Blue Note LP originals. Why the record $ highs with all new reissues?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RelayerNJ, Jan 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

I guess I was referring to the really high priced ones. Do you have anything worth several thousands, and if so, would you sell it at a certain price?

2. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

I have a few records that worth 1,000.00+. Yeah I would sell at a certain price but that price would be ridiculously above market value. So I'm not sure if that counts. Some of my records are almost certainly irreplaceable and that would include all of the ones I would expect to get 4 figures for. You would have to offer me a life changing amount of money to get me to sell them. But I would sell them for such an offer.

3. Scott Wheeler

That sucks!!!! I can see how such bad experiences can sour anyone on any hobby

4. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I don't really think that sucks and I can't say I'm soured on "collecting." It's just that now I let it be someone else's bidness. Losing those 78s the way I did struck me as a lesson on the transience of all materially manifest things. I've had all of Yardbird's Dial and Savoy sides on LPs and CDs but I think I've played them enough myself. KFSR plays a Dial or Savoy side every day or two. And I still have my 'Clef' copy of "Night & Day." Not having all that stuff opens up more room for other things in my life.

5. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

Yeah, you do kind of fall between my categories, though probably lean more towards collector. Such analysis always oversimplifies and there are always exceptions.

Anyway, it's just for a fun discussion and is all speculation.

6. Scott Wheeler

I thought your breakdown was interesting and if I were doing some sort of market analysis I would try to do the same thing

7. JazzLife

JazzLife Well-Known Member

I think it important to differentiate between buying, collecting, and hoarding. Most people buy what they like at the moment; they are causal listeners and music lovers. Collectors are focused and driven; they shape what they buy into definable groups (collections) that they study and discuss with others (SH board, etc). Hoarders have burst through the shaping quality of collecting and start to amass just about all and everything that comes their way. They ware swamped by their objects but keep going. Fear of death? Maybe, that's a neat Freudian explanation. I think it is also possible that by amassing huge quantities they are trying to build defensible boundaries around themselves and their lives. Having more protects you from the vicissitudes of life--at least in their minds. These b=groups are fungible; buyers become collectors, collectors become hoarders, hoarders become--? Well, it only seems to work one way.

2xUeL likes this.
  8. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I was hesitant to say anything because of the embarassment factor. But maybe it will save someone else some cash if I also add my 2 cents on Bobs auctions.

Many years ago I got the jones for an original Dusty In Memphis and bid on it on "bobdjucik"'s auction. I paid a pretty penny for what I thought was a near mint item. His description was way detailed (as they are now). Lets just say I wouldnt go by much the guy says as far as condition of lps. Mine was NOT ANYWHERE near NM. Not sure which lp he was describing but it wasnt the one I received.

After two or three times of being burnt by guys like that...I changed my way of thinking.

My opinion: Stay far away from this fellows auctions.

Back to BN discussion..

9. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Interesting psycho-babble analysis, although all people are going to die and all people are trying to build defensible boundaries around their lives in one way or another, it would seem to me. You could explain any human behavior with reference to some vague Freudian concept: I read a book recently that attempted to explain collecting as compensation for an absent childhood mother figure: well, which is it? An attempt to cheat death, compensation for an absent mother, or an attempt to build defensible boundaries around oneself?

At its core there has to be an interest in the thing collected: some people apparently collect stamps: to me, stamps are something you put on a letter so it gets to its destination, and they have no intrinsic value other than that, so are stamp collectors trying to cheat death? I don't know, maybe they just think that the pictures on stamps are pretty. Blue Note records also have pretty pictures on their covers, as well as some of the greatest music ever recorded. No wonder people collect them.

10. antielectrons

antielectrons Well-Known Member

Interesting comments everyone.. My pet theory about collectors is just that, a pet theory. I am sure reality is far more complex. More Gestalt than Freud. :)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  11. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

thanks for this, did you discuss this with Bob? Or just gave him negative feedback? I'm not defending him but I want to know.

12. dogpile

dogpile Generation X record spinner.

