Blue Öyster Cult- Album by Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by vinyl diehard, Nov 8, 2019.

1. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

YouTube 'em?

2. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

Knowing you're a big 10CC fan, I think you have to like BOC. They are truly the thinking man's hard rock band...they also have a pretty wicked sense of humor.

Oyster Boy and mark winstanley like this.
  3. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I'll have to check 'em out.
    I have looked at the multichannel discs they have a few times ...

4. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

I'm in for this!

Not a BOC hardcore fan, but have all of the '70s albums and know some of the other stuff as well.

This is a band for which I always drew loose parallels to Kiss. Both from the same general geographic area (Long Island vs. Queens), Both distanced themselves from their audience by personas/stage names, and both embraced mythology as part of their image. Musically, both bands were part of the then-emerging "hard rock" scene. Also, of historical importance IMO, both bands created their mature sound as something apart from what "rock" music had been in the 1960s. Both made music that was un-idealistic and not part of the counterculture.

The comparisons mostly end there. In the beginning, anyway, BOC was a kind of brainy, musically articulate hard rock band with tongue mostly in cheek with the imagery. Kiss's music was simpler, more earnest and direct and mystique was manufactured - they were fully in it for the money. And, of course, Kiss became huge whereas BOC's commercial peak was much smaller. By the time BOC became the thing that they earlier had appeared to only be pretending to be, public interest in them has more or less become fixed. When being a hard rock band in the late-'70s/early '80s mold became passe, BOC faded from view to all but their biggest fans.

I look forward to revisiting the later albums on this thread - some of which I've never heard.

As for that first album - I really like it. I guess it was an attempt at being a US version of Black Sabbath, though to today's ears it sounds quite different.

Doggiedogma likes this.
  5. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

Oh, yeah, that's an option. Just nowhere near my favorite and the completist in me really wants to stumble across copies!

Pouchkine likes this.
  6. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

I think Columbia Records was hoping they were getting a US version of Black Sabbath, but the band didn't think they were anything of the sort.

Doggiedogma and vinyl diehard like this.
  7. Python

Python Forum Resident

Jesus, are HF and Curse really not even available anymore? Did that label (I think it was CMC or something) disappear?

I will protect my copies even more closely knowing I can't get a replacement if need be (at least not in the primary market for a fair price)!

8. GuidedByJonO)))

I'm honestly not sure what happened, but these prices are insane.

Right now on Amazon the cheapest available CD copy of Curse is $62.98. Heck, the cassette version is going for $74.98. Heaven Forbid cheapest copy is $51.93.

Looks like average of around $40-45 for each on Discogs, based on a quick scan.

9. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever Thread Starter

I was lucky then to find HF from a Japanese seller for 15 bucks.

10. vinyl diehard

To be fair, Reaper isn’t a good representation of this band. The first three plus the double live sound completely different as well.

Pouchkine and mark winstanley like this.
  11. GuidedByJonO)))

There was an absolutely terrible movie in the mid-90s, clearly a Dazed and Confused rip-off, called The Stoned Age that had a pretty funny, if decidedly un-PC, quote about "Reaper" and it's purpose.

[Don't fear the Reaper by Blue Oyster Cult begins playing]

Hubbs : What the **** is that?

Joe : It's "Don't fear the Reaper", man.

Hubbs : Hey, you're not playin' that p**** **** in the Blue Torpedo, man. I told you!

Joe : It's Blue Oyster Cult.

Hubbs : I don't give a **** if it's Blue Oyster Cult, man. It's a p**** song!

Joe : If it's B.O.C., how can it be p****?

Hubbs : Lemme' tell you something, every band puts out at least one p**** song so they can find out who the ******* are. Now, take it out!

12. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Cult Classic, Heaven Forbid, Curse Of The Hidden Mirror and A Long Day's Night are going to be reissued in 2020, as part of B.Ö.C.'s new record deal.

13. GuidedByJonO)))

Well that's great news. And a new album! 2020 will be the year of the Cult.

Oyster Boy and Doggiedogma like this.
  14. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

When will this thread continue with the albums :waiting:

15. vinyl diehard

Soon. Patience.

16. vinyl diehard

Alright. First album!

