Blue Öyster Cult Secret Treaties, mastering it to enhance the way it was actually recorded & mixed.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jul 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DonnyMe

DonnyMe Forum Resident

So, when can we expect to see a release date? Super stoked to see this is getting mastered by the master! Tyranny and Mutation next please!

Dave, Agent of Fortune and giantleech like this.
  2. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Amazon says August 26. We will see. :)

3. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

What is this Blue Oyster Cult and do you have to be a member to get in?

4. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Steve.... I hope your remaster sounds better than the Speakers Corner reissue. This one sounds really bad... never thought SC will release such a sonic disaster.

5. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Quadraphonic radios will appear on my birthday! :pineapple:

6. No Static

No Static Gain Rider

Charles is not the only grinning boy.

7. Ken E.

Ken E. Senior Member

I have loved that 'screech and boom' since I was in H.S. This is great news for a lot of people, I'm sticking with my vinyl - no disrespect intended. Should I ever buy an SACD player I'd love to do an A/B.

8. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

What was the source used for this project?

9. I ordered mine yesterday. This is a favorite album of mine and one many believe is the BOC's best. There is another thread on this release that hopefully can merged with this one.

10. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

I still have my original Cdn vinyl copy, plus a mastered by DADC Austria CD copy. I will definitely be getting this.

11. Rapid Fire

Rapid Fire Hyperactive!

This is awesome news. :pineapple:

12. ChrisEfterklang

ChrisEfterklang Forum Resident

Tapes from the Transylvanian archive housed deep in the Carpathian mountains, guarded by vampires and hellhounds.

13. ress4279

ress4279 Senior Member

14. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

I'll buy complete BOC discography from their first LP to Fire Of Unknown Origin on Audio Fidelity SACD if/when they ever come out. New 5.1 mixes for all albums (save for the two that already have original quad mixes) too, please.

15. bktouchstone

bktouchstone Forum Resident

Already pre-ordered! Didn't own it as a wee child, but want to continue to support the quad issues. I have a feeling this one is going to be great and am very excited for its arrival on my welcoming door mat.

quicksrt and Pete Puma like this.
  16. Also guarded by the Oyster Boys and Cythulu.

17. DonnyMe

DonnyMe Forum Resident

I can hear them chatter on the tide, we understand, we understand, but fear is real and so do I!

18. Steel Horse

Steel Horse Forum Resident

Aha, we're talking cranking. Hope my neighbors will be on vacation when this beast arrives. :D

Agent of Fortune and DonnyMe like this.
  19. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Claus, this album sounds like it was recorded in my old band practice room on a four-track TEAC recorder. That's the charm of it. Mastering engineers seem to always try and transform it into something that it isn't and I think it's the wrong way to go. You cannot pump it up, compress it, add treble, jack up the midband, thin it out, etc. because the important vocals get really thin and unnatural sounding. I did NOT do any of that. Stephen Marsh and I both agreed that this was the way to go, to keep it as original as possible. It's charming, it's fun to listen to like this after all of these years.

The louder you play this one, the better it sounds. I choose to leave it the way it was recorded and mixed.

At least this way you can crank up the entire album and not need to take Tylenol.

Ken E., uzn007, rxcory and 16 others like this.
  20. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

I always listen to a WLP needle drop when I listen to this album and I love it. Can't wait for this SACD and quad !

21. xcqn

xcqn Audiophile

Sorry this is a bit OT but gotta ask.

Is there a reason the same albums that AF are working on shows up at HDTracks at aprox same time as the AF release?

It happened more than once. Coincidence?

22. blueoysterdvp

blueoysterdvp Forum Resident

I wish Steve did the Agents Of Fortune 40th Anniversary vinyl release. Surprised AF isn't releasing Agents as well. Maybe it's being considered. Preordered Secret Treaties also. That's a no brainer. Christmas in August. Glad my neighbors aren't very close! The day it arrives this house will be shaking!

Agent of Fortune likes this.
  23. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I understand... makes sense. This BÖC album belongs in the same category like Bat out of Hell or Born to Run = bad mixes IMO.

24. JustVinyl

JustVinyl Forum Resident

Somehow managed to miss this thread but rectified the situation by immediately pre-ordering.

I really hope there will be more BOC AF SACDs ....

Agent of Fortune and giantleech like this.
  25. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

This sounds awesome. Quad BOC? I'm in!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.