Blue Note "Classic Vinyl Reissue Series" - 2020 and beyond...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Briskit, Oct 23, 2020.

1. Marko K

Marko K Forum Resident

I noticed yesterday on the very first BN80 (Dexter Gordon) that the record isnt actually off-center, but the centre hole is a little too big which might cause some swaying if I dont put the record at the very center myself. I think thats a first to me.

2. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

Would a record clamp help?

3. Marko K

Marko K Forum Resident

If I put the record dead center, all is fine. Its actually even possible to play the large hole 45-s without the adapter that way. Do you think it might damage the stylus?

4. amazon.ca
    The price is more reasonable with the earlier pre-order as it will increase about 30-50% after release. If the early reviews are poor, just cancel prior to shipping. Check the 'Just Announced' weekly, I'd suggest.

nosliw, audiolab1 and bliss44 like this.
  5. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

You should probably ask the stylus question in the Audio Forum.

6. Vibrolux_Reverb

Vibrolux_Reverb Forum Resident

They really all are imo. I think all 4 sound great and even though the Real McCoy doesn't sound as good as the others, it is musically my favorite and has gotten the most spins. A wonderful release.

FashionBoy, Eric_B and Dai like this.
  7. Dai

Dai Note to self: listen to Clifford Brown more often

And I'd put Speak No Evil on a par with Sidewinder, sonically, perhaps. Musically, for me: SNE, McCoy, Sidewinder... glad to have them all.

Sidewinder is another where the late 90s issue is excellent, too. Full disclosure though, until BN80s, Tone Poets and BNCs almost all my BNs were 90s reissues, just one 80s DMM, a couple of Kings and a Toshiba in addition. Never even heard an original, Liberty, UA, etc. Maybe I'd find them all at least 'very good' and it's just about degrees :whistle:

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
  8. audiolab1

audiolab1 Forum Resident

Thanks for that tip...I had no idea you could search pre-orders on Amazon.ca!

Geee! and bliss44 like this.
  9. Alright - this is the way to go for me out here in the wilds of the BC interior. I just bought a turntable (Denon DP300F) for the first time since the 80s. We inherited my wife's parents' old collection, which is full of country albums of varying quality (musically and sonically). I've been diligently listening, but there's only so much a man can take. I've got a pretty extensive jazz collection on CD, but am missing about half of what's being released in this series, so why not get them all ... two a month, I can handle, and hey - you need to start at the beginning, so paying a few bucks more for Sidewinder, McCoy, etc. I can handle. Between buying those and a VMP subscription, I should be set for a bringing some vinyl into the home that I'll actually listen to and enjoy.

Eamon, Geee!, Eric_B and 2 others like this.
  10. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

RedCat Records in Vancouver is my local source, they've been within a dollar or two of the pre-order price on Amazon.
    I tend to order from both regularly.

bliss44 likes this.
  11. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

bliss44 likes this.
  12. scott0111

scott0111 Well-Known Member

anyone have any idea when more sidewinders will be made available ?

MikeJedi and Geee! like this.
  13. challenge

challenge Forum Resident

I think it is going to be a while as they have a release schedule already set up through I believe the next 6-8 months.

All the plants are having a hard enough time being able to get through those releases so I bet it will be late this year or next year

I've told myself if I want any of these releases best to preorder

bluejimbop and Sneezyachew like this.
  14. Go to the MUSIC page, and to the top left side you will see the categories for JUST ANNOUNCED (usually in the past couple weeks) & for PRE-ORDERS

audiolab1 likes this.
  15. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

Very excited to get my first BNC, Speak No Evil. I have nice copies already of the albums that have been released so far but SNE is my favorite BN of all time and thus one of the few records I will buy multiple pressings of for fun.

I have the MM45, mono and stereo OG’s from Plastylite and now the BNC.
    Just spun its first listen and the pressing sounds great! I think I like it better than the 45, it sounds a little punchier to me but still beautiful and clear, full of the detail that KG blue notes are famous for.