Blue Öyster Cult
    [​IMG]

Blue Öyster Cult
    Released
    January 16, 1972
    Recorded October 1971

Blue Öyster Cult is the eponymous debut studio album by the American hard rock band Blue Öyster Cult, released on January 16, 1972 by Columbia Records. The album featured songs such as "Cities on Flame with Rock and Roll", "Stairway to the Stars", and "Then Came the Last Days of May", all of which the band still plays regularly during its concerts. Despite positive reviews, the album failed to chart for some time before finally cracking the Billboard 200 chart on May 20, 1972, peaking at No. 172. Blue Öyster Cult toured with artists such as The Byrds, Alice Cooper and the Mahavishnu Orchestra to support the album.

The album received a positive reaction from critics. Lester Bangs gave the album a generally positive review in Rolling Stone stating, "with the Blue Öyster Cult, New York has produced its first authentic boogie beast, and with any luck this one should be around for awhile [sic]" telling readers that "I don't think you should miss this album." Circus wrote that "it could well be the album of the Seventies", while Robert Christgau in The Village Voice called it "the tightest and most musical hard rock record since – dare I say it? – Who's Next". The record was named an honorable mention on IGN's list of "Top 25 Metal Albums" and has been called "heavy metal for people who hate heavy metal." Canadian critic Martin Popoff criticized the "limp and lifeless" guitar sound and the unimpressive percussive display, which did not make a good service to the "tragic and beautiful BÖC compositions" on the album, leaving the listener "in muted bewilderment".

Song listing

1. "Transmaniacon MC" 3:21
    2. "I'm on the Lamb but I Ain't No Sheep" 3:10
    3. "Then Came the Last Days of May 3:31
    4. "Stairway to the Stars" 3:43
    5. "Before the Kiss, a Redcap" 4:59

Side two

6. "Screams" 3:10
    7. "She's as Beautiful as a Foot" 2:58
    8. "Cities on Flame with Rock and Roll" 4:03
    9. "Workshop of the Telescopes" 4:01
    10. "Redeemed" 3:51

17. vinyl diehard

Sorry. Can't find a youtube link to the first album.

18. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

Great debut and the first of some excellent albums imo.

Pouchkine likes this.
  19. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

Very raw especially if you were introduced to the band through Agents of Fortune.

20. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

If you click on the youtube link, it should take you to the whole album. Otherwise type in "Blue Oyster Cult Full Album" and it will come up in an individual track arrangement

Edit: It doesn't link to the whole album, so typing those details in will get you there

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
  21. vinyl diehard

My favorite tracks are Before the Kiss a Redcap and Then Came the Last Days of May. But I enjoy the whole album. Their early signature sound is fantastic; very distinctive.
    I have my early Canadian vinyl of this one, plus the MFSL CD 2fer of the S/T and T&M.

The MEZ and Pouchkine like this.
  22. My take from the old album by album thread:
    I actually did not hear this album until around 1978 after I already owned On Your Feet or On Your Knees. The songs are mostly strong with a few remaining active in their live sets for many years. The recording quality is a bit lifeless, but even that can’t keep these good songs down. We got the Creepy “Transmaniacom MC”, She’s as Beautiful as a Foot” and “Workshops of the Telescopes”, the rockers like “Cities on Flame with Rock and Roll” and “Before The Kiss”. Then Came the Last Days of May is a fine debut by Roeser. Not much wrong with this one, “I’m On The Lamb…” will be vastly improved IMO when changed on the next album to “The Red and the Black”. Donovan’s Monkey is a leftover from the Electra days is is pretty damn cool. Great songs, great art and great song titles –the mold is set.

Not much to add to that. Just to sum: a great debut full of excellent songs, but not a great recording. All these songs are improved live from the sonic evidence available in official and unofficial releases.

23. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I often wonder if Flaming Telepaths and Astronomy should have been on Agents of Fortune. Their both better produced than the rest of Secret Treaties.

24. DPM

DPM Senior Member

Solid debut though I think they surpassed it with their next two albums. Overall, I'd rank this one around 5th or 6th in the band's discography.

25. fireprix

fireprix Forum Resident

Though I heard most of their albums prior a few times, I only had Agents Of Fortune and Some Enchanted Evening. I found this on a cassette (which I usually did not buy) in the reduced bin at an Ames store. This was the beginning of collecting any of their releases I could find. I have 30 CD titles including most of the Sony/Columbia mixes they put out almost annually years ago. Also have 2 SACDs, a DVD Audio and the Original Master Recording Ultra Disc II of S/T and Tyranny And Mutation. Also a couple concert DVDs.

Pouchkine and vinyl diehard like this.