Blue Oyster Cult: new album - "The Symbol Remains" due 9th October 2020

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by four sticks, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Arthur Comics

Arthur Comics Forum Resident

In the meantime, keeping themselves amused with a lively 'Lockdown Godzilla'

2. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Thx for posting that :)

3. mike sullivan

mike sullivan Blues Boy

Personally, i think their last decent album was way back in 1981 with, 'Fire of Unknown Origin.'

sound chaser and jon9091 like this.
  4. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

Don't care for 'Heaven Forbid'?

5. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

Or Imaginos? Still my favourite as it was my entry point to them (I know technically its an Albert album with BOC overdubs). I also think Revolution by Night and Club Ninja have thier moments of greatness as well as does Curse of the Hidden Mirror.

6. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

Oh I agree. I'm a hardcore BOC fan too.

Oyster Boy likes this.
  7. BwanaBob

BwanaBob Forum Resident

It is a f**kin awesome album!

8. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

The Revolution by Night gets way too bad a rap from fans. It has some of their greatest songs ever IMO (Take Me Away, Shooting Shark, Feel the Thunder) and the rest is mostly good. I get that it sounds very 80's, but the songwriting is good and that is all that matters to me. :)

9. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Like many people here who make statements like that he probably never even heard of it, let alone heard it.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Heaven Forbid we do ha ha. I never got into this, but from some of the comments I'll have to re-listen.
    Club and Curse have their moments but not enough. Imaginos I've always liked, saw that tour at a bar outside Chicago, and I like the reworking of "Astronomy" with the kind of trickling intro and the shouted "hey hey" chorus.

Revolution By Night
    I could agree the production sheen is not my favorite. It's not BAD sounding like Black Sabbath's Born Again or the "couldn't you guys afford a better studio" Emerson, Lake and Powell, there's just something like digital bred with analog tape and the baby was not quite right. But Revolution is one of the handful of albums on which I like every single song, in any shuffled order, so for me a bit of a masterpiece. In particular, having moved to L.A. a long time ago, the lines
    "From San Bernadino these angels are racing
    This night to your city
    The host of angels ... Los Angeles"
    are really evocative.

Meanwhile, this is NOT the artwork on my BMG, what's up with that? Why did Steamhammer change it?
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000024YE4

Oyster Boy likes this.
  11. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Yeah thanks, that is cool!
    "Helpless people on subway trains
    Scream, bug-eyed, as he looks in on them
    He picks up a bus and he throws it back down
    As he wades through the buildings toward the center of town"
    Shakespeare, Milton, Whitman etc, all stand aside, THIS is poetry! :D

I have not seen the band in a long time but a bootleg from Glasgow not too long ago sounds good, I'll have to go see the band again. Is that Danny Miranda lower right? Because I'm not familiar with him and that guy looks different from the few pictures online.

905 likes this.
  12. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Yeah that was cool! We can add it to Toto's "Kilimanjaro" on the list of stuff that would be nice to be put out officially.
    WAIT, how about this
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HCGZB7Q
    which actually includes "Wings" (live, not a studio version).
    Jeez, I wish these guys would put out some surround...the interview above seems to indicate that, fingers crossed! "Veteran of the Psychic Wars" and "Take Me Away" in particular would be awesome..."Astronomy"! Heh, it would be interesting to mix the original and Imaginos versions of "Astronomy" together, whatever you call that, like that "Baby I Love Your Way/Free Bird" mix by Will To Power (a search calls it a "medley" but it's more like a mash-up or something)

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. Arthur Comics

[QUOTE I have not seen the band in a long time but a bootleg from Glasgow not too long ago sounds good, I'll have to go see the band again. Is that Danny Miranda lower right? Because I'm not familiar with him and that guy looks different from the few pictures online.[/QUOTE]

Yes that's Danny M. He left when he got a got an offer to join Queen touring but think he rejoined BOC when Kasim Sulton departed.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  14. Calling All Stations

Calling All Stations Forum Resident

I love Imaginos as well. Dark and somewhat proggy / psych.

Oyster Boy likes this.
  15. Python

Python Forum Resident

Revölution was my first BÖC album, as I got (way) into them back in 1984. So there's that, but I really do love it and think it stands up well - yes it sounds "very early '80s," but as I recall, it was the early '80s, and love it or hate it, it was a very formative time in music for me, so I don't mind being reminded of that time. So many other classic bands attempts to "sound '80s" just sound god-awful decades later (Stones, Tom Petty), but as you said, these songs are just so good. Okay, perhaps not so much "Let Go" and "Dragon Lady" (though you've got to love Bloom's "give me Dharma" right before yet another great solo), and "Light Years Of Love" is heavy on the cheese, but as a Joe song, it gets a pass.

What really sucks is that although I've seen them live dozens of times, the only songs I've ever heard them play from it are the two big singles. I can't tell you how many times I've shouted out "Feel The Thunder" between songs, hoping to at least put the idea in their minds - it's such a great Bloom song! They've unearthed occasional deep cuts now and then from pretty much every studio album over the years, except this one, much to my dismay.

Sorry to hijack, regarding the actual subject of this thread - bring it on! They only had about a month on their tour itinerary to work on the album before this virus hit, so maybe having more time in the studio will make it even better. But the first new Cult music (other than Buck's solo tune "Fight," released in 2015 - which might appear again on this one according to a working track list they posted somewhere), in 19 years? I can't wait.

16. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Agreed. They ignore Imaginos (I get why, but it is still a bummer) and basically ignore this album as well except for Take Me Away and Shooting Shark, and even those seems like rarities. Oh well, I won't complain too much considering all of the deep cuts I have seen them play over the years. :)

Oyster Boy likes this.
  17. Arthur Comics

Just a heads up for any fans. Some great old concert video has just popped up on the band's official youtube channel, 70s onwards.

18. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

Link:

BLUE OYSTER CULT

19. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member Thread Starter

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088GJHGJG
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088GJHGJG/

[​IMG]
    August 7 release date

In 2017 Blue Oyster Cult celebrated their 45th Anniversary with a run of festival and headline dates across the UK and Europe. The band's appearance in London at the O2 INDIGO at the Stone Free Festival on June 17th started with a unique performance of BOC's first album in its entirety, a celebration of the 45th anniversary of its release.

In addition, the band added some classic and very special songs to the set. The full show was recorded and videotaped in 4K UHD. This another one of a kind archival release which fans cannot miss!

Tracklisting:
    1. Transmaniacon MC
    2. I'm On The Lamb, But I Ain't No Sheep
    3. Then Came The Last Days Of May
    4. Stairway To The Stars
    5. Before The Kiss, A Redcap
    6. Screams
    7. She's As Beautiful As A Foot
    8. Cities On Flame With Rock And Roll
    9. Workshop Of The Telescopes
    10. Redeemed
    11. Buck’s Boogie
    12. Godzilla
    13. (Don’t Fear) The Reaper
    14. Tattoo Vampire
    15. Hot Rails To Hell

Bonus Videos:
    1. Stairway To The Stars
    2. Redeemed
    3. Screams
    4. She's As Beautiful As A Foot
    5. I'm On The Lamb, But I Ain't No Sheep

Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
  20. Nice artwork!

21. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

This one looks like best set list so far on these in my opinion.

22. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Starts out with whole first album in order. Cool

Oyster Boy and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

If you're a huge fan of the first album it certainly is.

slipkid and Matthew Tate like this.
  24. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

Region 2 playback only?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

I saw BOC live in 2004 and Danny was on bass. He was great!

Matthew Tate and Oyster Boy like this.