My disc is jusssst shy of totally flat but it has no effect. There’s no non fill or scratches or distortions at all, plays quiet. While this is my favorite album from the label, I don’t think it’s RVG’s greatest recording, mostly because the bass kind of sounds farther away than the other instruments. Folding to mono mitigates this by adding ~6db of bass and piano, which is probably how RVG intended the mix to be. That said, I listened in stereo and was thrilled at the clarity and incredible music.

While the LP is familiar to many, if it isn’t to you I’d say this is essential and to run and get one of these great sounding BNC pressings. The writing and playing are so original and mind blowing. Herbie especially takes flight on Shorter’s weird (yet accessible) chord changes like he was born to play them, as Wayne was born to write them. His solo on Dance Cadaverous is maybe the best bars Herbie ever put to tape, getting goosebumps just writing about it. Everyone takes virtuoso turns on the songs which are pure Shorter at his best.

I for one am very excited by this series especially if they all sound this good. For me it’s a nice thing that great sounding AAA vinyl doesn’t have to necessarily be wedded to deluxe, limited edition, luxury items etc exclusively. I respect those who are into that and I appreciate the work that goes into the product but I just never cared too much personally. SNE should be in the hands of as many people as possible in a great sounding edition, so go get one now!

For design fans- here is the bnc next to the original edition, taken w my phone. I’m not sure if the BNC has a darker blue or if the old record has just lightened w age. You can tell from the “white” part on the 60s copy that isn’t quite white anymore. I think the BNC graphics look nice.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
  16. challenge

challenge Forum Resident

Wow listening to Speak No Evil this is the first time I have heard this album. It is flat out amazing and my copy sounds incredible.

I have this and Sidewinder. While I'm supposed to pick up Song For My Father tomorrow. Never had heard any of them until now.

I'll I have to say is Blue Note has me hooked

17. SteveCam

SteveCam Forum Resident

Just pre order on Amazon.ca for $32. You won't get them as soon as they are released but you will get them at the cheapest price possible. I haven't missed Tone Poet, Verve Acoustic Sound, BN80 or the BN Classic that I have ordered. Do your pre order and sit back and wait, listening to your current collection.

bliss44 and nosliw like this.
  18. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

I bought one from Plaid Room on Monday.

Maybe they still have some.

19. shawnwes

shawnwes Forum Resident

My copy arrived today and have to with agree with Mugrug12. Great album but the bass can be a little thin at times but it is what it is. My pressing is perfect.

[​IMG]

Mugrug12 and Lucca90 like this.
  20. Hicks

Hicks Forum Resident

If anyone was holding off on the BN80 Kenny Dorham Una Mas it’s back in stock for $17 on Amazon right now.

21. shawnwes

shawnwes Forum Resident

$33 north of the 49th :sigh:. I have a copy but wouldn't mind a b/u if cheap enough.

22. Hicks

Hicks Forum Resident

Yeah international orders are all messed up right now. Loaded a LP on a German website into my cart last night and shipping to the US was 20 Euros, nope.

23. Tom Hakala

Tom Hakala Forum Resident

Just got Speak No Evil. One word: fantastic!

24. challenge

challenge Forum Resident

Well I played My Song For My Father last night and I was expected to be let down after reading about the tape issues.

I also thought no way could it be as good as Speak No Evil and Sidewinder which I owned.

I was interested in the material mainly because I heard that Steely Dan kind of lifted the sound for Rikki Don't Lose That Number from the title song

Man all I have to say is I was not let down at all it sounds incredible and it was so cool to hear were Steely got their influence for that coolness in their sound.

Horace Silver just makes it all feel so easy on this album just a magnificent achievement it flows with beauty. Joe Henderson is excellent on it also.

I feel like I'm a lucky listener to be getting these albums and getting an American education on jazz. What a great thing Blue Note is doing for us that are new to their sound. Giving us the opportunity to purchase these at under $25 and being AAA. The sound on all three I own has been great and I can't imagine listening any other way

25. Levi's Tubs

Levi's Tubs Less cool than West Coast

Kind of lifted? :)

jdrueke, Pelts, kt66brooklyn and 3 others like this.