, available new for purchase

jewelsnbinoculars likes this.
  20. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Next year I am sure it will be there.

LPhound15 likes this.
  21. Quakerism

Quakerism Lean into what frightens you.

This is good marketing for Blue Note. It keeps the BN80 series as a separate line with distinct differences. It is true to the original packaging. It focuses on the expanded sales opportunity of the recordings which are generally highly regarded and offers good quality at a global market seeking budget entry level prices. How could they go wrong when they are not only appealing to the new jazz collectors but to audiophiles who already own higher priced copies of the exact same product? It’s genius. They are going to make a killing. Well done!

22. Sneezyachew

Sneezyachew Forum Resident

Threw 5 up at a time as a “lot” for auction. Went for about 100 each time. Don’t ask me.

23. Starquest

Starquest ‎ ‎ ‎

In theory all this could have happened the first time around instead requiring a do-over. Seems they learned their lesson with URP. But I'll take it!

24. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

This was Dons decision after he came on board

25. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

Less than two months to go before all kinds of complaints about warbling and other mastering issues. Can't wait. :edthumbs:

Don P., Jay Bob, waaguirr and 7 others like this.