Collectors of anything are purists, passionate and perhaps suffer from OCD who loves whatever it is that they collect.

Be it art, furniture, cars and even vinyl records. They don't want reproductions and will pay through the nose to get that original piece at any cost.

Plain and simple

RelayerNJ likes this.
  13. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident Thread Starter

Don't feel too bad. Someone paid $102.50 for Supertramp's "Even in the Quietest Moments". That's a $1 record.

antielectrons likes this.
  14. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

We had several emails back and forth. He basically took an indignant insulted attitude towards me. I really am not one to slam sellers. I have sold on ebay and been on the other end of the issue so it wasnt a matter of some anal buyer being a PIA.

I did not give any feedback. It was the days of "Oh yeah, you give me crappy feedback.. here is some for you also". So I just let it go as a lesson learned and was much more careful in my dealings with sellers on ebay.

15. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Yes and I think his site has became wackier since I dealt with him. I think I paid 150$ for the Dusty. If it had been as described I would have been satisfied. Hard to find in true NM shape then or now. And, I admit, I wasnt a very smart or patient buyer in my early lp days.

If we had only had the option of the great 45RPM version back then! So ultimately its Kevin's fault :D

16. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Hank Mobley 1568. Such a great record. Reissued multiple times. Such a crazy thing it's going for $3k.

17. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Sckott, do you know what the best sounding reissue is of this title?

18. Scott Wheeler

As a collector I have to say that does not describe me at all. A lot of the things I collect *are* in effect reproductions. I'm not OCD....

19. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident Thread Starter

Ya. The next sale, I need to snag that 45. I hope you got your money back from this guy.

20. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

These records used be very common at thrift stores when the reissues were coming out in the 90s.The copies I found were for the most part,unplayed,or close to it.
    I love vinyl.I love classical music as much as I love vinyl.I own a record collection that numbers in the five figures,about half is classical.I especially like the early pre-1956 LPs,and the electrical 78s.Mono, and tubes.Jazz,not so much.Dumped my jazz years ago,and never looked back.It included lots of classic yellow deep groove Prestige,rare early Pacific Jazz,Debut Mingus,yadda yadda yadda.I have a huge,huge collection of rare and desirable rock,Soul/R&B,classic country,etc,but more's the time I would rather reach for a 1951 ffrr Ernest Anermet Schuman Symphony,or a 1953 Westminster Baryilli Quartet than my green WB Astral Weeks,or my UK Pink Floyd albums.I only wish there were more vinyl lovers who felt this way.You have no idea how sad it makes me there isn't.Once you have heard a pristine 50s mono Mercury,London,Westminster,or plum dog RCA through a 50s/early 60s tube amp,there is no way you would go back to SACD.

21. Manalishi

Manalishi With the 2-pronged crown

22. 2xUeL

2xUeL Forum Philosopher

True, but that doesn't mean these records aren't or won't be revered as works of art or even masterpieces of a new breed of art, a consumer medium of art where there wasn't just one made but originals in collectible condition are still very scare. Alfred Lion, Francis Wolff, Reid Miles, Rudy Van Gelder, and all the musicians were all painting masterpieces produced in relatively small runs.

JMCIII likes this.
  23. 2xUeL

2xUeL Forum Philosopher

Loved the end of that

24. 2xUeL

2xUeL Forum Philosopher

You seem to have in your mind, btf, an idea of what "fine art" is, and you seem to have made an understandable dstinction between fine art and vintage records. Vintage jazz records in general are amazing historical and cultural artifacts, but if we get right down to it, there is something special about those Blue Notes. Hundreds of years from now, I think that above all the various types of records there are from the foregone decades of vinyl, those are the ones that will be studied and praised.

25. 2xUeL

2xUeL Forum Philosopher

Again, it makes sense that most people don't think of these records as fine art. Most people didn't think Andy Warhol made art and lots of people still don't think he is an artist. It's a matter of definition for one. But regardless of what is and is not fine art, I strongly believe these records will be adored and coveted for a long time in the same way that fine art is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.