Blue Note "Classic Vinyl Reissue Series" - 2020 and beyond...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Briskit, Oct 23, 2020.

1. Yeah it is audible over speakers as well. Never jumped out at me on previous listens but now will likely never unhear it.

astro70 likes this.
  2. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Sounds like Song For My Father would be a great candidate for the plangent process.

3. Plangent was used on the MMJ45

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  4. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Its on it also I believe. And the stream.

5. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Right, should have used it on this BNC.

6. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

I'm not sure the cost would justify it for a $20 reissue, unfortunately.

7. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

I’m glad they didn’t use Plangent. This is a AAA series and that would be the wrong path to ever go down.

I think this new version of SFMF is perfectly enjoyable overall. The title track is a little wobbly and “Calcutta Cutie” is really wobbly, but the rest of it sounds very much decent.

Besides, we know from experience that most people can’t hear pitch fluctuations anyway. I don’t understand how that can be, but it is just one of those weird phenomenons.

They’d be crazy to use a digital step and put that idea in people’s heads, as part of their whole schtick with this series is the analog sound.

8. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Probably not.

9. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Maybe one day theyll do another digital series on cd well mastered and use the process. Doubt that also though.

jamiehowarth likes this.
  10. That can be a curse for some. Enjoying records fir years, even decades and then directed towards a slight aberration, mis note or out of tune instrument and then bam. It’s there forever

Greenmonster2420 likes this.
  11. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

So it sounds like "Sidewinder" is the darling of this series so far?

12. Hicks

Hicks Forum Resident

Absolutely! I’ve enjoyed all of them so far, but it’s the only one that has completely knocked my socks off.

Ironically it’s the only one I already had a MMJ copy of, just my luck.

kt66brooklyn and mpayan like this.
  13. Hicks

Hicks Forum Resident

Agreed, the resulting product would probably be superior, but they would indeed be “crazy” to offend the sensibilities of the analog purists.

14. PATB

PATB Recovering Vinyl Junkie

Lonely Woman is way worst on the MMJ SRX than on the MMJ45 (I really have to listen to hear the distortion on the MMJ45). Because I am not a fan of 45s, I was thinking of getting the BNC as a replacement for my SRX but am now disappointed that Blue Note apparently did not fix Lonely Woman (with digital means or otherwise) for the BNC release.

15. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

But how vivid and communicative their playing gets altered by the mastering and pressing.

What if I were an engineer who compressed the dynamics out of the recording. Do you think the performances would be as exciting?

What if Ron Carter's bass (or whoever was playing) suddenly had greater low extension, had more pluck, had better pitch definition, and was more rhythmically taut and precise. Do you think that would change the feel of the music for the better?

How about listening through your smartphone's speakers? Would that change your experience and appreciation of the music?

The better the system and the better the pressing, the more exciting and involving the performances become. Music is not just the forward moving of notes. How notes are played, whether they're bent, pulled, pushed, blown full out or pulled back, which alters the tonality, are all better revealed through better pressings and better systems.

It's why none of us here are listening to these records primarily on shortwave radios.

We all love the music. But we know that the exact same music can affect us a lot more or a lot less, depending on how we are listening to it.

So many here already have some of this music. They want to know whether these new pressings are better, the same, or worse than what the copies they already own.

Or for me, in the case of the AP Helen Merrill, an album I hadn't heard at all, was the AP the one to get? I saw some mixed reviews here, and then someone recommended a reissue on Trip Records. It's excellent, and it doesn't have the warbling issue the AP has.

16. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Tim1954 said ' "Lonely Woman" sounds better on the BNC than the SRX. It's not even remotely close.'

PATB likes this.
  17. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

It's there on the BNC, but not nearly as audible. You may want to re-consider, although the two loud pops people are reporting (including me) are a whole other issue.

PATB likes this.
  18. brimuchmuze

In the Tone Poet Series , Gil Evan's New Bottle Old Wine also had a bad pop that was common across pressings. I returned my copy. Eventually I believe it was fixed on a re-press.

My copy of SFMF doesn't arrive until Sunday, hopefully no pops.

19. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

Here’s a review from 45 Audiophile. He likes the Classic versions and thinks BN did a very good job. He compares both releases to the MMJ ones and obviously likes those better but believes there’s less of a difference with Speak No Evil than Song for My Father. He also makes a reference to the discussion here around the 3:26 mark.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
    Biff Jones, kt66brooklyn and sway61 like this.
  20. Fractured

Fractured Forum Resident

My apologies, @Tim1954! You are quite right. I had SNE on the brain from the other posts and didn't read the song titles closely enough.

A valid point, then! However, the entire set was released on Jan 1, 2019, so the masterings had to have completed in 2018, perhaps before the "troubles".

21. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

Yeah, it’s hard to say for sure.

All I can say is that the MMJ 45 doesn’t have the speed problems on “Lonely Woman” that the SRX had. And the SRX was mastered around the time period when this issue started being a frequent issue with stuff mastered by KG. But a different source tape may have been used for the SRX anyway. Maybe one without so much trouble on the title track?

Anyway, sans the mild mic overload (which is there anyway), and two pops, the BNC has a very good sounding “Lonely Woman.” Speed is pretty darned stable. Such a beautiful piece of music.

GentleSenator and PATB like this.
  22. Any Canadians buying these? If so, do you go through Blue Note directly- if so, any duty charges? If not, Amazon?

23. brimuchmuze

Hard to explain though? SNE has a smaller difference between BNC and SRX, SFMF a bigger difference. KG at the helm for everything.

It's kind of academic for most of us, given that the SRX go for huge sums.

Bravo Blue Note for this series!

malfano and Dai like this.
  24. brimuchmuze

Just Amazon for me (Montrealer). Great prices if you pre-order, and no hassle returns if there are defects.

25. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

On my second Speak No Evil that is pressed off center on Side One. Sounds off at the end of the record. I guess I'll keep the better one for now and the other goes back to Amazon. Anyone else notice this?