Blue Note LP originals. Why the record $ highs with all new reissues?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RelayerNJ, Jan 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident Thread Starter

It seems that original Blue Note LPs have been fetching even bigger numbers on Ebay despite all the new reissues coming out over the last few years. Why? Thoughts?

2. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Because they're originals, and they're only getting older and more rare.

Ash76, aoxomoxoa, Cassius and 2 others like this.
  3. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Think they always will. The majority of the diehard BN fans are a fierce bunch. Reissues will never be the same to them as the original. Eventhough the MM and AP series havs great sound to many, others have the sound of the originals forever planted in their minds. Ive read some quotes from BN collectors in which they do not like the sound of the reissues. Even when they sound incredible. Some of the hard core guys dont get the stereo issues that theyve always heard in mono. Its close to blasphemy to them it would seem. The japanese market (I still assume its a huge base) also jacks the prices way up. Beatle collectors dont have anything on a hard core Blue Noter..it would seem.

Glad Im late to the jazz scene and dont "collect".

4. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident Thread Starter

Good point. Europe too is big BN collectors (from what I've sold).

5. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

No doubt. Im far from an expert. There are a few expert jazz guys here at SHF that probably can give more indepth reasons.

6. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Its not about jazz or the type of music on the LP. Its about having an original. They were never produced in large numbers. And demand exceeds availability.

mpayan likes this.
  7. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

There is probably a scientific explanation as to how spending the type of money it costs to collect Blue Notes causes the hearing in the collector to function this way.

Canadian, 2xUeL, seed_drill and 4 others like this.
  8. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

lol maybe so.

9. JazzLife

JazzLife Well-Known Member

If you are collecting in any area, the original authentic version in the best possible shape, and that costs money. BN collectors don't want a 45rpm version of an album that was only issued in 33 1/3, or mastered by individuals other than the original (mostly Rudy Van Gelder), no matter how fine the remastering is. Getting a revamped sound rather than the sound it had when issued in a non-starter. Anyway, as has been mentioned, this all costs money. But compare it to many other fields of collectibles, BN still are relatively affordable (try collecting vintage cars, original paintings, or even rare books, etc).

10. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

My guess would be with the resurgence of vinyl over the past decade we now have a new generation of audiophiles/music lovers/ record collectors who are really into jazz. And have money to spend on premium collectables.

11. Wally Swift

I wish my old friend Red was still with us. I'd give him a call about this. A Jazz collector and dealer for over 40 years he told me many a story of jazz record collecting and I remember he spoke frequently about BN collectors and their ways. Problem is at the time I was looking for Byard Lancaster private issues and tuned out a lot of the BN info.

More on Red;

http://jazzcollector.com/features/adventures-in-jazz-collecting-red-carraro-part-1/

action pact likes this.
  12. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I think the word "collecting" is the keyword. I use to collect albums and posters long ago. Sound didnt really matter. It was a first pressing original is what mattered. Thats the difference in what I am about now as far as music. I dont collect. I listen. And I want the best sound quality. That may be a reel to reel or might be a DVD-A. I do understand the mindset of collecting. But music, imo, is unlike most things. You cant listen to a poster.

There are "collectors" and then there are audiophiles. And then there are the really crazies..the audiophile/collectors!

Thurenity likes this.
  13. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Neat site! Thanks!

14. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

Collectors mentality.

15. Wally Swift

action pact likes this.
  16. JazzLife

BTW, I should point out that I'm not a collector myself. As Seinfeld would say, "Not that there's anything wrong with that."

2xUeL likes this.
  17. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Nope, not knocking collectors either. Thats their bag and to each their own :)

18. JMCIII

JMCIII Music lover first, audiophile second.

Why don't we ask Ron Rambach....... He's not only got most (if not all) original Blue Notes, but he can say why too.

19. JazzLife

As Tolstoy said: Happy families are all alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way. Same goes for collectors ;)

20. JMCIII

JMCIII Music lover first, audiophile second.

For mast collectors of vintage vinyl, it's more about the particular label and the music than the sound. So all the reissues - even ones as good as the Music Matters - aren't original, therefore not collectible.

RelayerNJ likes this.
  21. slayerhatesusall

slayerhatesusall Well-Known Member

Most of them are rare and hard to get and a lot of collectors want the originals, the only blue note I have is pretty common and cheap, Donald byrd- Stepping into tomorrow, very good album though.

22. PopularChuck

PopularChuck Senior Member

Kinda like buying high-end audio gear.

JMCIII likes this.
  23. John Doe

John Doe Senior Member

Prices of tangible stuff like art, cars have skyrocketed, it only figures the insanity would include this stuff too......

24. bilgewater

bilgewater Forum Resident

Jazz collector.com, noted above, is the place to study eBay auction prices for original BNs that go into the thousands. Three thousand USD seems to be the top tier. I've never met one of these collectors in person, but when I asked Fred Cohen of the great jazz record center in NYC he said that the highest end BN buyers were all over the world.

You can't take it with you when you die, so you'd need very careful estate planning so that your children or loved ones know how to sell off these rarities on the world market and get a high price. Just imagine the estate sale with a clueless seller.... In a sense valuable artwork (if small) makes for better heirlooms and memories. Unless, miracle of miracles, the deep love for classic hardbop and postbop on vinyl actually passes from one generation to the next. I think about a lot as I figure out how to deaccession most of my collection rather than lugging it around or giving thousands of albums to the Salvation Army....

25. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

Because people have more money than common sense!

I used to be one of these guys, until I realized what a giant waste of time, money and resources it was. Really, it's a huge time sink, and it's not even about the music for some of them. It's about the rarity of owning an original artifact. A good friend of mine has a bunch of original pressings that he doesn't play because they are too precious and doesn't want to risk damaging expensive records. So what is the point? Are they just decoration? He has a shelf worth of records that could probably put someone through law school. I just don't get someone buying a bunch of expensive records that they don't intend to play. I stopped trying to understand it a long time ago. Live and let live I suppose, but these cats are wacky. I mean, they are spending 4 grand on Hank Mobley records. It doesn't matter how wealthy you are, there is a screw loose when you spend that kind of money on one record. That said, I am very glad these people exist. I sold them my original pressings. :D

izgoblin, Robin L, mpayan and 7 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.