Blue Note Tone Poet Represses?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Taylor VanRoekel, Aug 11, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Taylor VanRoekel

Taylor VanRoekel Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've been loving the tone poet series (like everyone else) but am increasingly stymied by a few titles that I really want. In particular, The Kicker by Bobby Hutcherson, Nigeria by Grant Green, and Minor Move by Tina Brooks.

Any rumors in the mill as to whether or not these titles will see a second run?

T

2. Frangox

Frangox Forum Resident

Sorry if this has been asked already...but...have any new Tone Poet's been scheduled for release? Lots of proposed titles....but it appears as though the last two scheduled are for November 2021. And one other question....is the Classic Collection finished in 2021? Thanks!

3. RickyPacific

RickyPacific Member

I have been checking for Nigeria almost weekly in hop s for a repress. Resale prices on that one are just outrageous! Here’s to hoping!

4. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

The separate Tone Poet thread seems the place for updates on repressings and what’s in the pipeline (similarly that on the Classic series, where some repressing does seem underway).

5. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

Good question- came late to the game and would love to see represses of both series. You would think that a label would be keen to sell more of titles that sold out quickly. Granted, with the pressing plants backed up, it’s a balance between repressing previous releases and getting new releases out.

6. gss

gss Forum Resident

I'm curious about whether they are planning on represses or not, too.

Maybe we snoozed and loozed.

7. Coltrane811

Coltrane811 Forum Resident

The Verve Acoustic Sounds, Blue Note Classic, and Tone Poet series will all see represses. Not much, if any, Tone Poet has been repressed yet but it has been stated, many times, officially that none of the titles will go OOP. It is just a waiting game right now, especially as titles are selling out even before street date.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  8. Frangox

Frangox Forum Resident

I would not be too sure of that.......and if any are repressed you are looking at years until you may see them. The collectibility of analog audiophile vinyl has surpassed the time it takes to press records. Backlogs of vinyl with an anticipated release will be pressed first. Those that were previously pressed last year or even three years ago may never
    be repressed. That's why you buy immediately!

9. Frangox

Frangox Forum Resident

Yes you did!

10. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

The represses are likely to be at least six months to a year after the original. AP Coltrane just repressed by QRP after a year or more. Could be even longer for less in demand titles. RTI are likely going to prioritise major label big sellers for the time being. I think every plant must be churning out Adele and Abba at present.

Taylor VanRoekel likes this.
  11. Kumocat

Kumocat Jazz Cat

Best guess is that the focus for next year will be to continue the current list. With maybe a reissue or two in between, but in these times they do not have the luxury to do this.

As much as I'm also waiting for the titles as mentioned in the OP.

Taylor VanRoekel likes this.
  12. bresna

bresna Senior Member

Joe Harley told me that the Tone Poet LPs are not limited editions. They will be repressed but the LP production chain is being affected like everything these days.

Take it from someone who tried buying tires a few days ago. I couldn't find many that would fit my car.

13. scotpagel

scotpagel Forum Resident

Received this email just now:

Chet Baker Sings: Blue Note Tone Poet Series (180g Vinyl LP) has been discontinued and will not be available any time soon.

14. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

Sad face…:(

15. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

doesn’t this kind of defeat the whole purpose what they were allegedly trying to do with tone poet?

16. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

From where?

17. scotpagel

scotpagel Forum Resident

Sorry from Music Direct

18. scotpagel

scotpagel Forum Resident

Me too, been on back ordered since early 2020

19. Frangox

Frangox Forum Resident

Not sure if any prior Tone Poets will ever be repressed.....they have to keep up with the series and the pandemic really threw a wrench into everything!....Pre-order all Classic and Tone Poets from Amazon.....

20. Frangox

Frangox Forum Resident

Tone Poet is pretty much the New Music Matters...

21. scotpagel

scotpagel Forum Resident

I have been purposely not listening to this album until I could hear it from this pressing and nowI guess I'll go listen to a stream of it perhaps they have a HI Def mix.

22. scotpagel

scotpagel Forum Resident

Also, maybe this is a good thing now that we know they are a limited press series.

23. juanmanuel

juanmanuel Forum Resident