Blue Oyster Cult: new album - "The Symbol Remains" due 9th October 2020

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by four sticks, Jul 10, 2019.

1. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

I hold BOC in such regard that when someone else praises them highly, I automatically assume that person is very astute about rock music.

fireprix, lucan_g, rock4ev and 11 others like this.
  2. No Static

No Static Gain Rider

And you would be correct.

3. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Haha, there ya go.

I try to not let a person's opinion on one band affect my thinking in that regard, but meeting people in real life these days who like B.O.C. isn't that easy, so my curiosity is always peaked if they like them. :)

Matthew Tate and HfxBob like this.
  4. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member Thread Starter

It certainly indicates good taste and a proper upbringing.

fireprix, lucan_g, Tom Favata and 5 others like this.
  5. TakiJones

TakiJones Senior Member

6. Echoes71

Echoes71 Forum Resident

Received my copy of Live in London today and, after one listen, I think this very well may become my favorite live BOC album since Extraterrestrial Live. Of course, the fact that they play the debut in full has a lot to do with it, but I was incredibly impressed with how well they pulled it off. In particular, the rarely played tracks, such as Workshop of the Telescopes and Screams, are fantastic. Even Redeemed is nicely done - I wasn't sure how that would play out with this line-up, but they nail it. Kudos to Richie Castellano for pulling out some vintage keyboard sounds to recreate Allen Lanier's parts and Danny Miranda does an amazing job on the bottom end. Even Jules Radino, the weak point of the current line-up IMHO, is tight and a little less stiff in his playing. Buck, of course, is still playing like someone half his age and Eric's voice is surprisingly strong, other than in one or two spots where he has trouble sustaining notes (most noticeably on Cities on Flame, which has become a real challenge for him in recent years). Interestingly enough, I think Buck's voice is starting to show signs of aging, as he sounds just a little less smooth than usual. I never thought I would say that!

I do wish that the CD had just contained the debut and, maybe, Buck's Boogie, which is a great version. Tacking on yet another version of Godzilla and Reaper takes away from the early Cult vibe. Same goes for Tattoo Vampire and Hot Rails, while are great songs of course but don't belong here. I would have been happy to have those tracks as bonus on the DVD and keep the CD focused just on the debut. Very minor gripe, though.

Haven't watched the video yet, but I'm looking forward to doing so soon. Anyway, highly recommended if you're a fan!!

7. George Co-Stanza

I'll have to read a bunch of reviews before taking the plunge on this one. Most of the songs I like the most from the first album (Last Days of May, Before the Kiss..., Cities on Flame) are on other live albums already, and the additional tracks aren't anything I don't have live already. Glad you are digging it, though! :cool:

Matthew Tate and Echoes71 like this.
  8. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I feel that way about The iHeart Radio NYC 2012 set. Might be my favorite official live Blue Öyster Cult album (& did not even look at the DVD yet). I think the sound quality is excellent, can hear all the instruments/vocals great, the band are playing great etc. My only gripe is that it has Shooting Shark on it (which is not a song I like) as opposed to Last Days of May or Astronomy for the lengthy guitar song. Pretty nice setlist with Cities on Flame, Career of Evil, The Vigil, and Black Blade all in a row b4 usual strong closers in Godzilla and Reaper.

9. Tom Favata

Tom Favata tbuick6

I sprung for the 24 Bit HD Tracks download. They have a 20% off on new releases code this weekend. Sounds great and as Echoes71 nicely reviewed above, the set is killer. Definitely stands admirably with their earlier live albums. Can't wait for October!

10. Tom Favata

Tom Favata tbuick6

Hey! I love Shooting Shark! Fun song. But hey, I also love Dylan’s Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle, so what do I know?!!

11. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

In an odd coincidence, I was just reading on the Waterboys thread that some people were a little turned off by things they read on Mike Scott's Twitter feed.

So I went there out of curiosity, and not far down, Mike Scott lists his 10 favorite BOC songs, and a bunch of other people join in the discussion on BOC. It's pretty cool.

The date of this was August 7.

slipkid likes this.
  12. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Shooting Shark does have its devotees in this thread, you are not alone. Just doesn't work for me.

I got the Live in London set in today's mail. WOW what a setlist! Can see why you dug it.

sound chaser and Oyster Boy like this.
  13. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

I love Shooting Shark as well. Its got a great dreamy quality that gets me in the guts.

14. Echoes71

Echoes71 Forum Resident

Interestingly enough, I never really liked Shooting Shark until the current band started playing it. Now I love it.

15. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

If you like Shooting Stark you have to see the 'Buck Dharma Band' version of it on YouTube. It's just Buck, bass player and drums so it's more stripped down and relies more on his guitar.

slipkid and Oyster Boy like this.
  16. George Co-Stanza

Absolutely. The live versions are solid, and I am glad I got to see it live once back in the early 00's, but it's impossible to top the studio version. The production, the sax, the electronic drums, etc. all come together to give it that smooth, dreamy feel that simply cannot be recaptured live.

Oyster Boy and Matthew Tate like this.
  17. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

They did it in Leeds last year, sublime.

18. rock4ev

rock4ev Forum Resident

I am looking forward to the new album.
    On a side note, I saw something that made my day about a couple weeks ago, it was on YouTube and it was BOC playing live on 7/18.
    I was intrigued bc it the clip was only 3 days old, so I just had to see what this was.
    Well it was them playing in NE (I believe, or NH, can't remember right now) and it was in a drive in setting like, tho in the countryside (so people are all in their cars only).
    They start off saying they haven't playing (most likely performed).
    The stage was a pro scaffolding and the show is pro captured sound and vision.
    They start of and whatever rust (comfort level) is knocked off by 3rd song easily and they lock in and sound amazing! They talk to crowd after.songs with "thank yous" and " did you like that one, flash your lights", also they talk about the new album.

It's about a 2hr performance and the sound and performance is Top Notch!
    These guys love to play and they play anywhere anytime, where most bands that had some popularity of theirs are almost always fickle about how much and what caliber of shows when it comes to live performing. That's never been BOC's case and over the decades since their heyday I've seen em play small clubs/venues to fairs and free beach shows.
    They are the real deal, "nuff said" ( words of the mighty Stan Lee.

Cheers, and check it out if your a fan.

19. Echoes71

Echoes71 Forum Resident

Yeah, this show was in New Hampshire and I wish I had known about it sooner, as I totally would have made the drive from Maine, where I live! Unfortunately, I didn’t know about it until the week after. I’m glad they posted it on their YT channel. Sounds great!

No Static likes this.
  20. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

I just got the new 45th Anniversary release. There’s a great Last Days Of May on there.

21. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member Thread Starter

[​IMG]

October 9
    1. That Was Me
    2. Box In My Head
    3. Tainted Blood
    4. Nightmare Epiphany
    5. Edge Of The World
    6. The Machine
    7. Train True (Lennie’s Song)
    8. The Return Of St. Cecilia
    9. Stand And Fight
    10. Florida Man
    11. The Alchemist
    12. Secret Road
    13. There’s A Crime
    14. Fight

22. George Co-Stanza

Love that cover!

Can't wait to hear what new stuff they're given us. R U ready to rock?? Yes, I am. :cool:

23. Echoes71

Echoes71 Forum Resident

“The Return of St Cecilia”!!!!

Some of those other song titles, though - “Stand and Fight” and “Fight”???? I sure hope they are thematically linked...

slipkid and Matthew Tate like this.
  24. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

14 songs is a lot too. May be a long CD, like a 70's era double (or even triple) album.

Will be interesting to see who wrote what. Being a Buck man myself I hope most of the songs are his.

Oyster Boy, Matthew Tate and Echoes71 like this.
  25. George Co-Stanza

Haha, yeah, some of those songs titles seem rather boring, but that doesn't mean the songs will be. We'll see if a song or two gets released prior to the official release date with lyric videos or something.

Matthew Tate and Echoes71 like this.